Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raw Milk

Options
  • 22-04-2010 9:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get some raw milk, does anyone know if it can be got in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A farmers market would be the best bet, and speak cautiously, it is illegal to sell it AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭raptorman

Illegal? I didnt know that, its supposed to be great for you from what I've read. Often had it on my Granfathers farm back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

It's properties would probably only benefit you if you drank it as a replacement to pasturized and homogenized milk full time. It builds up resistance to germs and bugs, can help with hayfever etc apparently.

I don't really notice a difference in taste, its a bit creamier I guess because it's not seperated as well from the cream as it would be in a creamery. A lot of people don't like the idea of it but that's because we've been brought up in such a sterilized world!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I grew up on a dairy farm and drank unpasteurized milk for years and also
    had/have bad enough hay fever!

We used to have to scoop the cream off the top of the jug the day after :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

theres not a bloody chance in hell id drink unpasturised milk.

if i remember rightly a child died couple of years ago from drinking such milk.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    A farmers market would be the best bet, and speak cautiously, it is illegal to sell it AFAIK.
    youd be in breach of basic food safety regs!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Voltex wrote: »
    theres not a bloody chance in hell id drink unpasturised milk.

if i remember rightly a child died couple of years ago from drinking such milk.

I drank unpasturised milk pretty much every day for 17 years without any problems. How would someone die from it, unless they were allergic or their was something in it.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm079516.htm

gives brief outline as to why not to drink raw milk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

You would probably need to go to a farm and get it on the Q.T,farmers are frowned upon selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

sweetie wrote: »
    I grew up on a dairy farm and drank unpasteurized milk for years and also
    had/have bad enough hay fever!

Whoops, I got mixed up there. What I should have said re hay fever is that by eating local honey it's supposed to be good for counteracting hayfever. I had a conversation with Darina Allen and this was discussed as well as the raw milk! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement