Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

aerosol paint

• 22-04-2010 9:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe I've been watching too much Wheeler Dealers but I think maybe they might be the answer to my problem. What would you think?

It's actually a cheap/ rough-ish fully faired 1998 bike that had a full respray in the past but it turned out quite badly. I had a crack at compounding it but the paint is just too uneven and thin in places. Through work, I can get a hold of the materials at trade price and I have a qualified painter/ panel beater friend who can paint it as a favour, only no access to a booth.

How well could it turn out? I'd be painting all of the plastics only, so I wouldn't be matching anything else. I wouldn't be too fussy about a showroom finish. I'd be happy to just undo the bad respray and replace it with something more acceptable.

Alternatively, I have access to large, clean, empty warehouse with a compressor. Would this be a vaible alternative??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Here's a nice matte black rattle can respray.

DSC00150.jpg

I've tested spraying a front quarter panel with gloss black and it looked like it would work pretty well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

you can get good results but you need to know what you're doing

http://www.motorcyclepartsx.com/cheap-motorcycle-painting.htm

i would also add that i put the cans in hit water before and between coats because its too cold here and that i use halogen lamps to "bake" the coats on

ones like this work well

2x%20500w%20Halogen%20floodlight%20Lamp%20On%20Telescopic%20Stand.jpg

you can rent them or i bought the lamps for €5 each and built my own stands

Should be fine if an experienced lad is doing it, I would think most spray painters have f all experience with rattle cans though so that's a worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I've done quite a bit of painting with rattle cans :D Alloys, plastic body panels etc. and they all turned out pretty well.

Main thing is to prep and prep well. A badly prepped surface will give you a bad paint job. No matter how much you're tempted, don't rush it.

Make sure that each coat is thin and don't apply thick coats. A build up is always better than a run down ;)

Also, PaintDoctor here will be able to give you a few tips!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The only problem I have with spray cans (I use them for my primer), is that the flow can be uneven, they can get clogged, and as result you get uneven coverage, with splodges of paint built up here and there. Doesn't matter with my primer because I wet sand it after to get it smooth.

The best bit of advice I can give you is to start off the panel, push the button, and make an even speed pass from left to right about 8-9 inches back from the panel just dusting it on, and finish off the panel. Build up several dust coats, it's better than putting on a thick coat which can either run, or be uneven due to the uneven nature of the spray can getting blocked up, or the propellant inside not releasing evenly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Ive done a fair bit of rattle can painting (same stuff as einheisserschre) too, the only issue I ever have is when its time for the Sealant.

I lightly rub down the paint with 1200grit (Wet) then spray it on. Looks great. Come back 15-20min later and I always seem to have streaks of white dots in certain areas. Then have to resand and repaint. :rolleyes:

Cant figure out why!

Advertisement