Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bakery

Options
  • 22-04-2010 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

In town on lunch yesterday and that bakery on Mainguard st. opened up. Called the Petit Delize if I'm not mistaken. I'm not a big fan of sweet cakes but the other half is and really liked what was oo offer. I love my bread and thought it was pretty reasonable; nice baguette for €1.20 and fancy looking buns and tartlet cakes were around €2.00. So they're not taking the p*ss pricewise anyway. Not selling coffee though for some reason! A nice addition for my lunchtime destination.
    It was funny then to see Griffins Bakery up the street painting up the front of their shop and putting in a new window or something. I think they'll need to stop burning their bread first.
    The Fuji film place opened too, but wasn't in there yet. Things on the up...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

There is a lack of bakeries in galway so I'm delighted with this for one; I remember the one in the Cornstore for it's delicious coffee flavoured croissants... and the Lydons one in the Eyre Square shopping Centre; do they still have on in Terryland Dunnes? I know there is an O'Hehirs in Briarhill and in Westside but it was a shame to see the one on Dominic Street close down.

God i love cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

That bakery in the Cornstore was amazing! Such a shame it closed down. I could never get to like O'Hehirs, the one in Westside is fairly grim but the one in Dominic st was alright.

I'll definitely give the new place a shot, pity they don't do coffee though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Was in there yesterday had a custard slice thingy. It was massive and quite nice but I found the pricing slightly random, like you said the baguette is good value, but then the rye loaves were al bit small and expensive for the size compared to o'heirs. Since they only opened yesterday hopefully they'll be getting a coffee machine and have more merchandise/variety soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

O'Heirs was never really a proper bakery , my view of a bakery is a place where the bread and pastries are cooked fresh on site . Griffins is a top class bakery also , i suffer from cravings for Gourmet Tart Co. mmmmmmm :o

3fullback wrote: »
    O'Heirs was never really a proper bakery , my view of a bakery is a place where the bread and pastries are cooked fresh on site . Griffins is a top class bakery also , i suffer from cravings for Gourmet Tart Co. mmmmmmm :o

Never liked Gourmet Tart tho :( The food always tastes soggy and the desserts are overpriced imo.

Bring back the Cornstore bakery, I remember skivving of school to have tea and a bun in the cafe next door, they would like you buy a bun and sit in their seats..ah the days of youth and cake...

Slight hijack but..Anyone know where you can get Coffee Castle buns? Griffins have them but only sometimes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Chibodee

I'm not a huge fan of Gourmet Tart either..It's waaaay too expensive and they aren't cooked onsite either anyways! It's good a see a new bakery in town!
    Not entirely sure but do O'Connors do those Coffee bun things maybe?!

Chibodee wrote: »
    I'm not a huge fan of Gourmet Tart either..It's waaaay too expensive and they aren't cooked onsite either anyways! It's good a see a new bakery in town!
    Not entirely sure but do O'Connors do those Coffee bun things maybe?!

Where's that? I thought they were gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

From what I can gather from a quick google, they supply McCambridges Griffins and Mortons in Salthill, so I suppose was only a matter of time before they started selling direct themselves.
    Was in again today. Picked up a roll with cheese and ham rolled through the bread, if that makes sense... twas yummy. But thats it for me now for a few days, will have to avoid that street for a while, way too tempting for me. Husband will be there Saturday though. I'd say they plan on the coffee/seating as there was a door at the back open today and saw a big empty area out there, so I'd say its only a matter of time before they expand for the coffees. I think its great to see some local shops opening and not closing for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Chibodee

Where's that? I thought they were gone?

Hmmm haven't actually been there in AGES so maybe it has :( but if not its located 3 Francis Street opposite the church!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

3fullback wrote: »

O'Heirs is baked on site, just not on a site in Galway. :pac: I quite like the Gourmet Tart Co. desserts, but they are a bit pricey as mentioned.

• Advertisement

Oh O'connors, now i remember, yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭RubyBlu

I thought Goyas supplied to McCambridges. Who did you say does? Where is this O'Connors place?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

From what I can gather from a quick google, they supply McCambridges Griffins and Mortons in Salthill, so I suppose was only a matter of time before they started selling direct themselves. .

Oh dear. We bought a lemon meraingue pie from Mortons recently and I'd say only 4 bites of it were taken before it had to go into the bin. It put me off for life :(.

Does anyone remember Lydon House Bakery shop on Shop Street
    ?
    It used to be where Zhivago's is now? That was the nicest bakery ever in Galway. I can still remember the smell that you got the moment you walked in the door and the acres of lovely fresh buns that were laid out behind lovely glass counters. There was something very quaint about it and everything there was perfectly fresh and delicious. It closed in 1990 something when I was still quiet small but nowhere has ever lived up to it again!

I think Goyas is probably as good as it gets these days but it's wickedly over priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

chilly wrote: »
    Oh dear. We bought a lemon meraingue pie from Mortons recently and I'd say only 4 bites of it were taken before it had to go into the bin. It put me off for life :(.

The new french bakery place supply the "rustic" breads to those places I think. Seems more about baking breads than sweets. The cakes looked fine but lemon meraingue sounds like something that should be binned to me anyways, hubby though would probably lick the wrapper.... although he also uses this boards.ie account, so he might give out at that. Says about McCambridge's here in the link, 2for1 coffee too if anyone interested (o o small print Mon-Friday 3-5) http://www.ibuyvouchers.com/index.php?option=com_sobi2&sobi2Task=sobi2Details&sobi2Id=524&Itemid=13&lang=en .

Thanks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Got a baguette in the new place yesterday and it was perfect!

chilly wrote: »

It mustn't have been that bad if you went back four times....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭cianof

Great addition to Galway, bought some bread and a chocolate cream slice. Both very tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

Chibodee wrote: »
    I'm not a huge fan of Gourmet Tart either..It's waaaay too expensive and they aren't cooked onsite either

They are cooked onsite - at the original branch on Henry St. near Cooke's Corner. Personally I think everything they do is fantastic, whether sandwiches, croissants or cakes and it's not particularly expensive compared to say Goyas which would be the nearest in terms of quality and offering.

Haven't tried the new place yet but it's a nice addition to the street - it's always been a bit dead along there compared to the rest of the area - hope they put tables outside etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭cianof

Gourmet Tart is good quality, but maybe a small bit expensive.

One thing that struck me about the new place was their presentation.
    They put the chocolate slice in a box, wrapped it in the bakeries wrapper and sealed it with the bakeries sticker. Nice touch I thought.

• Advertisement
Advertisement