Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toll House cookies - what are the amounts in grams?

Options
  • 22-04-2010 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭

A friend gave me the Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe but it is in US measurements.
    I've searched online for converters (to convert to grams) but there is no consistency in them.
    http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/us_cups_to_weight.htm
    http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/cooking-conversions/gram-conversions.aspx

If anyone uses this recipe, what amounts do you use?
    Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe:

3/4 cup sugar
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1 cup butter (softened)
    1tsp vanilla
    2 eggs

2 1/4 cups flour
    1tsp baking soda
    1tsp salt (may want less)

12oz choc chips

Mix all first set of ingredients (sugar to eggs). Mix next lot in separate bowl and then then add to first ingredients.
    Bake at 180-190 for 9-11 minutes.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You can buy standardised measuring cups which may help. I use them for American recipes. Otherwise, this website has been recommended here before: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/cooking-conversions/gram-conversions.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

daymobrew wrote: »
    If anyone uses this recipe, what amounts do you use?

150g sugar
    165g brown sugar (light)
    227g butter (softened)
    1tsp vanilla
    2 eggs

280g flour
    1tsp baking soda
    1tsp salt (may want less) - omit if using salted butter

340g choc chips

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Thanks for the link and the gram amounts.

I made a batch this morning and I am quite happy with the outcome - they didn't spread out (and become flat) like a batch with a different recipe (Faith and Magic Monkey helped me there too). I got today's good result without chilling the dough!
    I softened the butter in the microwave until it was very soft.

I only used about 1/2 the sugar because my 2 year old will be eating some of them but I might make an 'adult-only' batch with the full amount.
    I only used 250g of chocolate chips because 340g seemed too much - I'll put the entire 340g in next time as there isn't any harm in having loads of chocolate chips.

They are quite soft and light on the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Here's the recipe in Metric:

Original Nestle® Toll House® Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients
    • 280 g all-purpose flour
    • 5 g baking soda
    • 6 g salt
    • 225 g butter or margarine, softened
    • 150 g granulated sugar
    • 165 g packed brown sugar
    • 5 ml vanilla extract
    • 2 large egg
    • 336 g NESTLE® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels or other chocolate chips
    • 120 g chopped nuts

Directions
    1. PREHEAT oven to 375 degrees F or 180 degrees C.
    2. COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.
    3. BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
    Nutritional Information
    Amount Per Serving Calories: 108 | Total Fat: 6.2g | Cholesterol: 15mg
    Makes about 60 cookies!

Advertisement