Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should I tell employer that I may be emigrating?

Options
  • 22-04-2010 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My wife is going for an interview for her dream job in Canada in three weeks. If she gets it she would be moving there in August / September with me following once the visas are sorted.

I'm wondering if I should tell my boss that there is a possibility that I will be emigrating or would this be considered notice? If she gets this job then it would take time to train in someone to do what I'm doing at the moment. If she doesn't get it though I would still be staying on so I don't want them to think that I'm going for sure.

There is also the possibility that the company will let me go, make my position redundant and hire someone else to do my job with a slightly different job description and title. This happened last year to someone in a different line when he told his supervisor (in confidence) that he was considering moving to Galway to be nearer to his ill mother and that he had started to look for jobs there.

To be honest being made redundant wouldn't be a bad thing if she got the job as it'd be a nice cushion in case it takes me a while to get set up over there but if she didn't get it then I'd be looking for a new job here.

My boss is unapproachable at the best of times and the last thing that I want is a bad reference if they think that I'm not giving them proper notice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dazzlermac

tell them nothin imo.............................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

proper notice is a month.

you'll have plenty of time to tell them if your other half gets the job as its only April now.

No point in jeopardising your current situation for something that may or may not happen

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

My wife is going for an interview for her dream job in Canada in three weeks. If she gets it she would be moving there in August / September with me following once the visas are sorted.
    And that's a BIG if she gets the job. So no, tell the boss nothing, until she has the contract signed. It'll take a while for you to move all your stuff over, so wait till she has the job. It's a lot better than kicking yourself in the arse when you're on the scratcher...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Denimgirl

Look after yourself,tell them nothing don't stress coz we're all only a number in a job.tell them when you know for sure your going.

Think about yourself don't mind the job say nothing

Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

No don't tell them.
    They don't need to know until you've something definite to say to them.I know a replacement would need training, but they'll manage. You're not the first, and you won't be the last to be in this position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I wouldnt bother telling them.
    My experience is that replacements are only coming in once you are gone. So you wouldnt have time to train your successor anyway.

So if all works out for your wife give your boss the proper notice and leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Erkhan

Do not tell your intentions to your employer. Perhaps you have friendship and a sense of loyalty and your leaving might create a problem for them but only give them the notice they expect and required, ie a month or whatever is in your contract. You will not and cannot get a bad reference if You handed in your notice with the time they require.

If there is talk of redundancy, then letting your employer know You are leaving the country anyway will let them know not to offer it to you. If there is genuine offers of redundancy express an interest but even then do not tell them you are leaving the country, tell them if they ask that you that you will use the money to go back to college or set up a business or anything that doesn't mean your going to leave anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Imagine that your employer was considering making you redundant, or some other major change to your job.

Do you think that s/he would tell you sooner than necessary, just in case? Or would s/he wait until the proper time, and give you the required period of notice.

Advertisement