Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox took one hen and left two dead

Options
  • 22-04-2010 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

This happened the early hours of this morning. It attempted to burrow underneath the fence in one place, couldn't manage it there so tried elsewhere…successfully.

The first I knew was when I saw one lying dead in the pen and then discovered another. The remaining three appear to be unharmed.

Does anyone know what to do about this? I've head hens for over 18 months and have never shut them in the coop so far – just allowed them to go in to roost and then come out at first light.

For a start I'm going to have to shut the coop at night but I'd prefer to catch the fox and release it elsewhere.

I've made enquiries locally and can't get a fox trap and, even if I was so inclined, shooting isn't an option as it's a residential area.

I intend to put some wire at the bottom of the fence and would appreciate some advice on how to do this.

Or how about an electric fence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

There are rules regarding electric fences in residential areas, so check with your council before you lay any money out for that option.

You can put chicken wire under the fence - basically trench down six inches and across by one foot. Lay the wire in an L shape, the top part down the fence, the bottom of the L heading outwards into your newly dug trench. Backfill with soil and allow the grass to get fairly long on the outside of the pen, which will help hold the chicken wire in place and interfere with digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭fergalfrog

Are you sure it was a fox?

As I understand a mink will kill for the sake of it. Hence it may have killed the other two 'for fun'.

I am by no means an expert but just throwing it out there as a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Foxes kill for fun - they get into a killing frenzy and are known to have killed all hens in houses, so, while not meaning to sound harsh, you're lucky to only have lost 3 hens.

Mink don't tend to live in residential areas to the same extent as foxes, but if there are two small holes or puncture wounds on the chickens' necks, then it was a mink. If they're aren't, then it was a fox.

As mentioned above, foxes will dig down under a fence, so if you're putting up fencing you'll need to put wire down quite a depth underground to hinder the fox from doing this. You also need to bear in mind that foxes will eat through chicken wire, so having a strong type of wire, or several layers would also help.

Trapping the fox and moving him to another location won't really help. Don't forget, it won't be the only fox in the area, not to mention the fact that foxes will travel good distances hunting for food, so releasing it elsewhere won't guarantee the safety of your hens.

For the moment, ensure that your hens are locked in at night - from dusk to dawn. And start tonight. Now that the fox has found 'easy pickings', the chances are it'll be back tonight.

Also, have you got a dog? If not, maybe consider getting one as it may deter the fox from coming into your garden to take your hens.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

convert wrote: »
    Foxes kill for fun

This myth was dispelled years ago. Foxes do not kill for fun. The only animals that do this are humans. The fox kills all the hens because it does not know when it will next get an opportunity to obtain food. If you left a pen unattended then the fox would return to take the remainder of dead chickens & bury them as a future food source.

Read The Complete Fox by Les Stocker of Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital. Les has studied, rescued, rehabilitated & released hundreds of foxes & is now regarded as a foremost expert.

I kept hens, ducks & geese in the countryside for about 20 years & never lost one to a fox. A proper hen run will have a mesh floor - I used to use chainlink fence. Most of the modern hen houses being sold are useless & have tiny latches & bolts that offer no security. You need a very secure hen house & then ensure that the hens are locked in at night.

Please do not get a dog just to protect your hens. Only get a dog if you really, really want one & are prepared to commit to it's lifelong care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

i always lock my hens in every night, a fox will spend a long time looking around and would see your hens not locked in as an easy target, how high is the fence, burying the wire will work but you will have to go very deep, as foxes dig a lot, elec fencing might work for a bit but a clever fox can work around it, where are you from, i can give you a trap if you are near, failing that, maybe try local gun club, they should have a trap you could borrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Place wire on the ground of the run, let it come outside of it a bit as well and pin it down and place the run itself if possible on top for weight.
    Wouldn't use regular chicken wire, it's very flimsy. Using a stronger guage will help. It's better to leave the chickens in at night for their own safety.

Another alternative is to use a strong dog type run for the hens and place the coop inside of it, like the cill dara runs. Adding some wire for the top, the cill dara or similar runs are great for hens, rabbits, cats and since they are used to keeping dogs etc. in they are great for keeping foxes out.

Some say if you pee around the area it puts foxes off, not sure how true that is.

Not in favour of killing the poor fox, at the end of the day there are methods to keep hens in a good sized run without a fox being able to get at them.
    I'm in the countryside and have had rabbits and guineas outside before although locked them in at night and never had any issues and we have plenty of foxes about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Interesting feedback on foxes and wire - chicken wire has worked for us, I didn't know they'd chew through it. One of my brothers has just had a space fenced off in a field he's bought in Scotland. He's planting an orchard and wants protection for his young trees from deer, rabbits etc; but also protection from foxes if he decided to allow chickens to roam the orchard.

The fencer put up a chainlink fence using large posts, and double wired the bottom section using something with smaller holes - I'm not sure what kind. He came out very far, one metre, but didn't bury the lying part of the wire much at all - I believe he left it on the surface and said that when the grass grows up through it, a grown man would have considerable trouble pulling it up, let alone an animal - and his logic was a fox wouldn't dig a metre long trench to get under it. It'll be interesting to see if that works!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

My chicken are safely locked into their coops at night, there is no need to keep them out in the run. Mine are in the coop by nightfall and wait for me to shut the door. Alot safer for the animals and alot better for your peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Lock you hens in of a night otherwise what else can you expect.The fox is only doing what comes naturally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Discodog wrote: »
    Foxes do not kill for fun. The only animals that do this are humans.

Attack the post not the posters please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Goes against the charter.Removed after post reported.

Advertisement