Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speed bump busts me Oil Sump

• 22-04-2010 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

Driving through a narrow road at Dusk in Drumcondra and went over a spend bump to quickly and my 96' Laguna is leaking oil.

The thing is unlike the other speed bumps on the road this one had no markers, no with lines, jus a red brick speed bump which i didn't see until too late.:mad:

Do I have a case here to claim off the council for not making it more visible?

Also if someone could recommend a honest garage in south Dublin i would greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Driving through a narrow road at Dusk in Drumcondra and went over a spend bump to quickly and my 96' Laguna is leaking oil.

The thing is unlike the other speed bumps on the road this one had no markers, no with lines, jus a red brick speed bump which i didn't see until too late.:mad:

Do I have a case here to claim off the council for not making it more visible?

Also if someone could recommend a honest garage in south Dublin i would greatly appreciate it.
    simple answer
    no
    where there are speed bumps there are speed limits, so hard luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

goat2 wrote: »
    simple answer
    no
    where there are speed bumps there are speed limits, so hard luck

Your definite answer is based on?

Many ramps are capable of severe damage should they be hit at 30 mph. IMO the ramps would need to be signposted. If not, I would be rather annoyed if I kit one causing damage.

OP, What speed limit in force? Any signposts?

Any sign saying speed bumps ahead ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I don't think you have a case unfortunately. I think this was covered before on motors, but unless the road or road surface was damaged, you are out of luck, i think.

I see the high horse brigade are already here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

They have to be sign posted. A neighbour of mine claims to have gotten "satisfaction" from the council for damage caused by a speed bump (red brick one, as it happens) even though there are signs and the thing is painted. I'd definitely make a test call to the council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

cadaliac wrote: »
    I see the high horse brigade are already here.
    * yawns *

I'd imagine it depends on the speed bump, really. While most can be taken at or above the speed limit by most well-maintained cars, I have seen the odd one that more closely resembles a kerb. If I were the OP i'd take a good selection of pics - there are just too many variables here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Try ANY speedbump at anything above 10mph in an alfa 166..... BANG.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

Check with Dublin Ciry Council what their guidelines are for Traffic Calming installations, especially speedbumps (or speed cushions), don't explain why you are asking.

Then, have a proper look at the speed bump in question and see how it measures up to the guidelines that you have been given.

I have gotten Fingal Co. Co's guidelines before and challenged a proposed installation near my house. You would be suprised how many traffic calming measures do not comply with the council's own set of guidelines.

The key word here is 'guideline' as they will then try to hide behind the fact that they don't have to work along the guideline. But I am sure if you had a competently written letter showing how the council's failure to adhere to their own set of guidelines caused actual damage to your car, they may be open to a resolution.

mickdw wrote: »
    Try ANY speedbump at anything above 10mph in an alfa 166..... BANG.:eek:
    True, 156s are the same. It still amazes me how few people realize that, on our roads, compliance = speed.

I've also seen subsidence around ramps, which in effect makes them bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

i went over the first few speed bumps safely then accelerated so i would say i was doing around 25 mph.

I would think there were signposts there, but even the passenger with me said he didn't even see the bump on the road ahead.

• Advertisement

Below is Fingal's basic guidelines:

1) A maximum height of 75mm for ramps.
    2) Maximum side slope of 1 in 4 for cushions.
    3) Spacing between cushions: 60m to 100m.
    4) Location of traffic calming measures: Close to places where speed is already low (such as junctions or sharp bends) and regular spacing thereafter.
    5) There is no specification on material type but preformed ramps are often used to ensure uniformity of shape

Have a look at this document http://www.dto.ie/traffic_manual.pdf

That will explain in more detail what the Dublin Transport Office see as best practice.

It seems that there was a scourge of developers just putting in any auld speed ramp, cushion to satisfy planning conditions and the councils don't bother making sure they are to spec.

i went over the first few speed bumps safely then accelerated so i would say i was doing around 25 mph.

I would think there were signposts there, but even the passenger with me said he didn't even see the bump on the road ahead.
    Not trying to be difficult, but are you sure the suspension of your car was in good condition? Older cars do tend to loosen up over time, making them more vulnerable to that kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Id say the council will worm their way out of it.

I dont get speed bumps. A road has a speed limit of X and yet they put in a measure to limit speed to X - 60 or 70%.

Just lower the speed limit and enforce it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

If it's in Drumcondra, then there would have been signposts. Every second sign post in Drumcondra says Ramps.

You should try Ballyboughal for speed humps. Sensible ones through the village which I don't mind at all, but there is one just on the very edge of "town" when you are leaving (northbound) which is about half a milea away from the previous bump. No sign specifically for that hump and it's caught me a few times - thankfully no damage though.

Sounds like you weren't paying attention to be honest.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Not trying to be difficult, but are you sure the suspension of your car was in good condition? Older cars do tend to loosen up over time, making them more vulnerable to that kind of thing.

The car suspension is in good condition.
    Was quoted €200 labour to replace the sump, though I am not even sure its the sump that busted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I suspect this was on Iona/St Alphonsus road, which has ramps all along it, but there's one in the middle twice the height of the rest which you need to go really slow over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Was quoted €200 labour to replace the sump, though I am not even sure its the sump that busted.

Herself broke the sump on a kerb onetime, and my cowboy independent mechanic was able to weld it for a lot less than replacing it.

I suspect this was on Iona/St Alphonsus road, which has ramps all along it, but there's one in the middle twice the height of the rest which you need to go really slow over.

if that is the case, well then more than likely the ramp is out of spec for the council's guidelines and in my opinion there would be a case for looking for compensation.

Can you take a council to the Small Claims Court?

Herself broke the sump on a kerb onetime, and my cowboy independent mechanic was able to weld it for a lot less than replacing it.

I've been told it's an alliminium sump so you can't weld it.

With regards the traffic manual it says this...

Clear, conspicuous signs and road markings can help to do this.
    Signs should be provided in advance of the features and should
    incorporate a distance plate if appropriate. If the features are
    greater than 150m apart they should be signed individually.
    Although there is no prescribed marking to be placed on the
    features, they should be marked clearly. This can be achieved in
    a number of ways. In the UK triangular markings are required to
    be placed on the features. In Holland and Germany a chequer
    marking is commonly used across the whole width of the
    measure. In Ireland a variety of markings have been used in
    recent years. It is the responsibility of each road authority to
    satisfy itself that the markings used are clear and unambiguous.
    The signs and markings should be positioned so that parked
    vehicles do not obscure their visibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

jesus, just take responsibility for your own actions and stop trying to get someone else to pay for something which was entirely your fault.

you obviously were not paying due care and attention to the road, otherwise you would have noticed the severity of the bump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

jesus, just take responsibility for your own actions and stop trying to get someone else to pay for something which was entirely your fault.

you obviously were not paying due care and attention to the road, otherwise you would have noticed the severity of the bump.
    you were in a hurry
    the more hurry the less speed
    you have to crawl over those things otherwise this is the result
    look after numor uno
    so
    i do know someone else in my family this happened to
    they were giving out about bumps and bill
    they learned a lesson a dear one

Advertisement