Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Ross 400, 8/5/2010

• 22-04-2010 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭

Repost from the Audax Ireland list:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As most of you know the above event is on the 8th of May New Ross 400km Audax starting from Bray usual place Eagan's Upper Dargle Road 6am
    I will close entry,s one week before and and no entrys on line
    lights are a must as is plenty of clothing and some food
    Forward two stamped addressed envelopes with 5 euro
    An entry form can be downloaded from Sorrento web site
    Please send one of these with your CI No. or other licence details
    The control,s are as follow,s
    Bray, Blessington, Ashford, Gorey,Carlow,New Ross, Wexford, Gorey, Bray
    Time limit is 27 hours
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Email cloughcorrone@aol.com for his address or other details.

I was chatting with John on Saturday and it should be similar in character to the Hollywood 300 - the only big climb is the Wicklow Gap, the route should be easy to navigate, and the controls will be unmanned i.e. you'll need to sort your own proof of passage at each one - shop receipt, ATM receipt, garda station stamp or what have you.

I will be doing this, assuming I survive the Brevet Cymru 400 the previous weekend.
    [/FONT]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I was a bit surprised by the 6am start; 2am is normal for a 400, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

I think 6am is fairly normal for a 400 at this time of year - the REK starts at 4am but that's in June when it gets light much earlier. I'd say 2am is a likely finish time though.

Do you have any idea how fast the "time triallists" did on the 300? I am presuming that is John and a few other guys- maybe the Wexford Wheelers guy? He was going fast enough on the 200 anyway, I was away with him between Ardattin and Rathdrum.

I'd be thinking of more 22:00-23:00 finish if possible.

Yes, the two Johns, Rose and the chap from Wexford, Robert. They all got in between 6 and 7, so 12-13 hours. If you don't hang around at the controls, I imagine that you could do the 400 in 16-17 hours all right. I'll be happy if I can get in before midnight, personally.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm in on the basis my bike holds together for a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

Here goes...

...nothing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

rottenhat wrote: »
    ...nothing?

Explain:confused:

Greenman wrote: »
    Explain:confused:
    They are out there now I imagine and until the early hours tomorrow morning. Our brave audax men...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,304 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I hope CramCycle gets back OK, otherwise we are all in trouble ...

• Advertisement

Well, the fun wore off that one pretty quick...19 hours 2 minutes for me, tedious headwind for the last 115km. CramCycle and Cadex were DNS so the Boardsies were me, emty, rughdh. Only six started and one packed after 120km...awaiting reports from the others.

oh, @Greenman, I was completing Rughdh's preceding post, "here goes nothing" being a colloquial expression in the US

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mvt

Finished at 1.39am.Bizare week.Two spins,seven day's apart,for a total of 835k!! Not sure how I feel about that although in pretty good shape this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Staggering mileages you guys are cranking out these days. Really amazing. Well done.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

....and John O'S. was out this morning with us doing a Vets. 40k TT. Nice one.

Finished at 5:20. Lost the will to cycle after Arklow, but got it back at Ballsbridge on the way home. I had to walk a bit because I got the noddies at Bray, but managed to stay upright. 462k all in - the furthest I've ever cycled or would want to cycle in one go. I would recommend alternative modes of transport to the start and from the finish, though, especially if it's your first. Not that I heed my own advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

Well done to everyone who finished, especially Rughdh - that sounds like a hard slog ! Sorry I couldn't be there for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Well done guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Well done fellahs, brilliant job all round. I am really sorry if there was any problem caused by my saying I would be there and then not turning up. I actually slept it out. I had the gear and bike ready and made it to bed in good time before 11, then woke every couple of hours including 3:15 but not again until 5:15 - alarm set for 4:30. At this stage, I reckoned I was stuffed as it is over an hour to Bray and I hadn't eaten, dressed etc. and didn't fancy starting later and trying to catch you guys all round the route on my own. I did however, find a very good 'Plan B' with Blorg and Dirkvoodoo which turned out to be a nice 200 instead. (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055905124 ).

LastGasp wrote: »
    Well done to everyone who finished, especially Rughdh - that sounds like a hard slog ! Sorry I couldn't be there for this one.

Well, I suppose the price you pay for being slow is being longer in the saddle. You get used to it. :) Fair play to the guys who can climb from Enniskerry to Glencree >7kph
    Cadex wrote: »
    Well done fellahs, brilliant job all round. I am really sorry if there was any problem caused by my saying I would be there and then not turning up. I actually slept it out. I had the gear and bike ready and made it to bed in good time before 11, then woke every couple of hours including 3:15 but not again until 5:15 - alarm set for 4:30. At this stage, I reckoned I was stuffed as it is over an hour to Bray and I hadn't eaten, dressed etc. and didn't fancy starting later and trying to catch you guys all round the route on my own. I did however, find a very good 'Plan B' with Blorg and Dirkvoodoo which turned out to be a nice 200 instead. (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055905124 ).

No problem at all. Sorry you missed it, but it looks like you had a great day out. We were joking about how quickly you'd catch me if you'd left late.
    Well done guys.

Hope to see you guys soon on another mad adventure.

Planet X wrote: »
    ....and John O'S. was out this morning with us doing a Vets. 40k TT. Nice one.

I can't believe he actually got out of bed and did that - I was very surprised to run into him at the finish line in Bray given that he'd started his 400 two hours before us. He wouldn't take the offer of a lift home either.
    rughdh wrote: »
    Well, I suppose the price you pay for being slow is being longer in the saddle.

Just getting better value for your entry fee, right?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cadex wrote: »

Same here, I sent a mail round (several days too late) explaining why I was a no show. I do apologise again though, I really was in no fit state at the time and my head wasn't really working properly. Being sealed in a lab working with 10M bleach, for your own safety, does odd things (be it your first time or your third).

That said, I'm sure by now though Rottenhat is used to me being a no show :)

Should hopefully see some of you out for the Mick Byrne 200 though, it's a Sunday so I'll be flat out of excuses.

Advertisement