Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechwarrior 4 Free Edition - Release Actually Imminent?

Options
  • 22-04-2010 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

It seems that Mektek have worked through all the legal kinks and are finally about to release Mechwarrior 4 for free. So, who's excited? I know I am :D.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I actually loved MW4. Live action cutscenes, while cheesy and terribly acted, are still cool. Plus, mech on mech action is *always fun.

*not always

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

free MW3 with online support pls :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

http://www.mektek.net/mtx/beta/SetupMTX1.0.2.3.exe

Install this, and it has the instructions and does the downloading.

The mektek.net frontpage isn't updated yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭3-D Preacher

Spear wrote: »
    http://www.mektek.net/mtx/beta/SetupMTX1.0.2.3.exe

Install this, and it has the instructions and does the downloading.

The mektek.net frontpage isn't updated yet.

Anyone up for some boards.ie matches?

(The front page, now updated)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Looks like I'll be dusting the X52 off again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Sites been killed with the amount DLing it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

The mtx downloader is a piece of crap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Burgo wrote: »
    The mtx downloader is a piece of crap.

That's the consensus alright. You can however take the .torrent file it uses and download through an external Torrent client of choice, and drop the .mtx file into place afterwards.

Got the mtx thing off fileplanet but for some reason it has decided im not connected to the internet and refuses to work, piece of ****

VinLieger wrote: »
    Got the mtx thing off fileplanet but for some reason it has decided im not connected to the internet and refuses to work, piece of ****

I can't even get www.mektek.net to load anymore. Seems their victims of their own popularity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Awww, been waiting for this. How could they not have prepared their servers a bit more?
    Is the torrent version looking healthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Where else can i download this, that website has been dead all day.

Site is still down but the mektek client seems to be working got the torrent downloaded pretty quickly and its installing now

Edit : installed successfully but now it wants me to insert mechwarriors 4 disc 2 WTF?

VinLieger wrote: »
    Site is still down but the mektek client seems to be working got the torrent downloaded pretty quickly and its installing now

Edit : installed successfully but now it wants me to insert mechwarriors 4 disc 2 WTF?

The initial version is .0017 which is not the free one. Let the MTX client update it to .0020 (the real free edition) and it will remove the disc check.

www.mektekdev.com is up and working.

The initial version is .0017 which is not the free one. Let the MTX client update it to .0020 (the real free edition) and it will remove the disc check.

Yeah eventually figured that out been playing campaign for a bit as cant find anyone playing on decent servers

www.mektekdev.com is up and working.

I keep getting 404 errors when trying to reach the download page.

I keep getting 404 errors when trying to reach the download page.
    Yeah they fail at link making: http://mektekdev.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=94&Itemid=96 is what you want.

Seifer wrote: »

Thanks for the link, started to dl it last night but gave up after 120mb which took 3 hours while uploading 400 mb.

Yeah their torrent client is pretty crap. To achieve proper speeds you need to forward the port it uses. It's listed in the options and there's a button you can click to check it's been forwarded correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Meh, will stick with my original cardboard box version. Pity I never got the Mercs and Black Knight addons.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

is that a Stone Rhino I see ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Keeps asking me for Disk 2 :mad:

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Keeps asking me for Disk 2 :mad:
    See post #15...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Seifer wrote: »
    See post #15...

Thanks, but I had already googled before I checked back here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Right i have downloaded the 1.7~ gig file through a different bittorrent client. Do I just put it in this folder:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\mektek.net\MTX\temp\games
    ??

Thats where the other .mtx file was that was taking an age to download. Mektek client doesnt do anything different if i put the file in that folder. I just attempts to download the whole damn thing again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Grimebox wrote: »
    Right i have downloaded the 1.7~ gig file through a different bittorrent client. Do I just put it in this folder:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\mektek.net\MTX\temp\games
    ??

Thats where the other .mtx file was that was taking an age to download. Mektek client doesnt do anything different if i put the file in that folder. I just attempts to download the whole damn thing again

Open mektek X program and just click File, then "open file (*.mtx)" and look for the file you downloaded (doesn't need to be in the mektek.net folder), it should install from anywhere.
    I have a problem, my mektek X wont connect to the services (its stuck in offline mode) and so I cant update the mechwarriors file I downloaded, from 0017 to 0020. Anyone else having any troubling connecting to servers?

EDIT: found torrent for update 0017->0018 here and torrent for update 0018->0020 here. They install just like how I said the game does above, and now the game works with no cd check without stupid mtx program :). (found the game itself on isohunt)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Christ, is mektek X putting anyone else off this? Cause im bloody annoyed with it!

folan wrote: »
    Christ, is mektek X putting anyone else off this? Cause im bloody annoyed with it!
    It is manky as hell but once you ensure the port it needs is open then it will download at proper speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

folan wrote: »

You dont have to use it to download the game if you dont like, you can get the torrent for the game yourself from isohunt (here) and use the links i gave in the post just above yours for torrents of the two updates needed to play the game with no cd. Just torrent them with your own downloader (utorrent or whatever) and then open mtx, (ignore any problems about connecting to servers) and go to "file", then "open file (*.mtx)" and choose the game, it should install fine. Afterwards install the two patchs in the same way ("0017-0018" patch first) and by the end you should have, on your desktop, a shortcut to start mechwarrior without having to use mtx at all.

If that seems too dificult, apparently they are trying to make a downloadable executable, independent of mtx, you could wait for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Open mektek X program and just click File, then "open file (*.mtx)" and look for the file you downloaded (doesn't need to be in the mektek.net folder), it should install from anywhere.
    I have a problem, my mektek X wont connect to the services (its stuck in offline mode) and so I cant update the mechwarriors file I downloaded, from 0017 to 0020. Anyone else having any troubling connecting to servers?

EDIT: found torrent for update 0017->0018 here and torrent for update 0018->0020 here. They install just like how I said the game does above, and now the game works with no cd check without stupid mtx program :). (found the game itself on isohunt)

I could have swore i tried that multiple times already :o well its working this time anyway! thanks

Advertisement