Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martial arts shops in Ireland

• 22-04-2010 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Is Mullens of Capel St. really the only proper martial arts shop left in Dublin? I am looking for a bo staff but Mullens have run out of them. I know I could order one in the UK but would like to avoid it (it's very offputting when the shipping costs more than the staff).

Does anyone know any other martial arts shops in Ireland (preferably the Leinster region)?

Much obliged.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

Try Alan Martin, he's gets Danrho gear in, and as far as I remember they do bo...so he can order one in for you, his number is 086 270 3220

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 squiggers

Thanks MaeveD, I ended up ordering online - needed it fast and had to get a few other bits and pieces, so the shipping was not too bad. I'm still baffled though that there aren't more retail outlets in Ireland!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

squiggers wrote: »
    Thanks MaeveD, I ended up ordering online - needed it fast and had to get a few other bits and pieces, so the shipping was not too bad. I'm still baffled though that there aren't more retail outlets in Ireland!!!

It's quite simple actually. Having a retail premises is a HUGE cost, especially in Dublin. So it's just more cost efficient to have online shops. There's also risk involved with stocking brands when it comes to martial arts equipment. The market is relatively small, so the number of brands used is small enough e.g. Sandee, Fairtex, Rogue etc. Importing brands that aren't well known, regardless of quality, could prove to be a massive loss. A lot of contact sport gyms also import in their own stock to supply their members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 squiggers

It's quite simple actually. Having a retail premises is a HUGE cost, especially in Dublin. So it's just more cost efficient to have online shops. There's also risk involved with stocking brands when it comes to martial arts equipment. The market is relatively small, so the number of brands used is small enough e.g. Sandee, Fairtex, Rogue etc. Importing brands that aren't well known, regardless of quality, could prove to be a massive loss. A lot of contact sport gyms also import in their own stock to supply their members.

Granted, the rents are way too high in Dublin and the market not too big. But surely it must be because of the lack of available gear that clubs and gyms import their own stuff for their members.

An option would be of course for the already established sports shops to include a martial arts section - they don't even have to stock too much, as long as they can order it in for you.

Or, come to think of it, ask your local chinese grocer to source something - actually, what are the licencing laws with regard to selling MA equipment?

Advertisement