Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A4 for Accord, Good move?

• 22-04-2010 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭

Hey People

I have an A4(b7) 2005 2.0 tdi 110000 mls on the clock.
    Its a top spec model with leather seats,audi navi system,multi function steering wheel,cruse control,traction control,and lots more.

Bascically what I was thinking about was changing it for a 2004/2005 accord 2.2 cdti with simular spec with about 20000/30000 less mls on it

I reckon I should get €10k for the audi,I was already offered 9k for it as a trade in.My reason for this swap is because of some of the running costs of the audi,it let me down twice and was very costly to fix for relatively small problems,thats not so bad when you have a job but I may be out of work soon and I wont be able to afford audi's garage rates should I need them.

My question's are,Is the accord a more reliable than the a4? Is it cheaper to maintain or fix in case of a breakdown ? How much is the road tax p/a on the accord?

Comments

My question's are

Is the accord a more reliable than the a4?

Is it cheaper to maintain or fix in case of a breakdown ?

How much is the road tax p/a on the accord?

- Debatable

- Should be cheaper to maintain, not to fix if it goes wrong, I would imagine the A4 is more frugal too.

- €800 ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

My question's are,Is the accord a more reliable than the a4?
    Should be. If not, then Honda may aswell give up.
    Is it cheaper to maintain or fix in case of a breakdown ?
    While it shouldn't break down it won't be any cheaper to fix if it does, like for like.
    How much is the road tax p/a on the accord?
    Same as any other 2204cc car.

The diesel Accords do not enjoy the same troublefreeness of the petrol cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

RoverJames wrote: »
    +1 check the link below. It gives all of the Accord's problems. Nearly all of them are with the diesel. Click "What's bad"
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/honda/accord-uk-2003/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The question is re the diesel Accord vs the diesel A4.

(I do agree they are not as untouchable as the petrols due to being more complex. There were problems with cracked exhaust manifolds, but they have generally been replaced FOC)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Hey People

I have an A4(b7) 2005 2.0 tdi 110000 mls on the clock.
    Its a top spec model with leather seats,audi navi system,multi function steering wheel,cruse control,traction control,and lots more.

Bascically what I was thinking about was changing it for a 2004/2005 accord 2.2 cdti with simular spec with about 20000/30000 less mls on it

I reckon I should get €10k for the audi,I was already offered 9k for it as a trade in.My reason for this swap is because of some of the running costs of the audi,it let me down twice and was very costly to fix for relatively small problems,thats not so bad when you have a job but I may be out of work soon and I wont be able to afford audi's garage rates should I need them.

My question's are,Is the accord a more reliable than the a4? Is it cheaper to maintain or fix in case of a breakdown ? How much is the road tax p/a on the accord?

The Accords are good, but you would need to check for the following:

Clutch / Dual Mass Flywheel (not as bad as the VWs, but can be a problem)
    Fogging up headlamps - covered by warranty under certain conditions
    Cracked exhaust manifold - can be determined by a smell of diesel in the car
    Wearing inside edge of rear tyres - covered by warranty

These are specifics, any modern turbo-diesel car is a complex beast, and you would need to check it out fully beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

I went from a petrol 1.6 A4 (1997) to a 2005 accord 2.2 diesel and have never looked back. I only noticed how much the Audi rolled in corners when I started driving the honda and while I have it nearly 3 years now, I've never had any problems with it. I've replaced the brake pads on it about a year ago and it can be heavy on them so I'm told but I'm not sure if I believe that.
    The extras you get for the money are way above any other car imo but you're best to go for an import from the UK as the standard ones in this country didn't come with as many extras as those in the uk.
    I got mine with front fogs (that's an indication it's a uk import), air-con, tan leather heated seats, sun-roof, cruise control, 6-cd changer with controls on the wheel all for 19G back then with 40,000 miles on the clock- they've gone way down in price since and just offer even more bang for your buck now.

It's not a common sight on the road either which is nice.
    Highly recommended imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Agreed with smokingman^^^^

I have the same as him except Irish so no front fogs.
    Very good on diesel, very reliable, extremely comfortable with a geansai load of extras.
    IMO looks a million times nicer than the A4 and you see far less of them on the road.
    Mine is pretty high mileage but once you keep them well oiled and regularly serviced everything will be fine, as with most tdi's.

Also watch for turbos, mine was replaced just before I bought it but I've heard they can go, a la 320D. Obviously not a cheap fix.

Keep your eye on the market for a while. I picked mine up for a good 2k cheaper than any other of same age on the net. Slightly higher mileage but FHSH and minded like a baby.

Exec model for all the bells and whistles.

JHMEG wrote: »
    The question is re the diesel Accord vs the diesel A4.

I know :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I know :confused:

What he means is the Accord might not be as reliable as the petrol variant but its still a lot more reliable than the diesel A4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Simple N/A petrols are more reliable than modern diesels now, that's becoming very obvious. There hasn't been one car make that someone hasn't posted up a problem of some form with their diesel.
    Obviously some are more reliable than others, but none are issue free. The Honda may have it's issues, but they still are few and far between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Simple N/A petrols are more reliable than modern diesels now, that's becoming very obvious. There hasn't been one car make that someone hasn't posted up a problem of some form with their diesel

:confused: Can you tell me about a petrol car with no problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

JHMEG wrote: »
    (I do agree they are not as untouchable as the petrols due to being more complex. There were problems with cracked exhaust manifolds, but they have generally been replaced FOC)

I wasn't aware that was an issue with them, but we currently have a 2.2 Accord with a cracked manifold in Cork. Being replaced FOC under warranty even though the car is an 07.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Most things Japanese in the 90's are hard to break. Mate had a used 1.6 vti coupe, which he gave 100% solid abuse to for 2 years solid and not one problem. Never missed a beat. Redlining 1st, 2nd and 3rd every trip, from cold, hot, didn't matter. I think he used grease the sole of the left shoe so he could sidestep the clutch quicker. Over 100k miles on it. Try that sh!t in a turbo diesel! :) I've seen S2000 owners treat their engines with similar contempt for extended periods of time with no breakages either.
    Plenty of N/A petrols give no real problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

Well the thing is it is a fact that diesels are usually more expensive to fix when they go wrong. True they use less fuel but you have to balance the fuel savings against installing a new turbo. I know as I had the misfortune of the turbo going in my 320d. 2 k to fix and wasn't thinking about 50mpg when I had to fork out for that.

Advertisement