Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Photo Repair

• 22-04-2010 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

I have this old photo of my Great Grandfather on his way to the FA Cup Final in 1927

I was wondering if it was to bad to be repaired(I had a go in PS but to no avail)and where i would get it done

Here's a copy of it so you can see what state its in

4543169078_a013e0ed66.jpg

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

That should be easy enough to repair especially with the Content Aware feature in CS5.

Do you have the link to a full sized version of the pic and I'm sure someone here will give it a go for you.

Alternativey, your local photo studio should either do it it for you or will point you to someone who will but be aware you will be charged for the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ant_moore123

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

I have this old photo of my Great Grandfather on his way to the FA Cup Final in 1927

I was wondering if it was to bad to be repaired(I had a go in PS but to no avail)and where i would get it done
    Thanks

I reckon you could fix that with a bit of work. I don't think any automatic tools would do the job. You will need to spend a few hours cloning and airbrushing the scratches out. The top RH corner won't be too much of a problem because it is grey and out of focus. The top LH corner will be more difficult. You could use the adjacent window as a template for replacing the missing information. Paying to have this done professionally would probably be very expensive. Why not do it yourself?

I would do it myself only i'm not that good in PS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Great Photo, and yes I don't think It would be too much effort to some one proficient and with with a bit of time on their hands.

And Its really not in Bad nick compared to some of the stuff I've seen

• Advertisement

I would do it myself only i'm not that good in PS

Maybe so, but think how much better you will be after you have done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

A quick job on (a bit of) it.. About 12 minutes to be precise..

And it's not great but it is slightly better :)
    4542618523_03c4c7e121.jpg

Edit:

What I did:
    Cloned in the rest of the house using the brick work below it and between the two windows nearest to the left of the photos.

Cloned the window back in using the window to the left

Cloned out some of the crease..

The clone tool is quite handy :)

Ricky91t wrote: »
    A quick job on (a bit of) it.. About 12 minutes to be precies..

)

Well done! If you can do that in just 12 minutes, I reckon you could have it looking like new in a couple of hours.

hbr wrote: »
    Well done! If you can do that in just 12 minutes, I reckon you could have it looking like new in a couple of hours.

Take a look at the larger version before you say that :pac:
    The small size hides a lot!
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4542618523_3b7000c962_o.jpg

That looks a million times better that what i could of done

Thank you

Is there any chance i can get tha full size one from you

Ricky91t wrote: »
    A quick job on (a bit of) it.. About 12 minutes to be precise..

And it's not great but it is slightly better :)
    4542618523_03c4c7e121.jpg

Edit:

What I did:
    Cloned in the rest of the house using the brick work below it and between the two windows nearest to the left of the photos.

Cloned the window back in using the window to the left

Cloned out some of the crease..

The clone tool is quite handy :)

• Advertisement

That looks a million times better that what i could of done

Thank you

Is there any chance i can get tha full size one from you

There's a link in the post above the quoted post!

Cheers

I'll have a go at doing the rest of it

Thanks again for doing that, cant wait to show it to my mum she'll be delighted with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Anthony if you are in Dublin you could pop into me in work to get it restored if you like. I'm in the Liberty market in Meath Street, if you are interested you would need to bring the image in with you unless you have a hi res scan of it. It can be printed as soon as it is completed and usually takes around 20 - 30 minutes in total for an image like this.

Thats sounds great i don't have the original photo here, but my parents are coming over to visit me on the weekend so i'll get them to bring it with them

What is the cost for this(I know we cant discuss pricing here so could you PM me)

Thanks

P.S Will you be there on Saturday?
    Anthony if you are in Dublin you could pop into me in work to get it restored if you like. I'm in the Liberty market in Meath Street, if you are interested you would need to bring the image in with you unless you have a hi res scan of it. It can be printed as soon as it is completed and usually takes around 20 - 30 minutes in total for an image like this.

Thats sounds great i don't have the original photo here, but my parents are coming over to visit me on the weekend so i'll get them to bring it with them

What is the cost for this(I know we cant discuss pricing here so could you PM me)

Thanks

P.S Will you be there on Saturday?

Just to let both of you know this should either be posted in the services offered/wanted thread or by PM I think..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Thanks Ricky, I'm sure the mods would have moved the thread had they noticed it. PM sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

The first, and most important, step in doing a digital restoration is a kick-ass scanning job at the highest bit-depth you can manage to get hold of. There's plenty of information "hidden" in parts of the photo that you can't make out in part due to fade, dirt, and limitations of the human eye as far as shades of color go.

I used to do restores quite often a few years back..and I can tell you with no uncertainty that the photo you have is very easily fixable.. even without content-aware cloning.

There are even online places that will do it VERY inexpensively, and some of them do a pretty good job.

Someone else asked for the "master" I'd be curious so see the original scanned file that the JPG was made from. (If the scan was directly to JPG.. I would re-do it to a 16-bit per channel TIF.. and at higher resolution than what I saw on flickr.) Ideally working with a 200MB+ original is a very good idea. You've got a lot more data to work with .

Good luck :)

Advertisement