Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW PLANE

Options
  • 22-04-2010 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting into flying RC planes.

Should I be bothered about what frequency the transmitter works on if I'm buying a RTF kit.

Thinking of getting Parkzone Radian or Super Cub

Seeing as it's going to be RTF, I assume that worrying about transmitter frequency etc will be time enough if I decide to progress to another plane.

From my limited research on the subject, it appears that the transmitter that comes with the radian can be used again with future ones as it has better technology. Am i right?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

To future proof, you should looking for 2.4ghz radios, look for a branded radio, futaba, JR, Sanwa, spectrum are good brands. Most guys fly "Mode 2"

the cheapest and safest way to learn to fly is to join a club:

www.maci.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

Thanks for that.

Have a look at the link below to the Radian. I think the transmitter is fairly future proof so.

You'll need to scroll down through it to get to the specs .

Thanks

http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/products.php?ProductID=7049&CatID=7&SubCatID=573&Title=Parkzone+Radian+RTF+2+Metre+Sailplane&ManCode=PKZ4700

The following is an extract from the spec which is specific to the TX.

"Spektrum™ DX5e 5-channel full-range 2.4GHz DSM2™ radio system eliminates interference and the need for frequency control"

what does anyone think?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

The answer to your question is that Spektrum are adequate for the kind of planes you're talking about. But you also mentioned better planes to come later, that's when you will begin to want to replace a Spektrum.
    Now the people with that radio will testify that it does all they require, and I'm sure that is true.
    But also true is the undeniable preference of experienced fliers with powerful, fast or expensive models to use Sanwa, JR, Futaba and to a lesser extent Multiplex, these are the radios used by modellers who have been around, seen it all, heard all the arguments, and then apply greater experience to their buying decision.
    I have tried the Spektrum 5. I do not think it is made to the same quality as the "higher" Spektrum radios.
    Myself for example, I expect a long life for gear, like eg a couple of years regular use for a plane. I owned two Sanwa radios and changed to JR and have owned three of their radios. Although I have flown models on JR, Hitec, Sanwa, Futaba I am happiest trusting JR to bring my models back to me. But of course JR costs more than many other makes because quality control costs. However all of those manufacturers produce very good radios to take you all the way up the hobby into competitive flying at club and national level, especially JR, Sanwa and Futaba all do radios to go further, up to sponsored fliers in public display flying if that level should be reached.
    It must suit the plane, also the modeller's skills, and the circumstances. Now if I flew depron slowflys indoors or at close range the chinese no name radio in the blister pack might be sufficient.
    For a Radian type model the Spektrum radio you mentioned is sufficient.

The reason I posted this is you did mention "future proofing". And with regard to future proofing you should note that unlike 35FM, in 2.4Ghz system the receivers are not transferable across makes, so a change to a better brand can cause instant obsolescence of the gear you buy now and have to replace at that time. That added cost will undoubtedly also cause you to defer a move up to better stuff until a later date than you would otherwise do the upgrade. And things can happen to models during the time in between.

Have you walked along a few club flightlines and looked at the radios many regular fliers use, the numbers of each make, and the value of planes the different users fly with the different types of radio? It can be revealing.

In the end you pays your money and takes your pick!

Good luck with the hobby.

Thanks guys.

So if you were advising someone on their first plane, what RTF model would you suggest so that the transmitter that comes with it could at least be used when yoou move to your second and third plane at least.

after that the cost of buying a better TX may not hurt so much.

Is suppose getting a good starter plane more important than what transmitter it uses.

I suppose what I'd like to know is
    1. Should I buy a RTF that is a good learner and not worry about the TX, or
    2. should I buy a RTF that's a good learner and has a TX that can be used again, a kind of middle ground.
    Thanks

Try the model shops for a package, Tell them your budget, but don't skimp on the radio. As coolwings says a decent radio will last you years.

little foam ARTF's are great for learning, You could always build your own plane, it's a great way to understand the hobby:

www.spadtothebone.com

Visit your local club for the best advice. Don't try to teach yourself how to fly (very expensive!)

I recently thought a guy how to fly on his "multiplex Mentor", it's a great kit, it's rock solid and one of the best trainers on the market IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Thanks for that.

Have a look at the link below to the Radian. I think the transmitter is fairly future proof so.

Thanks

http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/products.php?ProductID=7049&CatID=7&SubCatID=573&Title=Parkzone+Radian+RTF+2+Metre+Sailplane&ManCode=PKZ4700

"Spektrum™ DX5e 5-channel full-range 2.4GHz DSM2™ radio system eliminates interference and the need for frequency control"

what does anyone think?

I have the radian, its a great aircraft, i find the spektrum radio`s great, although according to some my experience probably would`t be a good judge of how good it is. But the plane and radio that comes with it are more than `adequate`. Far more.

coolwings wrote: »
    But also true is the undeniable preference of experienced fliers with powerful, fast or expensive models to use Sanwa, JR, Futaba and to a lesser extent Multiplex, these are the radios used by modellers who have been around, seen it all, heard all the arguments, and then apply greater experience to their buying decision.

I applied experience to my buying decision, i must of been lucky i have`t had any problems yet. It must be just my imagination that the spektrum radio has not had a glitch in 3 years, not that im saying its the best one or anything, but i dont put down other ones either. 22 years flying and i have been "shot down" glitches, receiver failure in futaba system one time, everything and anything has happened. Lots can go wrong in radios, but the 2.4ghz systems to me at least, seem a far more robust link between tx and aircraft than the 35mhz ever was, and thats from flying experience, not from what i read. How much flying have you done with the 2.4 ghz systems?

You definitely seem either anti spektrum or anti progress, just because you dont see a majority of 2.4ghz systems in irish flying sites does`t mean its not a good system, and myself being happy with its performance does not mean it is a good system. Some fellas with years of experience wont change from what they are used to, its that simple.

I have used the dx7 on heli`s, nitro fast powerful planes and also gliders, so what type of plane would i need to get which would require me to get another radio and why?

Maybe back to control line is the way forward. As when the first radio came out the vast majority of experienced fliers would of been using free flight or control line, so going to a flying site and only seeing one or 2 radios would of shown radios were in the minority and obviously were no good according to the above mentioned observations.

Is it spektrum you are against or 2.4ghz itself?

Thanks for that.

Thanks

what does anyone think?

I would`t quite say its future proof, the dx5 is a basic radio for one aircraft at a time, you would need a programmable computer radio to cover future aditional aircraft, but to start off the above aircraft and radio is a great start.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Lots there ...
    robbie7730 wrote: »
    I applied experience to my buying decision, i must of been lucky i have`t had any problems yet. It must be just my imagination that the spektrum radio has not had a glitch in 3 years, not that im saying its the best one or anything, but i dont put down other ones either. 22 years flying and i have been "shot down" glitches, receiver failure in futaba system one time, ...
    My own personal observation is that Futaba EXA series 35FM users were the first to upgrade enmasse to 2.4gigs. This (to me) indicates these were the group with the most problems. But was it 35FM or the EXA? JR and Multiplex 35FM users are still to a great extent using their 35FM gear which never did and still does not cause difficulties. I should also say the the top of the Futaba range had the same quality control as these other premium" makes, but my personal view is that the budget Futabas were just that, and people got what they paid for. The small receiver was better IMO than the bigger dual conversion one which seemed counter intuitive, but it was.The Futaba FFR series was much better quality, very reliable, and many of them are still in use. But they weren't the cheap ones.... the 9 ch was a beautiful radio.
    How much flying have you done with the 2.4 ghz systems?..
    Not a lot. Small helis, other peoples planes, maiden flights for newbies lessons.
    You definitely seem either anti spektrum or anti progress, just because you dont see a majority of 2.4ghz systems in irish flying sites does`t mean its not a good system, and myself being happy with its performance does not mean it is a good system. ...
    The dreaded either ... or ...!!! Neither! Not anti at all. I just acknowledge it's new and makers say each generation has all the bugs gone. then say the same next time too!! The observation is product recalls are in the recent past on several makes. Being rather more cynical than the sales catalogues I think it's almost mature as a technology for RC use. the latest 2.4ghx txs are a big improvement on those available as recent as 24 months ago.
    Some fellas with years of experience wont change from what they are used to, its that simple. ...
    Yes there are those. For me I change my radio gear every 4 years. However, there is a half life for electronic components (especially chinese made capacitors) which I try to keep in mind - reliability in everything suffers as time passes.
    I have used the dx7 on heli`s, nitro fast powerful planes and also gliders, so what type of plane would i need to get which would require me to get another radio and why? ...
    Good for you! No plane! We both know full well DX7 is a better built radio than the DX5. BUT the DX5 which is what the OP asked about.
    Maybe back to control line is the way forward. As when the first radio came out the vast majority of experienced fliers would of been using free flight or control line...
    Funny enough it is having a resurgence of popularity. I did it about 40 years ago, but moved on a long time ago. Always take pleasure watching the experts though.
    Is it spektrum you are against or 2.4ghz itself? ...
    Aha . the loaded question! :D Must I say one or the other? ;) Actually I see a rainbow of technology that we can pick frm to suit our needs and our pockets. I like to live above Spektrum. JR or Sanwa keep me happy. You like Spektrum, it keeps you happy. That's fine with me. Hopefully the world is big enough for both of us. :)

• Advertisement

Aha . the loaded question! :D Must I say one or the other? ;) Actually I see a rainbow of technology that we can pick frm to suit our needs and our pockets. I like to live above Spektrum. JR or Sanwa keep me happy. You like Spektrum, it keeps you happy. That's fine with me. Hopefully the world is big enough for both of us. :)

Well i noticed in your posts a few years back you did`t like the surface spektrum system because you said the receivers were fragile looking, so your negative feeling on them was deep rooted without even having used it. You say i like spektrum and it keeps me happy, well i fly for the fun of it, i dont fly because my radio keeps me happy, i fly because i like flying, and if a radio lets me take off, fly and land then it does me fine. As for the world being big enough for both of us, is there only 2 of us now? A certain age is reached in life where the mind closes or its openness reduces.

I have jr radios and futaba also, used for years, i have no preference for spektrum, jr, sanwa. Its flying i have a preference for. And right now i find the 2.4ghz very solid. Its never going to catch on though, as obviously your living above spektrum so thats its future over right there. It must be a green thing.

Good for you! No plane! We both know full well DX7 is a better built radio than the DX5. BUT the DX5 which is what the OP asked about.

We have a DX5 here. Again we must be blessed, its still taking off, flying and landing the radian over a year after we got it. I wonder what else we could expect from it.

I actually thought spektrum was jr, the receivers are interchangeable. Anyway i will have to stick with spektrum as "living above it" does`t seem to improve my flying:(

You dont sell the multiplex cularis do you, i was thinking of trying one of them, or have you seen one flying.

You dont sell the multiplex cularis do you, i was thinking of trying one of them, or have you seen one flying.

I have a cularis,with the multiplex power set (with a 2.4ghz futaba) it's a beauty, multiplex make great kits.
    I had an easyglider before that, I really liked that plane, I was able to get it into a ford focus without breaking it down.

An onboard ESC fire while inverted led to it's spectacular demise. :(

Poly wrote: »
    I have a cularis,with the multiplex power set (with a 2.4ghz futaba) it's a beauty, multiplex make great kits.
    I had an easyglider before that, I really liked that plane, I was able to get it into a ford focus without breaking it down.

An onboard ESC fire while inverted led to it's spectacular demise. :(

Yes it looks nice, my son has the radian, which is a great aircraft especially for the price of it, its done a lot of flying in the just over a year he has it, I was thinking of trying a cularis, i am gone from fast nitro planes to favouring electric gliders, it must be the old age catching up.

An ESC fire, id say that was some sight.

Where did you buy the cularis from?

I got the cularis from island models in Gorey, not sure if he still sell's them. It's the auld story,from the UK the shipping is a killer. Don't know anywhere in Dublin that stocks them, Greene Marine?

I got the cularis from island models in Gorey, not sure if he still sell's them. It's the auld story,from the UK the shipping is a killer. Don't know anywhere in Dublin that stocks them, Greene Marine?

I think from england the postage is 15-25 sterling or so, so its not too bad relatively speaking. Island models does`t have them anymore i dont think.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

why do the threads I start always go of on a tangent. Anyway, that's life.

So, to sum up.......it seems to me that the radian is a good starter plane and that the 2.4mhz spektrum is a good TX that I can use on another plane again(so long as the receiver matches).

Does anyone know any other RTF with a good TX that's good for a starter

Thanks for all the replies guys.

why do the threads I start always go of on a tangent. Anyway, that's life.

So, to sum up.......it seems to me that the radian is a good starter plane and that the 2.4mhz spektrum is a good TX that I can use on another plane again(so long as the receiver matches).

Does anyone know any other RTF with a good TX that's good for a starter
    I think its me that goes off on a tangent.

Well the jr 2.4ghx receivers work with spektrum also, JR radios and spektrum are teamed up together in the 2.4ghz setup and so the receivers are interchangeable.

Heres another one, but my recommendations are by no means infallible. I recommend the radian because i got one for my son and i found it brilliant even though im years flying. Neighbours son got one then as well.

This site has the radian as well. The link here is for a super cub,
    Coolwings there would have endless recommendations i`d say. I like the spectrum radios because they are not too expensive and there is no worrying about what channel others are on, and the computer versions have model match, that means you cant select the wrong model from the list on the radio or it wont work at all.

http://www.squadronleader.co.uk/product/Super_Cub_LP_w%7CSpektrum_2.4GHz_%28_RTF%29_HBZ7300XE

Thanks again.

I think that I've made up my mind from all the info received.

I think I should start with the radian RTF kit and then if I get into it, i can progress( a certain amount anyway) while still using the TX from the radian kit.

If I want to progress more then I can invest in a better TX that would last me alot longer(maybe a computerised even). I can leave the radian kit up for my young lad when he gets bigger or I'd probably still end up flying it from time to time.

Does this sound like a good plan.

I'm caught between the radian and a J-3 cub with anti Crash technology. ACT sounds good. Also the piper PA18 Super Cub which has flight sim that you just plug the TX into your PC.

All in all it sounds like the radian is my best bet.....hard to know

• Advertisement

Piper cubs can be tricky enough to fly, the large side area makes them very prone to even a slight cross wind, have a look at the easy star too, its a nice forgiving trainer.

I've been flying for 20+ years and I still use a fairly basic radio, futaba 6exa. it has a fairly limited computer menu but it does everything I need.

The radian looks like a nice glider though, double check the glue you need to assemble it, as super glue (CA glue) can melt certain foams.

Thanks again.

I think that I've made up my mind from all the info received.

I think I should start with the radian RTF kit and then if I get into it, i can progress( a certain amount anyway) while still using the TX from the radian kit.

If I want to progress more then I can invest in a better TX that would last me alot longer(maybe a computerised even). I can leave the radian kit up for my young lad when he gets bigger or I'd probably still end up flying it from time to time.

Does this sound like a good plan.

I'm caught between the radian and a J-3 cub with anti Crash technology. ACT sounds good. Also the piper PA18 Super Cub which has flight sim that you just plug the TX into your PC.

All in all it sounds like the radian is my best bet.....hard to know

Well i never experienced the anti crash tech, but i would think learning purely by using your own control of the aircraft is the best way to learn, the radian is quite big, and very easy to learn on, my son had no trouble learning, and his friend got one as well, and they both learned easily. Where do you live, you could see our one if you like, and see.

Piper cubs can be tricky enough to fly, the large side area makes them very prone to even a slight cross wind, have a look at the easy star too, its a nice forgiving trainer.

I've been flying for 20+ years and I still use a fairly basic radio, futaba 6exa. it has a fairly limited computer menu but it does everything I need.
    Yea i`d agree with all that, the only thing that made me go for the radian for the son in preference to the easy star was it had everything in one box and so worked out cheaper and simpler because the radian had a brushless motor also. 20 plus years myself and the radian i prefer over all the other aircraft - p51 mustang and t-rex 450, 600 etc. Its very relaxing to fly it, and last summer we got a few thermals for hour long flights out of it.

Right, it's settled I THINK(!!!!!!) I'm going to order the radian today!!!!!

Right, it's settled I THINK(!!!!!!) I'm going to order the radian today!!!!!

Thats good, i dont think you will be disappointed, have you flown at all before. The radian is easy to fly but still would require an experienced flier to got you flying.

The radian looks like a nice glider though, double check the glue you need to assemble it, as super glue (CA glue) can melt certain foams.

The radian does`t require glue at all, just a bit of tape for back wings.
    What sort of CA glue did you use on the cularis, thick CA? Did you use the activator as well for the glue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Bit late coming in here but on Robbies advice, I bought a Radian. First thing to remember is DO NOT leave the battery in the plane when not in use as it will drain the power right out of it and once it drops below 9v, it will be unusable again.

I've been flying my Radian for a couple of months now and I'm glad I didn't go for something faster as rc flying is not as easy as it looks and one small mistake with a fast plane will have it nosing into the ground and bye bye plane!

The Radian on the otherhand is a very forgiving plane to fly. It's 2 metre wingspan hugs the air and it can stay aloft 3,4 or even 5 times as long as say a Piper Cub. Even when it stalls in mid air, it can recover itself and doesn't go into a dive for the ground. It has a slow landing speed and is easy to touch down on it's belly (no wheels to get caught in grass!) so long as you keep the wings level. It also has a fold back propellor that won't get dated on landing unlike fixed propellors.

All in, I've learned pretty quickly on my Radian after an inital lesson from Robbie (thanks again) and this planes natural agility in the air flatters my newbie flying skills.

Thanks for that Dave, looks like the radian is definitely the way to go.

I'll let you all know how I get on.

Anyone have a suggestion of where to buy at a good price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I bought mine from modelmaniacs in the UK. Squadronleader also sell them. Make sure you buy the complete kit, ie plane, transmitter and receiver as there is a cheaper package that comes with just the plane minus the receiver and transmitter. All in, I think I paid around 230 euro delivered last February. You can buy cheaper planes but they
    (a) fly too fast for a newbie like us, and you'll crash and break them on your first flight, and
    (b) parts are hard to come by whereas you can buy parts very easily for the radian. Although even after one or two not so great landings, ie crashes! My radian was unscathed. It's a lot tougher than it looks.

Finally, as Robbie said, hook up with someone experienced for your first flight who'll show you the dos and don'ts of flying the Radian. While it's a forgiving aircraft, it has a powerful motor and it's rate of climb is very fast but if you don't give it some slight down elevator on take off, it can do a loop and do a kamikaze on your head:)!!!

• Advertisement

Yeah!!! Around €230/€235 delivered from UK seems to be the best price out there for the RTF kit.

Probably a good idea to get a few tips from someone experienced on the first flight all right...stop any bad habits developing etc etc.

I suppose that will have to be the next thread......finding someone in my area(Galway/Mayo)

I might look up a few club websites and see what the buzz is on them!!!

Advertisement