Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clive cut short to 4 days

• 22-04-2010 12:53pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Small artice on PSB about Clive Evertons commentary being cut further again this year to only FOUR DAYS, so don't expect to hear Clive in the box any more in the championship. Shame on you BBC/World Snooker for treating your "senior commentator" this way. He is still the best.

From Pro Snooker Blog:
    Crucible Clive Cut Short to Four Days

As followers of my Twitter page will have noticed, yesterday I had a brief word with BBC veteran Clive Everton about how long he would be here commentating this week and unfortunately he told me that he would be in action for just the first four days…

As a fan of Clive’s commentary and all of the work he has done for the game with his Snooker Scene magazine it is extremely disappointing to see his role being curtailed in this way, particularly as the ‘issue’ is not one that relates to his capability – indeed he is as good in the commentary box as he has ever been.

Presumably we will be hearing more from Ken Doherty now that he is out of the tournament and although I am a huge fan of his, I wish that his increased involvement were not at the expense of Clive.

I've ranted about this long and hard before when his original demotion was revealed, but this just compounds it moreso.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

It's nothing short of a disgrace what is happening to Clive Everton, I know the BBC are trying their best to introduce new commentaters such as Doherty and Foulds and to reinvent their coverage but Clive Everton is Mr Snooker, he is a complete authority on the game and was an excellent billiard player in his day.

His book 'Black Farce And Cue Ball Wizards' is a must read and gives a complete insight into the past present and future of the sport.

Along with his many years as Editor of Snooker Scene magazine his imput and value to the game should never be questioned.

I had the privilage of sitting beside Clive on a flight back from the Thailand Masters a few years back and we talked about snooker for many hours.He had a story on just about every great player right back to the days of John Pullman and Joe Davis.

A big big loss to the coverage on tv this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

tis disgraceful while they still have that knob Dennis Taylor still spouting his sh1te daily

its a pity Alex Higgins didnt go through with his threat a few years ago :pac:

Steady!! That's a bit strong now, I like listening to Taylor, although is is very biased towards Hendry and Williams, he just loves them!
    Oh and he never fails to get in a mention of his win in 1985.

The BBC should bring back Ray Edmunds and Jim Meadowcroft, they were great to listen to as well.

There he goes, he just got a mention of his win in 1985 in!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Snooker commentary bingo, anyone?

Could make some of the matches more interesting to tune in to!

Maybe. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

davenewt wrote: »
    Snooker commentary bingo, anyone?

Could make some of the matches more interesting to tune in to!

Maybe. :rolleyes:

It always amaze me how so many of the ex-pros don't know how to do the art of talking to a minimum during frames! Everton, like Ted Lowe and Jack Karnhem, could do this!

Then again, maybe the Sports Director made them take this route!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Well, to my surprise, I turned on the Robertson vs Gould match there at 10am and guess what?

Yes...., Clive is commentating along with Neal Foulds. (One of my favourite commentary double acts.) Perhaps the BBC have reconsidered and giving him up to the Quarter Finals again.

Incidently, it would appear that Inspector Clouseau is refereeing this match. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Auvers wrote: »
    tis disgraceful while they still have that knob Dennis Taylor still spouting his sh1te daily

its a pity Alex Higgins didnt go through with his threat a few years ago :pac:

Jesus careful now :eek:. I think you might just be over-reacting ever so slightly there. Personally i really like Dennis. I think he's one of the better commentators. Save your rage for Willie Thorne :D. John 'Where's the cue ball going' Virgo is pretty good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Yes big shame about Clive, He is full of interesting stastics and facts. It is noticable that he is not present in commentry, Foulds is good and Taylor and Virgo, Willie Thorne really annoys me he, his over analysis of every single shot gets on my nerves.

And "crafty ken" is just plain embarassing, His silly nervous laugh and the way he tries to copy Taylor and Virgo whem commentating is cringe worthy, Plus his head is an unusual shape :D

Advertisement