Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear WNDR3700 Gigabit Router - modem connection

• 22-04-2010 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭

What would be the best ADSL Modem to buy to connect to a Netgear WNDR3700 Gigabit Router?

I am a BT migrated Vodafone subscriber on the Navan exchange. The speed test results are consistently between 13.00 - 14.10Mb/s and 0.5 - 0.85Mb/s and the connection never drops.

Thanks,
    Niall.

790569444.png

Statistics
    Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 22831 Kbps 1019 Kbps

Noise Margin 6.8 dB 13.9 dB

Line
    Attenuation 12.5 dB 4.4 dB
    Output
    Power 11.4 dBm 0.0 dBm

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What are you using at the moment? If it is a modem/router why not put it into bridge mode and just connect the netgear to it?

By the way your snr looks pretty dire - have you anything 'strange' connected to your phone line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭Qwikpix

Thanks. I am using a BT Voyager 2010 which has been troublesome - it also gets very hot, although that may be harmless.

I have 3 phone sockets. All have filters. The main one has a phone and separate fax connected to it. One has nothing connected and one has the Voyager connected. If I disconnect the phone and fax it does not affect the broadband speed.

I do not know why the snr is as it is and I don't know enough to speculate either. I was given the Netgear WNDR3700 Gigabit Router so I would like to make some use of it. So I would appreciate any suggestions.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The reason I mentioned the snr is that when it goes down that low you can get regular cut offs (and your att is pretty good). Have you checked the snr when all the other phones are taken out of the sockets?

As I said it should be possible to just put the voyager into bridge mode - I dont know it so I am presuming it is a combined modem router?

Otherwise something like this will work fine - http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/DSLModems/DM111Pv2.aspx

Thanks. The snr remains the same when everything except the modem/router is disconnected. I never get line drops.

I have ordered the DM111Pv2 to connect to the WNDR3700 router.

Update:

The Netgear DM111Pv2 arrived this morning and was a good purchase!

I connected it without any difficulty and I don't think it will be possible to improve much upon the Speedtest.net result which was as follows:

803318570.png

I am a migrated BT to Vodafone subscriber on the up to 24Mb/s package. I also have free UK calls which may be why the test result says that I am on the Esat server (rather than Vodafone).

My line stats reported by the Netgear modem are:

Noise:
    Downstream: 6.3dB Upstream: 15.0dB

Line Attenuation:
    Downstream: 14.7dB Upstream: 3.9dB

Output power:

Downstream: 18.5dB Upstream: 10.5dB

• Advertisement
Advertisement