Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many absent days can you have?

• 22-04-2010 2:51pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭

How many absent days can you have without getting into bother over it?
    I've heard twenty is the max and then you are asked to explain why in writing or someone from the board of education comes to your house??

Sounds like crap to me. I missed around 18 days and I'm not planning opn going in tomorrow just don't want to get into bother like that over it. I mean at this stage in Leaving Cert you dont get days off, if your studying at home you would probably get more done that you would at school.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

School is only compulsory up until you're 16 or have sat the Junior Cert. anyway, isn't it? After that I think it's at the discretion of the school.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

When you miss 20 days the school is obliged to report it to the National Educational Welfare Board.
    They are hugely understaffed so it's unlikely you'll see anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Ha don't worry, nothing will happen. I know from experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

On the 21st day you're absent from school, they have to notify the welfare dept. but nothing will happen. I am constantly late for school and was marked absent from school for something like 60 days in TY. Nothing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

got told they were coming to my house in 3rd and 5th year, still waiting lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Aoiferz

I've been out 25 days and counting (from illness, honest) and I haven't heard anything. I thing you're safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Btw TS, in the (hopefully) unlikely event that you are asking this because you've been dossing school and are wondering when/if your parents will hear about it, on the 21st day you are absent a letter is sent home notifying your parents that the school has contacted the welfare dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Gone well over 20 days. Hilarious on the 20th day, I actually went to the secretary and asked her how many days I'd missed. She said to me I'd missed 20, but said I'd nothing to worry about. The school is not required to report absences to the NEWB (LOLOLOL!) unless your absences are worrying, like if you're missing weeks on end and stuff. As well as that, there're 5 weeks left in the school term. At this stage, if you're in LC, they're certainly not going to be looking up on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 M1234

Just wondering whether half days. Or like leaving school early counts as absent, if you just came into school and left half day surly it wouldn't count as absent...would it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nisior

I only made it in 2 or 3 times a month during my LC (due to health sh!t). I brought in the reasons why I wasn't in in writing from a few doctors. Some Welfare Guy called in February I think and when my Dad said I had proven why I wasn't in he said 'Why were they bothering me with this then? Sorry Mr *** I hope she gets better'.
    I studied alot at home though, try and keep up with your work and if you manage that you should be fine. An actual school day in some schools is actually a lot less productive than you actually doing the work yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement