Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chain Catcher .....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is your seat tube round or "beefy" near the BB?

I have both dog fang type (for round alu tube) and braze-on type (for beefy carbon tube), and IMO the dog fang is better since the distance from the chain is fixed, whereas the braze-on type can be rotated away.

FWIW I've dropped a chain on all my bikes, with or without chain catchers, but I get them back on more often with the chain catcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I have that chain catcher which I bought from Wiggle. However I still managed to drop my chain except the other way out on to the crank. That down to user error though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

I make one that's a bit cheaper.

Have a look:

102_1018a.jpg

102_1022a.jpg

102_1031a.jpg

More info here. You'll notice that it has evolved somewhat since the original prototype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Dave2pvd, got any for sale?

What is the weight?

Raam, it's 10g. 6061 aluminum is featherweight stuff.

Plenty of stock for the moment. All of this batch is black anodized, as pictured.

Note: if you are running Campag, let me know. You may need to order the special radius washer that I have. Shimano and SRAM FDs are very straightforward; they just need an Allen bolt and washer (provided, both stainless steel).

• Advertisement

It's Shimano for me, Ultegra.

What is your price for this fine device?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Raam wrote: »
    It's Shimano for me, Ultegra.

What is your price for this fine device?
    The other thread suggests €22 all in.

The other thread suggests €22 all in.

That's right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Lumen wrote: »
    Is your seat tube round or "beefy" near the BB?

I have both dog fang type (for round alu tube) and braze-on type (for beefy carbon tube), and IMO the dog fang is better since the distance from the chain is fixed, whereas the braze-on type can be rotated away.

FWIW I've dropped a chain on all my bikes, with or without chain catchers, but I get them back on more often with the chain catcher.

Does your Addict have one? Mine came with one as shown below as standard fit,

7966_m.jpg

el tel wrote: »
    Does your Addict have one? Mine came with one as shown below as standard fit

No, the dog fang won't fit my Addict (2008 SL) frame, as the tubing is too big and square. Or that's what I thought anyway - I'm using one of dave2pvd's on the Addict and the dog fang on my Planet-X Uncle John (cross bike).

Any chance of a pic the dog fang installed on your Addict?

• Advertisement

No, the dog fang won't fit my Addict (2008 SL) frame, as the tubing is too big and square. Or that's what I thought anyway - I'm using one of dave2pvd's on the Addict and the dog fang on my Planet-X Uncle John (cross bike).

Aye, will try to get a picture up over the weekend. FWIW mine is a 2008 frame also, though just vanilla.

I wish I had a close-up pic of this, but I have the Dog Fang on my CX bike.

DSC_0256.JPG

I would not recommend it above the N-Gear Jump Stop. The Jump Stop has a nice big vertical surface to side guide the chain in the event of an off. The Dog Fang has a nice flat ledge to hang the chain on! I've suspended the chain on top of the Dog Fang while doing a road ride on the CX bike. Now, correct chain length would have helped - but to accommodate different cassettes, the chain was a few links long.

Off topic but: I'm contemplating a whole new device for 1x9/1x10 CX bikes. Something that basically captures the chain on the top of the front ring.

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Off topic but: I'm contemplating a whole new device for 1x9/1x10 CX bikes. Something that basically captures the chain on the top of the front ring.

Twin bash rings? Or would that be that too much of a crud magnet?

Organising a group buy.

Raam wrote: »
    Organising a group buy.

Great news!

Twin bash rings? Or would that be that too much of a crud magnet?

Might be a bit of a crud magnet - but in some conditions that's not an issue. Thing is, the chain would still make its bid for freedom. I am continually amazed at how much the chain jumps around. If it can get out, it will. And it will happen just as you're about to pass the 3rd place rider on the last lap :(

dave2pvd wrote: »
    And it will happen just as you're about to pass the 3rd place rider on the last lap :(

I'll have to take your word for that :)

My personal enthusiasm for the bash ring concept is more grounded in having one less thing to stab myself with.

No, the dog fang won't fit my Addict (2008 SL) frame, as the tubing is too big and square. Or that's what I thought anyway -I'm using one of dave2pvd's on the Addict and the dog fang on my Planet-X Uncle John (cross bike).

Hi Lumen, was in Slane Cycles today and was told that the Addict SL and standard frames should have same tube size so perhaps the Scott branded dog fang as on mine (pictured below) would work for you also. They suggested that in any case you can make one fit by using a longer bolt.

Slanes actually sell the Deda Elementi dog fang and they come in three sizes - 28.6, 31.7 and 35mm. Very tidy job and only £7.00.
    http://www.slanecycles.com/deda-elementi-dog-fang-p-849.html 2cc6cb786120ca61222deda7a68808f0.image.163x200.jpg

Img_8574.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

Maybe Dave should send Big George a sample and get him to switch from the more expensive brand !!! all the other Pro's will follow ... you'll be made Dave ( just like Giro Helmets and Greg Le Mond )

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/photos/pro-bike-george-hincapies-bmc-teammachine-slr01-paris-roubaix/115471

Biker Joe

Maybe I should give Rich (his bro) a ring? Rich sponsors our team. Maybe we could return the favor? Hmmm.....you have me thinking. I could even make a stars and stripes version for Big George.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

Dave Stick the cheque in the post yea ....

Thanks
    Joe

Advertisement