Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atletico Madrid v Liverpool 8:05 Inter-Railing around Europe Match Thread

Comments

Jazzy wrote: »
    with ntlbell to thank the post

boom!

Someone posted before that Boggles and Ntlbell were the same person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

rarnes1 wrote: »

I'm sure a mod can tell you we're not.

;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ntlbell wrote: »
    I'm sure a mod can tell you we're not.

;)

we gonna see some old school tag team action tonight? its just not the same with the_muppet

with ntlbell to thank the post

boom!

I knew a mystic meg like you, always predicting things after they happened.

how do you do it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

All four teams that had to travel overland had the worst of it performance wise. Now of course, home advantage would be huge at this stage of the competition under normal circumstances. But I definitely think it was a worthy factor in all four games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Trilla wrote: »
    LUCAS IS NOT A GOOD FOOTBALLER

That's just not true!! it really isn't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I heard Boggles, NtlBell and Mr. Alan were all the same person.

And Jazzy is supposed to be all 3.

Very confusing. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    We were great against West Ham, Benfica, Portsmouth, Lille...

It was a tough away fixture after preparations that were less than ideal (to say the least), and the team still had chances to get an away goal.
    In all honesty West ham put up no resistance against us. Most of us called tonights results as we saw it. We were clumsy, had very little movement. Apart from one or two chances we were very disappointing. Yeah i get with what you say with Lucas he can play box to box but saw very little of that tonight.

we gonna see some old school tag team action tonight? its just not the same with the_muppet

I met you one night in a library in phisboro, you asked me something similar!!

murpho999 wrote: »
    Lucas must have an iPhone in the dressing room. 'His' twitter is updated

LucasLeiva21

That was the last straw. Dirk pointing and repeating 'hes a fairy, hes a fairy without the wings'. I lunged for him. Sammy Lee held me back.

Dirks in the changing rooms blaming me for the loss. I 'shouldve been back marking Forlan'. Im a pacifist but this is a real test for me.

Really disappointed. We wanted that away goal. Looking forward and seeing Ngog, Nabil, Babel and Dirk makes Lucas want to return to Gremio

Sure did you not watch the match tonight? The phone fell from Lucas's shorts pocket!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

monkey9 wrote: »
    That's just not true!! it really isn't!
    Ok its my opinion and I probably shouldnt have typed it. Probably best ignore it to be honest. This tie aint over Liverpool will turn this around I'd say.

You were great against a shocking West Ham and a relegated can't pay the pies Pompey. Hardly fantasic examples.

Liverpool were also poor against Benfica and Lille.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

time to get the popcorn me thinks

Boggles wrote: »

And Jazzy is supposed to be all 3.

:pac:

Mr Noggles

I met you one night in a library in phisboro, you asked me something similar!!
    this just got interesting ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Headshot wrote: »
    time to get the popcorn me thinks

Won't be time on my account. There will be more to say next Thursday.

It was a tough away fixture after preparations that were less than ideal (to say the least), and the team still had chances to get an away goal.

west ham and ports?

that's really clutching at straws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Won't be time on my account. There will be more to say next Thursday.

?

this just got interesting ;)

The funny thing is, it's a true story.

LL, We were good against Benifica will give you that. But too many times this season we have struggled.

• Advertisement

The funny thing is, it's a true story.

Bullplop!!

What was Jazzy doing in a library?, I know for a fact he can't read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

1-0 away from home with far from ideal preperation

Hardly a disaster, I am sure we will turn it around at Anfield, they are as bad as us away from home after all

Boggles wrote: »
    Bullplop!!

What was Jazzy doing in a library?, I know for a fact he can't read.

Actually, the library part may not be true.

Trilla wrote: »
    Ok its my opinion and I probably shouldnt have typed it. Probably best ignore it to be honest. This tie aint over Liverpool will turn this around I'd say.

No man, don't get me wrong. You're well entitled to it and i'm not having a go as such. I know you're not one really to go on wumming or anything. I just don't agree at all with your point.

Lucas was quiet tonight. So was the team. I just think, imo, Lucas is such a better footballer than people give him credit for!!

In time, i feel he will be quality. Maybe not a world beater. But he's not the donkey people make him out to be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I can't remember a shot on target tonight, can't see where the goals are going to come from next week

monkey9 wrote: »
    No man, don't get me wrong. You're well entitled to it and i'm not having a go as such. I know you're not one really to go on wumming or anything. I just don't agree at all with your point.

Lucas was quiet tonight. So was the team. I just think, imo, Lucas is such a better footballer than people give him credit for!!

In time, i feel he will be quality. Maybe not a world beater. But he's not the donkey people make him out to be!
    The question is Monkey is he just doesnt offer us enough going forward. yeah He got a good goal a few weeks ago but in a game where we need to win games he tends to be a bit ineffective. But agree he is very good at breaking up the play.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I can't remember a shot on target tonight, can't see where the goals are going to come from next week

we'll score 3 next week I'd say maybe 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The question is Monkey is he just doesnt offer us enough going forward. yeah He got a good goal a few weeks ago but in a game where we need to win games he tends to be a bit ineffective. But agree he is very good at breaking up the play.

He played the through ball for the Benny "goal".

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

mayordenis wrote: »
    we'll score 3 next week I'd say maybe 4.

Hopefully I'll be there myself might actually bring the boots might get a game;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

K-9 wrote: »
    He played the through ball for the Benny "goal".
    And the fantastic pass for Gerrards great chance.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Okay two chances. But is he as effective as Aqua. From what I have read Aqua is being frozen out over this alleged "phantom" ankle injury.
    He has played two very good games for us when he has started but it seems Rafa has decided he will only play Aqua if he has to.

this alleged "phantom" ankle injury.

:confused:

He's hardly injured if he's a sub? Where you read this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The disallowed goal?:)

Mr Alan wrote: »

If it was a Gerrard through ball and a Lucas miss, boy, would we hear about it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

:confused:

He's hardly injured if he's a sub? Where you read this?
    on another pool forum. Would make sense that if Aqua lied about his ankle Rafa might blank him.

• Advertisement

I can see us scoring next week alright.

If they score we are in trouble though especially without Torres.

An early goal though and the atmosphere will be electric

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

All four teams that had to travel overland had the worst of it performance wise. Now of course, home advantage would be huge at this stage of the competition under normal circumstances. But I definitely think it was a worthy factor in all four games.

While that may be true I also think the visiting teams made a meal of it. Ffs just allow an extra day, get the whole journey over with in one go and that's that. If you have two full days before the match day to recover that surely should be enough. after all were talking about pampered, massaged, dieted and physioed soccer professionals here.

Lyon for example took two days for a 360 miles journey which is an 8 hour bus trip on the continent at most. That's just ridiculous.

on another pool forum. Would make sense that if Aqua lied about his ankle Rafa might blank him.

Sounds far-fetched tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Thought Atletico played some lovely stuff in parts, especially in midfield.

But I'd fancy Liverpool to certainly score at Anfield where the tempo would be higher and crowd will be willing them on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

????????????????? ive never met ntlbell... i dont frequent that much bridges :)

• Advertisement

????????????????? ive never met ntlbell... i dont frequent that much many bridges :)

fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

tempo not high enough.

we let them play far too much without enough pressure on the ball.

we did well to get out of that 1-0; and we could've got something on another day.

i'm reasonably confident for Anfield, but i'm very nervous about the possibility of winning 2-1.

Sounds far-fetched tbh.
    It was a fan on the forum who brought it up althought Rafa did bring up the fact they had been having problems all season with one player. Its clear that he is not first choice which is a shame. Dont think Rafa is even talking about getting Aqua right for games any more so he seems be out of the picture as such.

Dont think Rafa is even talking about getting Aqua right for games any more so he seems be out of the picture as such.

because he is obsessed with the formation; all of Aquilani, Gerrard, Masch and Lucas don't fit.

and Rafa will not mess with a formula he trusts while we're struggling for the most part; i.e. Lucas and Masch sitting with Gerrard behind the front man.

SlickRic wrote: »
    because he is obsessed with the formation; all of Aquilani, Gerrard, Masch and Lucas don't fit.

and Rafa will not mess with a formula he trusts while we're struggling for the most part; i.e. Lucas and Masch sitting with Gerrard behind the front man.

can we clear this up. Lucas plays box to box but was he playing the holding role tonight. this seems to be the definition below
    A Holding midfielder is a player whose position of play is midway between the attacking strikers and the defenders. Their main functions are to dispossess (tackle) the opposing team, to retain possession of the ball, and to feed it to the strikers, and perhaps, to score as well

That is it in a nutshell. You could play those 4 and it looks great on paper, but you'd have no width.

Mascherano was very good tonight. At Anfield, you wouldn't need Lucas tracking back as much, or could go with Acquilani.

Masch

Kuyt Acquilani Benny

Gerrard

NGog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I've been very impressed with aqualani when he plays I think he could replace Gerrard in the coming years but will he be willing to stick around long enough behind Gerrard in the team is the question on current form I think he warrants being put in instead of Gerrard

can we clear this up. Lucas plays box to box but was he playing the holding role tonight. this seems to be the definition below
    A Holding midfielder is a player whose position of play is midway between the attacking strikers and the defenders. Their main functions are to dispossess (tackle) the opposing team, to retain possession of the ball, and to feed it to the strikers, and perhaps, to score as well

please don't start quoting definitions; pointless.

he's asked to play the holding role more often that not under Rafa.

there is no room in the team for all 4 that i mentioned, so Rafa is playing what he knows and trusts. that was all my point was. i did not ask for a Lucas debate on what kind of midfielder he is. we can all see where Rafa plays him, and what he asks of him most of the time, especially in games like this away from home.

please don't start quoting definitions; pointless.

he's asked to play the holding role more often that not under Rafa.

there is no room in the team for all 4 that i mentioned, so Rafa is playing what he knows and trusts. that was all my point was. i did not ask for a Lucas debate on what kind of midfielder he is. we can all see where Rafa plays him, and what he asks of him most of the time, especially in games like this away from home.
    Not arguing with you slic ric. Just some posters didnt think he was a holding midfielder and I think as a rule he is. He doesnt do that much box to box play.

Not arguing with you slic ric. Just some posters didnt think he was a holding midfielder and I think as a rule he is. He doesnt do that much box to box play.

He does, just nobody seems to bloody notice!

2 good assists were pointed out on already, in this game alone. If one had come of, we'd all be raving about Lucas. Football is fickle like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement