Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arriva agrees to takeover by Deutsche Bahn

• 22-04-2010 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭

Link
    UK train and bus operator Arriva has agreed to be taken over by Germany's Deutsche Bahn in a deal worth £1.59bn.

The deal is set to create one of Europe's biggest rail and bus transport groups.

Deutsche Bahn runs Germany's national rail services, as well as Chiltern Railways and rail freight services in the UK.

Arriva runs rail and bus services in 12 European countries, including Arriva Trains Wales in the UK.

Deutsche Bahn's chief executive Rudiger Grube said he expected the deal to help his company expand further in Europe, targeting Europe's "increasingly liberalised and fast-growing transport markets" which he said were "of strategic interest to Deutsche Bahn".

Consolidation plans

The German operator is keen to expand beyond its domestic market, where it faces increased competition.

Arriva's chairman Sir Richard Broadbent said the £1.59bn price tag "fully reflects the value of the business".

Shareholders will now be asked to give their approval for the deal.

A takeover of the Sunderland-based company has been on the cards for months amid a trend towards consolidation of the European transport industry.

Arriva's agreement with Deutsche Bahn follows talks earlier this year with France's train operator SNCF, which ultimately broke down.

Deutsche Bahn's Mr Grube said he expected the newly merged group to eventually be one of the few leading transport companies operating in Europe.

Something to distract us from the DubBus announcement. This is a big deal for transport all over Europe, pity they have no operation here to speak of. DB* are already a huge company and now must rank amongst the EUs largest with this purchase if it goes through. Still, having the Germans running things can only be a good thing :)

Maybe they'll buy and sort out CIE :pac:

*Deutsche Bahn

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

A company like Deutsche Bahn would sooner buy bottled farts than a monolithic waste like CIE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I would LOVE to see DB management vs. CIE Unions though. I'd be spectacular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Cowie group are a ****e bus operator, so ****e they changed their name

More than spectacular. Absolute carnage.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

DWCommuter wrote: »
    More than spectacular. Absolute carnage.:D
    I doubt if this would be true,DB is a unionised company in Germany and Im sure Industrial Relations would simply carry on in the normal way.
    Im quite sure that the Unions would be very wary of privatisation though.

• Advertisement

I doubt if this would be true,DB is a unionised company in Germany and Im sure Industrial Relations would simply carry on in the normal way.

But industrial relations in CIE are certainly not "normal".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Fitz Guddentheidt

Link
    Maybe they'll buy and sort out CIE :pac:

*Deutsche Bahn

Im trying to understand you Cookie Monster. You seem to speak with forked tongue: You're on another thread extolling the virtues of Bus Eireann and how they should be protected and here you're saying they should be sold? Make up your mind man and try to use one face at a time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Im trying to understand you Cookie Monster. You seem to speak with forked tongue: You're on another thread extolling the virtues of Bus Eireann and how they should be protected and here you're saying they should be sold? Make up your mind man and try to use one face at a time!

well if you did read the other thread in full, specifically here, you'd see that I am not supporting BE directly, but since that's what we have that's what I'll support. the concept of CIE I support, the practice is a different matter entirely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭FlameoftheWest

It would be worth it in the end though.

I have a freind who drives S-Bahns in Stuttgart and I visited him there once and met his co workers. They were all great guys and TRUE public transport professionals. CIE unions are nothing like this - they are not even public transport workers - they drive trains and punch tickets. I would consider the CIE union culture to be akin to the fishing boat scene from One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest compared to what I witness with the unionised rail staff at DB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

. CIE unions are nothing like this - they are not even public transport workers - they drive trains and punch tickets.

What? :confused: 'they drive trains and punch tickets' - that sounds like public transport work to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Still, having the Germans running things can only be a good thing :)
    Until complacency and greed set in as Berlin commuters found out when they lost half their services because of skimping on maintenance.

I have a freind who drives S-Bahns in Stuttgart and I visited him there once and met his co workers. They were all great guys and TRUE public transport professionals. CIE unions are nothing like this - they are not even public transport workers - they drive trains and punch tickets. I would consider the CIE union culture to be akin to the fishing boat scene from One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest compared to what I witness with the unionised rail staff at DB.

Perhaps thats says more about management in DB than the trade unions in IE!

You are right. The management in DB are better than the management in IE. But the union culture in IE is far more greed and personal agenda driven that our comrades in DB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Quite ironic that the various British Governments wanted privatisation and now a vast chunk of rail operations is owned and run by the German state. These companies get plenty of tax payer subsidies as well.

Well yeah. A pox on both their houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Quite ironic that the various British Governments wanted privatisation and now a vast chunk of rail operations is owned and run by the German state. These companies get plenty of tax payer subsidies as well.

Owned yes, run no and hardly vast as I know a few English people who didn't know who I was on about when I mentioned it (Though it's big enough). DB is fully owned by the German state but actually operates in the private sector.

Well yeah. A pox on both their houses.

A very constructive comment that!

Advertisement