Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-regging

Options
  • 22-04-2010 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭

Can an Admin please clarify once and for all whether you get a site-ban for re-regging to get around a site ban on an original account?

I have seen one case of this lately where a poster was site-banned, re-regged so that they could get around the site ban and post in Helpdesk and the Admins removed the ban from all accounts.

I find this to be very inconsistant when others get a permanent ban for doing the same.

Why do Admins treat some posters differently and change the rules to suit?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

TheZohan wrote: »
    Can an Admin please clarify once and for all whether you get a site-ban for re-regging to get around a site ban on an original account?
    Once and for all?

Yes, re-regging to get around a siteban will get your original account a ban, temp or perm depending.
    I have seen one case of this lately where a poster was site-banned, re-regged so that they could get around the site ban and post in Helpdesk and the Admins removed the ban from all accounts.
    Example please.
    I find this to be very inconsistant when others get a permanent ban for doing the same.

We don't afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Everyone deserves a second chance, no?

Everyone deserves a second chance, no?
    I'm not saying we don't give chances/second chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Gordon wrote: »
    Once and for all?

Yes, re-regging to get around a siteban will get your original account a ban, temp or perm depending.

Example please.

We don't afaik.

Example: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055875767

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I'm not saying we don't give chances/second chances.

That was posted before your reply showed up Gordon, it was directed at The Zohan, I probably should have quoted him

• Advertisement

That account is sitebanned. I'm a bit lost now.
    the Admins removed the ban from all accounts.

That account is sitebanned. I'm a bit lost now.

It is, but the main account of the troll that re-regged is still alive and kicking.

I ws under the impression that if you get a ban and re-reg to get around that ban you get both accounts banned....

Edit: I wasn't very clear in my first post

You do, yes. shamblertines siteban was for one week. The other account was a permanent siteban.

Thanks. :)

Also can you clarify how many times you will give someone the beneft of the doubt when they play "it was my flatmate that trolled and not my alt account" when a poster gets landed in Prison.

I mean you can be unlucky maybe once with a flatmate, but to have it happen twice...that's really bad luck.

I think boards would be leaving themselves open to a lot of trolls using the "flatmate" excuse, at that rate you wouldn't be able to ban anyone.

Thanks. :)

Also can you clarify how many times you will give someone the beneft of the doubt when they play "it was my flatmate that trolled and not my alt account" when a poster gets landed in Prison.
    How many times has this person claimed such a thing?
    I mean you can be unlucky maybe once with a flatmate, but to have it happen twice...that's really bad luck.

I think boards would be leaving themselves open to a lot of trolls using the "flatmate" excuse, at that rate you wouldn't be able to ban anyone.
    Ah yes, we've had such interesting things happen for a decade now.

• Advertisement

How many times has this person claimed such a thing?

Ah yes, we've had such interesting things happen for a decade now.

This person has claimed such a thing twice, if you use your magic powers you can verify this, I think.

Also I think if I gave someone the benefit of the doubt I might question it if having lifted a ban the same posted spoke of getting satisfaction from forcing other posters to put them on ignore.

What do you think?

This person has claimed such a thing twice, if you use your magic powers you can verify this, I think.
    I tried and failed, if you've got something to show me, show me please.
    Also I think if I gave someone the benefit of the doubt I might question it if having lifted a ban the same posted spoke of getting satisfaction from forcing other posters to put them on ignore.

What do you think?
    As stated earlier, I give people chances. But those chances do run out when they get into trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

I agree there. if im correct, The procedure is if youre site banned your case is answered on the prison forum. Is this true. User got his site ban lifted after re regging and making his case on Help desk.

I agree there. if im correct, The procedure is if youre site banned your case is answered on the prison forum. Is this true. User got his site ban lifted after re regging and making his case on Help desk.
    User gets sitebanned for a week, creates a new account to discuss on helpdesk as they didn't realise to post on Prison, gets new account banned and discusses on Prison. Then 1 week siteban lifts.

it seems this poster was given benefit of the doubt. Surely when he was banned a message would have gone up on his original account that he could appeal his ban on Prison forum. Dont get how poster missed that

Lots of people miss that, very few people see it.

I dont think that is fair gordon at all . Some of us went through the correct procedure to appeal our bans which is through the prison forum . What is the point of site bans if people then bypass prison forum to get off. Cant believe that people can miss a message when its posted right at the top of their page.
    Not happy at all about this.

The user posted their appeal in Prison, however the ban was for one week.

The user posted their appeal in Prison, however the ban was for one week.
    I have no problem if once this appeal went to help desk it was diverted straight away back to prison forum.
    But again if site banned posters are missing the link to the prison forum it needs to be made clearer.
    The problem if poster attempts to use help desk to get their site bans appealed they are getting an extra ear as such.

I have no problem if once this appeal went to help desk it was diverted straight away back to prison forum.
    Fair enough, as you'll see from the link posted earlier, if you read that you'll see that's exactly what happened, so I presume there's no problem now.

For fear of going round and round like this all day I'm closing this later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Initial question has been answered by Gordon.

I'm closing this thread as its wandered off topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement