Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC broadband wireless router

• 22-04-2010 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

When you order upc broadband and don't choose a wireless router what do you get? i have a wireless router already can i connect that instead of paying €50 for a new one? Also, do any digital phones work with UPC? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You get a cable modem with no wireless feature (though it might still be a router). If your router is just a router (not a DSL modem/router) then it can be used with it.

Are you getting the UPC phone service too?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bossdon

Yes i hope to get broadband and phone currently a digital tv subscriber. Has any one had any experience in keeping your number when you switch how long does the process take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

standard DOCSIS modem is scientific atlanta (Cisco) - non wireless EMTA (Embedded multimedia terminal adaptor - has Ethernet and RJ-11 phone ports on same)

Wireless router used to be a Netgear ( the one you buy) - not sure what now

Your DSL wireless router will NOT work - so if you have a Netopia etc etc it will be no use - anything with a "dsl" port in ther back will be no use generally.

Porting takes from 10-20 working days USUALLY but it can be longer, depends on loads of stuff. Normal DECT digital phones should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Regarding the porting of the phone number,if you are moving from Magnet or Smart,UPC may not be able to port the number over.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bossdon

think ill just go for the 15mb bundle with free wireless router! My concern now is I will be without phone and broadband duringthe porting process. Is there anyway to avoid this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

Bossdon,

I got the 15mb bundle with UPC....when you are connected up by UPC your broadband and phone will work straight away. You're given a phone number by UPC but I never used it, I ported my number over..

Your phone line will still be working until your number is ported to upc, DON'T cancel your phone line before you get UPC in.....other wise the number can't be ported! It took about 13 days for my number to get ported but that's only cos BT fecked up on their end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

disco girl wrote: »
    Bossdon,

I got the 15mb bundle with UPC....when you are connected up by UPC your broadband and phone will work straight away. You're given a phone number by UPC but I never used it, I ported my number over..

Your phone line will still be working until your number is ported to upc, DON'T cancel your phone line before you get UPC in.....other wise the number can't be ported! It took about 13 days for my number to get ported but that's only cos BT fecked up on their end.

Hi disco girl, I was looking into moving from eircom to UPC. What's the phone service like? I don't know much about how it connects up. UPC provide a DECT basestation but does the phone need to be connected to this by cable or is it wireless meaning the phone can be anywhere in the house? Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

mgsrocks wrote: »
    Hi disco girl, I was looking into moving from eircom to UPC. What's the phone service like? I don't know much about how it connects up. UPC provide a DECT basestation but does the phone need to be connected to this by cable or is it wireless meaning the phone can be anywhere in the house? Cheers

Yeah the phone is cable connected to the modem.....it comes in on the same line as the broadband.

I'm having some problems with my phone at the moment which UPC are trying to resolve....

Advertisement