Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i need a secondhand foam surfboard please

Options
  • 22-04-2010 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

thanks if anyone has one or knows where i can get one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

What do you want to buy a foamie for? It's like looking to buy a tricycle. If you want a board to learn on, buy a mini-mal or maybe even a pop-out, something you can keep after you get the hang of popping up and want to start getting out the back - there's no way you'll get outside in decent swell on a foamie.
    If you're intent though, the best place is probably from the guys at the beach who give lessons using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 premiercounty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I have one foamy lying around, I'd nearly give it away at this stage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 murphgayle

hey thank for the reply, i actually have a 7''8 take off epoxy board but myself and my girlfriend are finding it really hard to learn on it you know? so i thought a foam board would help us along what you think?

tyler71 wrote: »
    What do you want to buy a foamie for? It's like looking to buy a tricycle. If you want a board to learn on, buy a mini-mal or maybe even a pop-out, something you can keep after you get the hang of popping up and want to start getting out the back - there's no way you'll get outside in decent swell on a foamie.
    If you're intent though, the best place is probably from the guys at the beach who give lessons using them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 murphgayle

hey thanks a mil but it's way too expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Hi seachto where are you based? looking for a foamie for the duaghter and her friend . There both nine. Started them off last year on a soft top a friend has but a foamie would be ideal

I'm in Limerick folks. Just outside the city. The board is only lying around at the moment...

not necessarily giving it away, but won't be haggling either..

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

murphgayle wrote: »
    hey thank for the reply, i actually have a 7''8 take off epoxy board but myself and my girlfriend are finding it really hard to learn on it you know? so i thought a foam board would help us along what you think?

Have ye tried going for a lesson with the schools just to see what you're buying even? They are of really limited value to beginners.

What aspects do ye find difficult? (popping up, turning, catching waves, paddling) It might be of more benefit to get a larger board (8'4 or 9')

even though I have a foamie lying around, I would agree with kodute, try out some bigger boards, mals...

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

What's the other dimensions of your board?, i.e. width and thickness (will be written on the back of the board). Also, as was mentioned above, what are you having trouble with, popping up or just catching the wave? If popping up is the problem, going with a wider board may help, if it's just catching the wave, the board may not be of sufficient volume, although that's fairly unlikely with a 7'8" - it could just be your technique and that I'm afraid just takes time.
    Having been through a long frustrating time when I was learning myself, what I would recommend to any beginner is to get a bodyboard as well and split your sessions. Because you'll have fins on, you'll have no problems getting outside and will be able to catch a lot more waves and get a good sense of what waves to catch and when to paddle for them. This will help a lot when going back to the surfboard and will keep you going when you think you're going nowhere. Stick at it and catching your first clean wave will make all the hard work worthwhile.

• Advertisement
Advertisement