Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BW Farmhouse C&C, Opinions/Advice

• 22-04-2010 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭

I've had my DSLR for nearly a year and it's about time to de-cloak. So any feedback on style, comp or PP is welcome.

565771A8AA2D4C639397937AEF25D943-500.jpg

0B6287F804B64EA2B5098312FBB93015-500.jpg

D60E0301E6344FF681B14BC88B135459-500.jpg

095168E5D712463AA5FE047CBCF98F2D-500.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

I really like #1

the others dont do much for me

The pylon kills #3

how did you convert them to black & white?

I think they are more variants of Grey than B&W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Youve done a nice black and white conversion there. I do think they could do with a little extra contrast and the overhead wires are distracting in the last two so they could be cropped down a bit but its a nice set.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd darken them somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

I think you did okay given the subject matter, which doesn't look too interesting IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

ozymandius wrote: »
    I've had my DSLR for nearly a year and it's about time to de-cloak. So any feedback on style, comp or PP is welcome.

I like 1 and 2. 3 is a little overexposed. The power lines spoil the last two. I can almost hear the insulators crackling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I like #2, it could do with a grimmer feel maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

is the place a special place for you? emotional connections or anything?

in so far as it is documenting the general scene I think you've done well. It can always be tempting to over dramatise images (god knows, I do it often enough myself to attempt to bring out more than what was actually there), but you've gone pretty honest with these images. apart from the b/w conversion they are (i suspect) true to the location.

If I were to describe them, i'd say they were crisp - which is sharp so assuming that was your intentions then I think you've done well. Could be sharper but then again it may not have suited the scene.

No exif available in pix.ie so can't comment on your shooting configuration but to the eye, on screen, and in small format, they look well.

something you could consider, would be to vary the shooting points - try dropping the camera to ground level for instance and it will give completely different perspectives on the view and outlook of the image.

#1 is my personal choice but I think the lot do make up a interesting set.

nicely done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

Thanks all. Yes, the buildings are near home so I suppose there is some emotional attachment. I was of two minds about the powerlines and pylons. The do jar somewhat, but they are part of the rural vista - it contrasts the ruin and progress in the countryside. Also, while I have access to PS in work, I don't have the skill to do a decent removal job So as a narative they kind of fit. Maybe not as a portrait.

I seem to be attracted, currently, to images of decay - maybe an age thing :) Also I find it difficult to work in colour so have drifted towrds BW/grey/duo.

Conversions were done in LR with a trial of Silver Efex -as suggested here recently. No, I can't afford to buy it - so I'll have to figure out doing conversions the long way. A bit over-done maybe and lost contrast.

Sorry about the exif - my mistake.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Image #1 - I wonder who was the last inhabitant to exit that door?

Advertisement