Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned surfers

Options
  • 22-04-2010 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Please advise whether the ban has been lifted on all banned surfers following the nonsense last year or the year before? The discussion on the surfing site was stopped / locked. I asked several times about this but was not answered by the mods.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055828925

The actions of previous mods were heavy handed and now judged to be wrong. See attached

This ban should be lifted and if not, what is the reason?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Some, if not all, of the bans were completely justified if I remember correctly.

I dont remember any blanket statement that the actions of the previous mods were judged to be wrong?

Best bet is for any banned poster who wants access to create a post in the prison forum so the admins can lift or retain the ban on a case by case basis. I, for one, would be strongly against lifting the ban for the poster that threatened the mod and his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

LoLth wrote: »
    Some, if not all, of the bans were completely justified if I remember correctly.

I dont remember any blanket statement that the actions of the previous mods were judged to be wrong?

Best bet is for any banned poster who wants access to create a post in the prison forum so the admins can lift or retain the ban on a case by case basis. I, for one, would be strongly against lifting the ban for the poster that threatened the mod and his family.

I think there is a valid case here for a lot of bans to be lifted.

I don't agree about a blanket statement, but I think it was more an acknowledgement that the regular users of a forum know whats best for their own forum. As such decisions were reversed.
    So it should be that anyone who felt aggrieved by past decisions and want to return should be allowed to do so. As long as its in line with site policy of course! :)

Anyone who physically threatens users/mods/anyone should not be allowed back. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I would leave this one to DeVore tbh. Quite a lot went on behind the scenes back then, he knows what happened and would probably have an opinion on what happened.

That was before I was a mod so I'm sitting on the fence for this one.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If a surfer comes back to us and says "hey, I'd like to have access to be part of the community" then ok, i'll bury the hatchet.

The guy who threatened the mod is not welcome, whoever he is.

So, be reasonable but we need not bend over backwards. They would need to at least accept our approach to "sekrit surf spots".

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Please advise whether the ban has been lifted on all banned surfers following the nonsense last year or the year before? The discussion on the surfing site was stopped / locked. I asked several times about this but was not answered by the mods.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055828925

The actions of previous mods were heavy handed and now judged to be wrong. See attached

This ban should be lifted and if not, what is the reason?
    Ahhhh... Good times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Lolth
    Ok, tell me why I was banned and why the insulting ban message posted above was directed to me? My previous login was DaveJ. Those who carried out the ban should review why and decide. With power comes responsibility.
    Actually, the most contentious action by the previous mods, ie making the map a sticky, has been reversed following input from experienced surfers and other users, some of whom have returned to contribute to the forum again. There was finally an acknowledgement of the culture that goes with surfing.

Devore
    If a surfer comes back to us and says "hey, I'd like to have access to be part of the community" then ok, i'll bury the hatchet.
    And how are they to know? Surely, as noted above, it the responsibility of those who indisciminately banned surfers to lift the ban, unless there is a reason to maintain it.

Lolth

Ok, tell me why I was banned and why the insulting ban message posted above was directed to me? My previous login was DaveJ. Those who carried out the ban should review why and decide. With power comes responsibility.

and thats exactly what I'm proposing. it should be reviewed on a case by case basis. Glad we agree on that. Post in the prison forum and I'll review the case for DaveJ. Thats where we handle ban reviews.

Actually, the most contentious action by the previous mods, ie making the map a sticky, has been reversed following input from experienced surfers and other users, some of whom have returned to contribute to the forum again. There was finally an acknowledgement of the culture that goes with surfing.

still not a blanket statement that all decisions made by previous mods/admins were incorrect. A ruling was reversed, it happens and if anything its a good sign that it happens.

Devore

And how are they to know? Surely, as noted above, it the responsibility of those who indisciminately banned surfers to lift the ban, unless there is a reason to maintain it.

not to speak on behalf of DeVore, he is more than capable of speaking for himself, but the admins accept the responsibility of reviewing the site bans. As far as I can tell, not all surfers were banned which means it was neither indiscriminate nor targetted at surfers. There was most likely another reason and that is the reason that would be reviewed. How would they know if their siteban was reversed? If they are itnerested in posting on boards, then let them post in the prison forum and an admin will deal with it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

My previous login was DaveJ. Those who carried out the ban should review why and decide.

Site banned people are not allowed to rereg.
    You should be making your appeal in the Prison forum under your DaveJ nick.
    And how are they to know? Surely, as noted above, it the responsibility of those who indisciminately banned surfers to lift the ban

People were not indiscriminatley banned.
    The decision at the time was that we would allow people to freely discuss the maps. That has not changed.
    Anyone who complained about that fact were told that they would be site banned.

Those who continued to complain after that were site banned.
    Most of the people who were site banned at the time signed up to this site for no other purpose than to complain.
    Most of them were not existing members.
    They were signing up for one reason only.

Anyone who wishes to come back have the same option as all other members on this site who are site banned, they can appeal in the Prison forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

You should be making your appeal in the Prison forum under your DaveJ nick.

I have tried to post in the Prison forum but am not allowed under this account. I no longer have login details for previous account of DaveJ, but I still request the reason that I was banned. If admins are not willing to go into it, so be it. I have posted several times on the surfing forum in recent months and I think most would agree that the current atmosphere and level of discussion is fine.

Lolth,
    still not a blanket statement that all decisions made by previous mods/admins were incorrect. A ruling was reversed,

I did not mention any blanket statements, I did not say all or most actions, etc see my first posting again.

It is unlikely that there will be a consensus of agreement on this issue, and the two sides will never really respect the other. As such it is a waste of everyone's time to continue. But luckily the importance of faceless opposition matters not a whit when paddling for a wave in the real world.

I have tried to post in the Prison forum but am not allowed under this account. I no longer have login details for previous account of DaveJ, but I still request the reason that I was banned. If admins are not willing to go into it, so be it. I have posted several times on the surfing forum in recent months and I think most would agree that the current atmosphere and level of discussion is fine.

your current account isnt banned, only banned accounts can start a thread in the prison forum. If you've lost the login credentials for the DaveJ account, then you wouldnt be able to use it anyway even if the ban was lifted! And on the same subject, are you sure it was DaveJ? There is a davej registered but he is neither banned nor a regular of the surfing forum. I cant find a record of another DaveJ account to check the account history, I'll keep looking though but if you can double check the username for me that would be great.

Lolth,

I did not mention any blanket statements, I did not say all or most actions, etc see my first posting again.

It is unlikely that there will be a consensus of agreement on this issue, and the two sides will never really respect the other. As such it is a waste of everyone's time to continue. But luckily the importance of faceless opposition matters not a whit when paddling for a wave in the real world.

One decision was changed and you quoted that as a reason to unban all of the accounts that were banned as a result of the original argument. Its not. If the banned users want to use boards again then they are free to apply on the prison forum, just like any other user, and have the ban reviewed, just like any other user. this isnt faceless opposition, its faceless fairness :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement