Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting new house-Dirt and dust

Options
  • 22-04-2010 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭

Hi all just moved into a new house today. It has been unoccupied for over a year so it's pretty dusty and in need of a good clean to be honest. Just wondering are we within our rights to ask the landlord to get cleaners in? There's a lot of builders dust and the fire
    place needs to be cleaned out etc.
    Any advice appreciated,
    thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I would think not. I assume you viewed the place before you moved in and were happy with it's condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

Yes we viewed it a week ago, he said he would get the carpet shampoo'd on the stairs and give the place a general clean. All he has done is install new smoke alarms. Also asked him for curtains but none up yet so everyone passing on the street can see in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Yes we viewed it a week ago, he said he would get the carpet shampoo'd on the stairs and give the place a general clean. All he has done is install new smoke alarms. Also asked him for curtains but none up yet so everyone passing on the street can see in.
    you took it as it stood
    curtains, yes
    clean a bit of dust, no

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

id say the place should be near spotless when you move in unless they want a layer of dust left when you decide to move out?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Why not straight out ask your landlord when the carpets will be shampooed, and when curtains are being put up, if he said he'd be putting them up.

It's pretty normal to have bits to be done to a place after you have moved in but you have to be willing to approach the landlord and repeat your requests if necessary.

If you've been contacting the landlord by email then send him a list of works that need doing, try not to make it too long a list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If you are moved in then its your place to clean. I always clean a place when I move in from top to toe, it just doesn't feel like my place until I have cleaned it to my satisfaction.
    Curtains though are not an unreasonable thing to ask for.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

Only signed the lease yesterday. Landlord arrived with curtains for us to put up so happy enough with that. He said he knew the place was dirty but would get us a half fill of oil if we cleaned it ourselves so we agreed. Oil today and place nearly clean enough to put all our stuff away. Happy out. Thanks for all your advice everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Hi all just moved into a new house today. It has been unoccupied for over a year so it's pretty dusty and in need of a good clean to be honest. Just wondering are we within our rights to ask the landlord to get cleaners in? There's a lot of builders dust and the fire
    place needs to be cleaned out etc.
    Any advice appreciated,
    thanks in advance.

Be VERY careful here.
    I signed a lease but when I moved in the house was dirty. it hadn't been cleaned in close to a year. I wrote a list of everything wrong with it and got the estate agent to sign it agreeing that was the condition I got it.
    I cleaned it from top to bottom.

6 months later I was moving out. I cleaned it pretty well, apart from the oven which i only used one (the grease left by the previous occupants caught fire so I didn't bother with the oven again)
    When I moved out the EA accused me of breaking things, leaving it filthy, blamed me for the 10 years of limescale on the shower doors etc etc...
    Luckily I had that letter she signed when I was moving in.

I also took photos when I moved in. The EA accused me of taking them afterwards because "there is no way they would rent out a place like that".. but they returned my deposit!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Be VERY careful here.
    I signed a lease but when I moved in the house was dirty. it hadn't been cleaned in close to a year. I wrote a list of everything wrong with it and got the estate agent to sign it agreeing that was the condition I got it.
    I cleaned it from top to bottom.

6 months later I was moving out. I cleaned it pretty well, apart from the oven which i only used one (the grease left by the previous occupants caught fire so I didn't bother with the oven again)
    When I moved out the EA accused me of breaking things, leaving it filthy, blamed me for the 10 years of limescale on the shower doors etc etc...
    Luckily I had that letter she signed when I was moving in.

I also took photos when I moved in. The EA accused me of taking them afterwards because "there is no way they would rent out a place like that".. but they returned my deposit!

Been there done that.. same old accusations.. What is it with these people?

The fact that we get the deposits back is the real proof that they are lying.
    But it stings, doesn't it? To be accused of leaving a place dirty...

Advertisement