Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Toole town

Options
  • 22-04-2010 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

I saw in the Herald this week the map of the new O'Tooles development, which personally I think is a huge development for the Town of Tuam and will change the face of the town forever.

What are other peoples opinions on the development, economy aside and personalities aside, (no personal attacks on the O'Toole family required).

Do you think it would be good or bad for the town, or do you think it will ever be done?

O'Toole town good or bad 12 votes

Good for Tuam
    0% 0 votes
    Bad for Tuam
    50% 6 votes
    Will never be built
    41% 5 votes
    White Elephant
    8% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I think it will be good if it can attract some other stores into the town such as clothes shops. It should tidy the place up a bit too and as long as they don't go digging into the park. We are blessed to have such a big green area in the town, would be a shame to have it dug up.

From the pictures, it looks neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

Tinder wrote: »
    I saw in the Herald this week the map of the new O'Tooles development, which personally I think is a huge development for the Town of Tuam and will change the face of the town forever.

What are other peoples opinions on the development, economy aside and personalities aside, (no personal attacks on the O'Toole family required).

Do you think it would be good or bad for the town, or do you think it will ever be done?

the scale of the new development is too large for the centre of tuam and there is not enough of a population around to support it.
    o tooles is fine the way it is at the moment and with the recession the thing might never go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

As far as I can see the development does not go near the park. The new road follows the river bank.

I think it could be good for the town and force other landlords to pick up their socks, I think the retail units will be snapped up simply because of the scale of the supermarket and its draw, there is no other supermarket in Tuam and we can see what happens when one tries to compete with Supervalu.

The Hotel will be overlooking the park, I think so could be a decent wedding venue. There will always be need for nursing homes. So overall I think it will be a positive step, the new road and extra parking will be a winner for sure after all most people in Tuam will not walk a foot more than is absolutely necessary, they would drive down the isles of the shops if they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭RichCRX

I envisage a half finished project and leave it at that...approach.to be honest I think its stupid doing all this when there is places around the town that are built and unused...if they spent there time promoting them places and making them more attractive to enter then it would be better and more important things in the town such as the run down grove and maybe even a railway route or fix up the blasting roads instead!

O'toole town...you've said it...someone is pulling all the right strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

O'Toole gets to keep rivals out of the town as he's always strived to do.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Not sure how much you could promote the other developments in the town, the ones that are down near the shopping centre are all white elephants and I imagine we will all have a share in them soon (NAMA) they were always doomed as far as I can see, with the supermarket end of the shopping centre being too small to offer any serious competition to O'Toole's and the square footage being to small to attract a major player it was always going to be very hard to get people to walk down that direction to do their shopping. Look what happened In-house, I think it was a month after moving down there they were gone.

As regards keeping rivals out is that not just business! Now that he has got his permission to go ahead do you think Tesco could still turn up opposite Town and Country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Any truth in the rumor that Pat Joyce (Joyces Headford/Athenry/Knocknacarra) is going to be setting up stall in the old Costcutters?

I heard that alright, but not so sure as I believe he got into some strife on the building side of the business and funds may be a little short. Anyway I would imagine nobody will make a decision on going in there until Tesco get their decision on their planning application for the N17 (Milltown Road) site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Tinder wrote: »
    I heard that alright, but not so sure as I believe he got into some strife on the building side of the business and funds may be a little short. Anyway I would imagine nobody will make a decision on going in there until Tesco get their decision on their planning application for the N17 (Milltown Road) site.

Don't think that's right - the building side of the business isn't actually Pat Joyce's business - it's his brothers.
    Pat is the supermarket man.

Advertisement