Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timer for Immersion Heater

Options
  • 22-04-2010 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Our water & heating is oil so in summer no hot water unless heating is on.
    I want to put a timer on the immersion to come on for maybe half hour per day. So should I put a timer on the consumer unit trip or can I replace the normal 2 pole bath/sink switch with one and if so can anyone recommend make.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

The little Hager ones that fit in the consumer unit are dead handy to install and program, I think they're cheap enough.
    3985.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Chronotherm controls do a timer which fits over the buttons. Its quite good and easy to fit. If you phone them they will give you the nearest agent

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

You can get combined Immersion switches with built in timer or you could put an Immersion timer in series with your switch, so that you select which element you want to use and the timer will switch it on at the pre-determined time. You also might consider a fused switch also in series to provide back up protection for the timer. The reason I would put the timer near the switch is that it's more accessible, the fuseboard timers work great but are awkward to access.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

depends on where your immersion switch is, if its on the outside of the hotpress just fit a timer underneath or beside using a 47 mm drylined box.
    if its buired in the hot press fit the timer on the outside to make it handy to opperate. the din rail timers are handy and come in 24 hr or 7day but like shamfeen says a bit of a pain if you want to adjust it getting up to the board everytime.
    apt clocks are the chepest and easiest opperate but imo dont last as long as they should. the company joey mentioned do a lot of flash clocks including their version of an apt which is cheaper and a bit better.
    they also do a range of din rail mounted clocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

• Advertisement
Advertisement