Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lizard keeps whacking his head off the wall

Options
  • 22-04-2010 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭

My Chinese Water Dragon (well my sister's, I hate him) keeps putting both hands on the wall of his tank and smacking his head off the wall.

Why's he doing this?

Also, something very annoying, he jumps around his tank till someone takes him out. When he's out, he takes a dump and runs back to his tank to go back in! Then 2 minutes later, he's banging around trying to get out again.

What's his deal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

You've just conjured up hilarious images of him! Sounds like quite a character.
    I am not an expert on exotic pets by any means but my instant reaction would be to ask

1. Is he bored?
    2. Is the tank big enough for him?

Hope you get some good advice here.

Eibhin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Ya know what I reckon it's both. It's a small tank, it was big when he was younger. Also, if I had to spend that much time in a tank, my head would be smeared all over the wall.

Haha, it looks like he's trying to kill himself or trying to forget his drunken escapades from last night's frat party.

Thanx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

This is sadly far too common in Chinese water dragons - how big is the cage? Height is better than length & they need a big tub to swim in! If he is whacking glass you need to cover or paint the glass - they can & do wear away their jaws! I painted my glass with green glass paint which did help. I used a large plastic tub with luke warm water in for drinking & swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The poor fella, as said he's bored out of his skull. I know you say you don't like him but if you can persuade your sis to get him a much larger tank etc. as mentioned. Just reading that is so sad the poor guy.

I'll try. It probably has to do with the smell of it. She hasn't cleaned it in ages either.... She got him when she lived away, but moved back recently and fobbed him off on us. I don't agree with caging of any animal. 'tis a horrible existance.

Thanx for your replies guys. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Fago! wrote: »
    I don't agree with caging of any animal. 'tis a horrible existance.

I agree.

I think of it as "Imagine I was stuck to live in a small cage or tank all day with nothing to do, no friends, and just a generally **** quality of life"

No siree bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭antocann

Fago! wrote: »
    IIt probably has to do with the smell of it. She hasn't cleaned it in ages either

this has got to be said ,
    she shouldnt be allowed pets, plenty of reptile rescue place will take lizards and look after it properly,
    lizards, when pets should be kept clean , and in a tank big enough for them , if she aint gona get a tank or clean it she should give it to the rescue centre

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

FAYESY wrote: »
    If he is whacking glass you need to cover or paint the glass - they can & do wear away their jaws! I painted my glass with green glass paint which did help. I used a large plastic tub with luke warm water in for drinking & swimming.

Way too common--Theres a pet shop near me that Ive had numerous words with about their water dragons--One of them is missing half its lower jaw from rubbing.
    Ive explained to them that all they need is 5/6 inches of dark glass at the bottom of the cage but the excuse is that customers cant see the animals then :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Op--You need a bigger cage and need to do the above ASAP.

antocann wrote: »
    this has got to be said ,
    she shouldnt be allowed pets, plenty of reptile rescue place will take lizards and look after it properly,
    lizards, when pets should be kept clean , and in a tank big enough for them , if she aint gona get a tank or clean it she should give it to the rescue centre

Listen, the first one to say that was me. I hate the fact that she has pets because she is an irresponsible bint! Given half the chance, I'd give him back to whereever he came from...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

if the water dragon is being kept in a GLASS tank, this is probably why he is banging his head against the glass.
    Water dragons, are notorious for this, they see their reflection as a rival, especially if it is a male. This results in part of the jaw wearing away, revealing the inside of the dragons mouth.
    I suggest you get a wooden vivarium, depending on the size of the dragon. They look better, and come in bigger sizes, and this will help eliminate the dragon from banging his head off the glass, yes the wooden vivs have glass fronts BUT with all the other sides being wooden it will help him feel more secure in his environment.
    Just make sure there is plenty of decorations in there for him, some branches to climb on, a basking spot, a DEEP water bowl as they do like to soak in there from time to time as their name suggests.

If you are handy with wood, you could also make her one, like i said depending on its size, or pass on this info to her and maybe everything we all have said here will spur her into taking care of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Considering the circumstance would you consider putting him up for re homing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I know she's left you stuck with him but could you not just clean him out now and then until he gets sorted and look at finding him an experienced home, it sounds like she isn't bothered wether the animal stays or goes anyway so go over her head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

If you want to rehome him I can & will look after him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭antocann

id love another lizard but iv got 1 beardy egg left and hope for the best it hatches and it lives , but for now iv got my 2 bearded dragons and my egyption uromastyx
    verry good pets the lizards are

Considering the circumstance would you consider putting him up for re homing?

See below.

That's a very kind offer and thanks very much, but you see he's not mine. He's my sister's. if it were my choice, he'd be on your doorstep last night. She's adamant that she stays around. Plus you wouldn't want him. When he was younger, half his tail fell off and hasn't grown back. I'd say in the lizard world he'd be teased and never let join in any reindeer lizard games. Saying that, if she ever decides to rehome, you'll be the one I look up so thanx. Also, she might be going away to travel soon, so if she does, I'm gonna rehome him and tell her he died, so I'll think of you then.
    I know she's left you stuck with him but could you not just clean him out now and then until he gets sorted and look at finding him an experienced home, it sounds like she isn't bothered wether the animal stays or goes anyway so go over her head.

She's adamant he stays. Bitch. I'll get her to clean the tank later today or tomorrow.

Advertisement