Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Management Company help me?

Options
  • 22-04-2010 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I emailed my management company yesterday to advise of various issues. The main issue being the fact that last weekend a large brown tide mark that appears to be from a leak appeared on the master bedroom ceiling. I am on the ground floor so assume this is coming from an apartment above me.

Their response was ''The damp patch in the ceiling may be from the apartment above, I will find out which number this is and inform them of a possible leak.
    I would also advise that you call up to them to inform them''

Am I expecting too much to think that they would have the decency to get the foreman to come to my apartment to see the damage to my ceiling? Not being bad or anything but Im only concerned with my property not the apartment above me..

What am I paying them for?!

Thanks

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Denisejcc wrote: »
    a large brown tide mark that appears to be from a leak appeared on the master bedroom ceiling
    Get someone out to look at it. If you own the place, the last thing you want is the ceiling opening up under the pressure of a large puddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

You pay your Managing Agent (employed by your Management Company) to manage the common areas of the development. Where you have an internal issue it is your responsibility to get the matter investigated and the leak tracked back to the source. If it is from a unit above then this will be the responsibility of that owner to rectify, if it is a common area pipe then this will be the responsibility of the Management Company to rectify. Similarly if one of your own pipes is running over ceiling, which can be the case, then this will be for you to fix.
    All internal issues are your own responsibility until the source is confirmed. The Managing Agent should not expend monies looking into internal issues that they do not know are under their remit.
    Would you be happy if some of your service charges where being spent on investigations into a leak or any other internal issue that may not be under Mgt Co remit?
    You should be covered under block policy for repairs, bearing in mind any excess which applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Denisejcc wrote: »
    Am I expecting too much to think that they would have the decency to get the foreman to come to my apartment to see the damage to my ceiling? Not being bad or anything but Im only concerned with my property not the apartment above me..

What am I paying them for?!

Yes, you are expecting too much. You should talk to the unit above you. It's most likely a leak in their unit.

Not an issue for the management agent/management company to deal with.

It would also be up to you to have any damage repaired, and foot any costs, but of course, if the unit above cause the problem you can chase them for the cost, or you can try claiming against the block insurance, although the excess on block policies tends to be very high.

Ultimately, it's your issue to deal with.

Advertisement