Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant Cupcake

Options
  • 22-04-2010 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hiya! I want to make one of those giant cupcakes. I have the tin and it comes in two separate sections top & bottom. What would the quantities for this? and also i want a cake that tastes nice not just looks nice.
    Thanks. :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Here's one recipe not sure if it's the same as what's come with the tin but there's the recipe for the icing as well.
    http://www.hannahbanana.co.uk/2009/02/giant-cupcake-recipe/

On another site, someone said that you could just use an all in one sponge recipe and add things like lemon or chocolate. Perhaps just double the quantities just in case.

Nuther recipe here http://cookeatshare.fr/popular/giant-cupcake-recipe?nr=1

Been dying to get that giant cup cake tin, looks so cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i got one and it came with a bundt cake recipe... the cake is not as giant as you may think and one standard recipe should be enough to fill both halves..
    i iced mine with butter cream in true cupcake style but in doing that you loose a little of the swirly shape from the top..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 MsCupcake

Well i made the giant cupcake and it did rise a bit too much so i just cut the top off the base and put the top on. My bride was delighted with the suggestion as this as her top tier all iced up. I will post pictures once i can fine the cable. Thanks for all suggestions.

This is my Giant Cupcake. Did it for a Top Tier at a wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭lip

Hi,can I just ask where you got the tin?Really want to make 1 for DD1 2nd birthday.Have looked online but theyre very dear.It will probably be used once and then spend the rest of its days in the back of the press so don't want to spend much on it.Would only need the bottom part i think and put icing on top.Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

You should try TK Maxx, those cupcake tins generally are stupidly expensive though. I don't think you'll get the bottom part separately, and if you did that would be an awful lot of icing on top to get the shape.

Hi,thanks.i'm in kildare so don't know if I'd be able to get to TKMaxx beforehand.Yeah,you're probably right about the top.Its just that I seen a tin that looked just like the bottom of it in Lidl or somewhere months ago but of course I didn't buy it.I couldn't believe the price of them.Thanks again.

I got mine here

http://www.kitchenutensils.ie/product.asp?strParents=3&CAT_ID=34&P_ID=647

You will deff need the 2 halves you would not be able to ice the top otherwise. They are joined together anyway.

What about trying ebay or amazon? I actually saw one of these for $20 in Las Vegas a few weeks back, was going to buy it but couldn't see me getting the use out of it.

You could always do a DIY job on it, maybe buy a tin like the base, so just a deep fluted cake tin, and make another cake for the top, shape it a little bit into a sort of dome and cover it in icing? Icing covers nearly all dodgy bits :)

Hi,had a look on ebay,but they were all too dear.Be afraid i wouldn't get it on time if i ordered off amazon.I wouldn't be the most artistic person in the world,so i think it would end up looking awful:(Thanks for suggestion though.May have to just do an ordinary cake.

• Advertisement

I saw a silicone one on ebay for £12 last night...

Hi Spadina,thank you for letting me know that.I have just been on and found it.It wasn't there when I looked.I ordered it,ends up costing E18.49 so not too bad.Heres hoping it turns out ok,just need to look up recipes now:)Birthday is next wednesday so fingers crossed that firstly, it arrives on time,and secondly,the cake doesn't give the children food poisoning,I wouldn't exactly be known for my baking skills,lol.
    Thanks again.

Just in case anyone else is looking for these I got one in TK Maxx in Waterford yesterday for €9.99, so TK Maxx's in general are worth a shot.

Thats a very good price.Is it sylicone?My friend is looking for 1 after seeing mine.I have to say,I was very impressed with my cake,it turned out perfect.

No it's a proper tin, very good quality, they're just getting cheaper now because everyone has them already and TK Maxx is nearly always cheapest. I had to get it for that price, even if I only use it once or twice it won't be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

The Giant Cupcake Pan has molds for both the bottom and top of a giant cupcake. The directions are simple. Grease the pan. Pick a box of your favorite cake mix. Mix it up as usual, and split the batter into both molds. Then, it's into the oven.

Oh dear sweet Jesus no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭tscul32

Spadina wrote: »
    Oh dear sweet Jesus no.

agreed - if you want to buy a cake then buy a cake. If you want to bake a cake then bake a cake!

Got the 9.99 in tk maxx too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Unwilling

Might get into trouble for resurrecting this, but can not see any more recent discussions

I have this mould from JML since christmas and have not used it.
    I am the cupcake queen in our family for MINI cupcakes,,,,, not sure how to go about GIANT cupcakes

Can anyone send me some tried and tested receipes.... please and thank you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Spadina wrote: »
    Oh dear sweet Jesus no.

I am completely against cake mixes and being a lazy arse about baking, but my mum tried several times to make one of those big cupcakes and the mix just, I don't know! Turns out like muck. She decided to have a test run one day and threw in some devil's food cake mix and bam it came out perfect.

We have one of those silicone moulds. Wouldn't recommend it. And silicone cupcake trays are brutal. They come out really odd. I love soft fluffy sides and in the silicone mould everything's a bit hard around the edges. :/

• Advertisement

The reason these things never work very well is because by the time the widest bit is cooked the narrow bit is burnt, such a bad design for a tin.

I would really recommend making these out of chocolate biscuit cake where possible, can't get burnt!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

Unwilling wrote: »
    I have this mould from JML since christmas and have not used it.

Hey, is the JML mould the silicone one?? Ive made a giant cupcake with this using regular sponge cake recipe and it turned out great. The top will cook faster than the bottom so will have to be taken out before the bottom(if its the seperate silicone one), and just leave it cool before you remove it as i lost the point of mine when it stuck. but otherwise no problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

Unwilling wrote: »

I tried the recipe in the book 'Grandmas Sponge' or something like that. It was more of an 'old fashioned' sponge, if that makes sense - not light and fluffy - but more dense. OK I can't describe it, it was fine but not the nicest sponge I've ever had.

I then altered a Chocolate Fudge Cake recipe and it worked out very well - the sponge was much nicer than my first attempt!

Ingredients
    12oz Butter
    12oz Brown Sugar
    4 Tablespoons Cocoa
    4 Tablespoons Boiling Water
    6 Eggs
    12oz Self Raising Flour

Method:
    1. Cream Butter and Sugar
    2. Blend Cocoa Powder and Water, add to mixture
    3. Add Eggs and Flour

Icing
    6oz Butter
    3 Tablespoons Milk
    3 Tablespoons Cocoa
    24oz Icing Sugar

Method:
    Melt butter, blend milk and cocoa - add mixture and icing sugar to butter.

Cooking Times
    180ºF - Gas Mark 4 Middle Shelf – 25-35 Minutes (can't swear on the timing - the top cooks quicker, mine went over the 35 minutes - I just waited until the knife came out clean to decide it was done.)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ash_18x

datk wrote: »
    I tried the recipe in the book 'Grandmas Sponge' or something like that. It was more of an 'old fashioned' sponge, if that makes sense - not light and fluffy - but more dense. OK I can't describe it, it was fine but not the nicest sponge I've ever had.

I then altered a Chocolate Fudge Cake recipe and it worked out very well - the sponge was much nicer than my first attempt!

Ingredients
    12oz Butter
    12oz Brown Sugar
    4 Tablespoons Cocoa
    4 Tablespoons Boiling Water
    6 Eggs
    12oz Self Raising Flour

Method:
    1. Cream Butter and Sugar
    2. Blend Cocoa Powder and Water, add to mixture
    3. Add Eggs and Flour

Icing
    6oz Butter
    3 Tablespoons Milk
    3 Tablespoons Cocoa
    24oz Icing Sugar

Method:
    Melt butter, blend milk and cocoa - add mixture and icing sugar to butter.

Cooking Times
    180ºF - Gas Mark 4 Middle Shelf – 25-35 Minutes (can't swear on the timing - the top cooks quicker, mine went over the 35 minutes - I just waited until the knife came out clean to decide it was done.)

sorry for bringing up this old thread, but I was looking for a recipe for the giant cupcake! Tescos had the JML silicone moulds on sale last week for €2.25!!!!
    thanks for the recipe, I am going to give this one a whack as the grandmas one in the book wasn't nice at all!

Advertisement