Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Gold upgrade - what to get

Options
  • 22-04-2010 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

i have a Nokia N95 for the last 2 1/2 years but it is dying a slow death. i have a gold upgrade available to me but i am not sure what to get. was looking on the o2 web site and the options are pretty limited. was thinking of going for a iphone or N97 or a blackberry pearl but the is no sign of these when i look to upgrade on the net. is the blackberry pearl any good for surfing the net. will the memory card from my N95 fit into Blackberry Pearl . i know the N97 has had allot of critics on this site but might take a chance on it . will my memory card from my N95 work in an iphone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

If it is a smartphone you are looking for you might need to go to a shop to actually get one.
    • The Pearl is quite outdated right now so I would be advising that you take something different in the blackberry range like the 8520 or the 8900.
    • N97 is a love it or hate it phone, I don't have one myself but one of the lads on the team here does and he loves it.
    • The iPhone is the iPhone, what more can you say!
    • I would also consider the Sony X10 and the HTC Desire which we will be stocking in early May.

Use the handset comparison tool on GSM arena to help make your decision.

If you need prices let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If it is a smartphone you are looking for you might need to go to a shop to actually get one.
    • The Pearl is quite outdated right now so I would be advising that you take something different in the blackberry range like the 8520 or the 8900.
    • N97 is a love it or hate it phone, I don't have one myself but one of the lads on the team here does and he loves it.
    • The iPhone is the iPhone, what more can you say!
    • I would also consider the Sony X10 and the HTC Desire which we will be stocking in early May.

Use the handset comparison tool on GSM arena to help make your decision.

If you need prices let me know.
    Get a HTC Desire or iPhone. The N97 is a bit poor to be honest. If you want a Nokia, I believe O2 have the N900 on billpay which is an amazing phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭whocares86

was thinking of getting an N97 but i have been told it will cost €249 even with an upgrade and after just signing an 18 month contract. it will cost between 0-149 for new customer and over in meteor its €49 for a new customer

so after agreeing to an 18 month contract i still feel like i am being screwed

whocares86 wrote: »
    was thinking of getting an N97 but i have been told it will cost €249 even with an upgrade and after just signing an 18 month contract. it will cost between 0-149 for new customer and over in meteor its €49 for a new customer

so after agreeing to an 18 month contract i still feel like i am being screwed
    €249 for an N97 Mini for 18 Months?

One word... Don't

N900 is the only good Nokia phone atm.

N900 is €369 - i dont think so

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Do not TOUCH the N97. A brutal, brutal phone.

I dumped mine for an N900. Awesome device and well worth the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

E72 is another option.

He originally said in his post he wants a phone that is great for web browsing so an E72 wouldn't be too ideal as the screen is small and it's not a touchscreen.

The only viable options from O2 is to either wait for the HTC Desire. The iPhone 3Gs (Or if you can wait the iPhone HD) or there is always the Nokia N900 which is well worth it's price tag.

The best phone when it comes to rendering speed and functionality is the N900 at the moment but Android is not too far behind. The N900 has had full flash support for a long time and runs Fennec (Firefox Mobile) which is a great browser. The HTC Desire runs Chrome which isn't too far behind the N900 and will be getting full Flash support next month. The iPhone runs Safari and is only slightly slower than the Desire when it comes to rendering (Faster on some sites but by a negligible amount) but as we all know Safari will not have flash support of any kind.

Personally I would choose either a Nokia N900 or the HTC Desire, they are both amazing phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

coldfire1x wrote: »
    E72 is another option.

I recently wanted to get an E72 as an O2 upgrade and they told me the E72 is not part of their handset range and they will not be including it either.

Maybe Daryll can confirm this is correct.

Very disappointed I have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Maybe also consider the HD2, its a really good phone and will also be on a smartphone plan unlike the N900

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

The Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 is only 129€ with a gold upgrade, theres a good big screen for web browsing on it.
    And you get a 8GB MicroSD card included with the X10

Gekko wrote: »
    I recently wanted to get an E72 as an O2 upgrade and they told me the E72 is not part of their handset range and they will not be including it either.

Maybe Daryll can confirm this is correct.

Very disappointed I have to say.
    Sorry we don't have that handset

went into the carphoneware house today and a N97 mini is going to cost me €79. will go into o2 tonight and see what they can do for me. i know a few people here have had bad experiences with the N97 but i will take a chance on it

went into the carphoneware house today and a N97 mini is going to cost me €79. will go into o2 tonight and see what they can do for me. i know a few people here have had bad experiences with the N97 but i will take a chance on it
    It will be €79 in an O2 store as well.

Good luck with the N97. Some people loved it, maybe you will too!

Advertisement