Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

traceing family

Options
  • 22-04-2010 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

i am trying to trace any of my family members as i was placed in a orphanage in sligo early 50s my mother name was ruby Anne Mullen from collooney sligo married name was Doyle any info please great full
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

Have you tried the 1911 census ? Its free...There are a few mullens/anne mullens in there, 2 from Ballysadare west....good luck...

rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 mullen

as i move to califorina after 40 years in ireland it is not easy to get info but my family name was mullen not mullens. thank you for your advice any help is most wellcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I think cityman said anne mullens referring to them as plural because there was 2 ann mullen(s)

Good luck in finding them, I'm no help I'm afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I think cityman said anne mullens referring to them as plural because there was 2 ann mullen(s)

Good luck in finding them, I'm no help I'm afraid

Indeed Bobcar, I was referring to the plural of Mullen. The name Mullen was quite common in Sligo in the 1911 Census. However there are only 2 or 3 in Cooloney at that time.

Have a look at the Irish 1911 Census online.. its free and will give you a place to start.

As its a sensitive subject you might be best to contact the Sligo Genealogy Resource Centre and/or the local churches in Cooloney and the home in which you were placed (The Nazareth?)

Best wishes and good luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Hi OP do you know where or who your mother married? I have a grandmother who was Doyle from Collooney, my Dad has quite comprehensive family records I can ask him for more details if it helps.

• Advertisement

yes it was Nazareth house. thank you for your help. sometime due to no fault of your own the family still treat you as a outcast.

Indeed Bobcar, I was referring to the plural of Mullen. The name Mullen was quite common in Sligo in the 1911 Census. However there are only 2 or 3 in Cooloney at that time.

Have a look at the Irish 1911 Census online.. its free and will give you a place to start.

As its a sensitive subject you might be best to contact the Sligo Genealogy Resource Centre and/or the local churches in Cooloney and the home in which you were placed (The Nazareth?)

Best wishes and good luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

If you need to look at church records, go to the church, if possible. It's always better to look at the original Baptism Register, or the original on microfilm, rather than a computerised copy.

Plus, there is always the chance that something may have been written in the margin of the Baptism Register by the priest and I've noticed that Sligo Genealogy Centre don't always include these notes.

You can also try the Electoral Registers in Sligo County Library.

Good luck in your search. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

genie wrote: »
    If you need to look at church records, go to the church, if possible. It's always better to look at the original Baptism Register, or the original on microfilm, rather than a computerised copy.

Plus, there is always the chance that something may have been written in the margin of the Baptism Register by the priest and I've noticed that Sligo Genealogy Centre don't always include these notes.

You can also try the Electoral Registers in Sligo County Library.

Good luck in your search. :)

Might be quite difficult to call into the church as the OP is now living in California so online would definitely be the best chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Oops, sorry, missed that! :o

The OP could see if there is an LDS family history centre nearby and see if they can order in the relevant records on microfilm. :)

a friend got some info for me years ago he said my mother married a MR DOYLE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

these are common names, OP.

you will have to do the research yourself, people have already pointed you in some helpful directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Hi OP, this is the link to the 1911 census records. You might get some info from there.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Advertisement