Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acer computer problem

• 22-04-2010 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am currently using my mother desktop as my laptop is broken and in with the engineer.

Basically, my mothers computer is totally fecked-up. I don't know much about computers, but I'd say this thing could do with a complete clear-out/wipe-out and everything re-installed/re-programmed.

This is what the main page of Boards.ie looks like for me (using Internet Explorer):

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/

We can't download anythinge except photos. When I tried to download a new browser, I couldn't. i tried to download the 'Flock' browser, and here is how the screen looked on the official 'Flock' download page/website:

And when I tried to download 'Flock' using the 'Orbit Downloader' download manager (which I've never had problems with before, and I have been using it for 2-3 years).

There are two browsers on this computer, Internet Explorer and Netscape.

A) Because we can't download another browers
    B) Because Opera, Safari and Mozilla FireFox don't work on this computer, and haven't done so for about a year (maybe longer).

The only anti-virus that works is 'Avg'.

We have trouble viewing a lot of websites; a few of the websites we can't view are:

fas.ie
    welfare.ie
    bbc.co.uk
    CNN / Sky News / RTE

There are more, but I can't think of them right now.

Sometimes we can view those websites and other times we can't.

When the CNN / Sky News / fas.ie websites loads the page goes blank and we can view those websites anymore, until the next day, it's like they are on a timer. The pc has to be turned off for a number of hours before this happens.

I sometimes have problems getting onto Facebook.com and logging into Yahoo! Mail.
    With Yahoo! Mail, I can sign-in, but cannot view my inbox, outbox, etc as it won't let me. With Facebook, sometimes the page takes agoes to load and when it does load, it is very slow.

Sometimes when viewing some websites, pictures come up very small (thumbnail sizes and sometime smaller) and it is rare the larger/medium size (not HQ size) pictures pictures come up, and if they do come up, it's just blank.

We can watch DVD's or listen to CD's as they won't play. We can hear the disk spinning in the drive, but it doesn't do anything. Even when we put other disks (with software on them) into the drive, we hear them spinning, but they don't do anything.

There is also a problem with the screen, every so often a black screen with a box/square in the middle comes up and it says 'auto adjustment in progress'.

The message comes up once, then conture to appear every few seconds for about 30mins, and then it goes away and comes back again a while later.

The computer is out-of-warranty. It is four years old (was bought in May 2006).

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Can anyone help please?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

1. F8 on boot, run safe mode with networking
    2. Update AVG, run a full scan
    3. Download MalwareBytes, install, run a full scan
    4. Download Firefox, install
    4. Download CCleaner, install, clean disk, temp and registry
    5. Reboot in normal mode
    6. Good luck

1. F8 on boot, run safe mode with networking
    2. Update AVG, run a full scan
    3. Download MalwareBytes, install, run a full scan
    4. Download Firefox, install
    4. Download CCleaner, install, clean disk, temp and registry
    5. Reboot in normal mode
    6. Good luck
    Thank you.

But how to I do 'F8 on boot, run safe mode with networking'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

boot it and press F8 before the windows is starting progress bar thing

Thank you both, the computer is working properly now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement