Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NFL Draft 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Davy, Troy Smith will tell you how dominating the College game can translate into the big leagues when every player is elite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Davy, Troy Smith will tell you how dominating the College game can translate into the big leagues when every player is elite.

I'm well aware of that - it's all we've been hearing for the last two years, whenever Tebow's name was mentioned. He was still the best player in College football by a stretch the last few years - that's worth more than he's given credit for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Hazys wrote: »
    We have Bodden Butler Springs Whitle Weathley didnt think we needed a CD...DL, TE, LB are our biggest needs why a CB?

Sergio Kindle anyone? What the hell is Belichick playing at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,032 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Devin McCourty...who d fcuk!!!
    Yeah that came out of left field as usual with BB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

No. 25: Broncos select: Tim Tebow, QB, Florida Grade F
    Analysis: By far and away the worst pick in this draft. Wow. How can you justify trading away Cutler and picking this kid. He's a fifth-round pick -- at best. Now we know why Josh McDaniels will last one more year in Denver. Horrible. Just horrible.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13264107?tag=coverlist;coverlist_footer

:D

IMO trading away Culter was a mistake. Give him a line (the Bears line is one of the worst I've ever seen) and he'll far exceed Tebow. Just my opinion.

Tebow is a reach for the 1st round. 90% seemed to like him to be on their roster but everyone thought he was a reach. But if everybody likes him so much, someones gonna bite earlier eventually. Glad it wasn't the Bills. Spiller is some player.

• Advertisement

Pats crying out for a LB for 2 seasons, and the DL is getting shakier by the game.

I'm not BB, but I don't think this was a great move.

davyjose wrote: »
    I'm well aware of that - it's all we've been hearing for the last two years, whenever Tebow's name was mentioned. He was still the best player in College football by a stretch the last few years - that's worth more than he's given credit for.

There's a reason tho, his mechanics are awful. He won't be able to clear the D-line throwing like he does. No real spiral, not great at reading coverage...

Great college player, Great leader and a complete warrior but that won't be enough in the NFL. They gave up a lot to get him too... I thought the Broncos were doing great in this draft but I think this pick is awful...

Still it could be worse, they could be the Jags. (although if I was Jacksonville i'd be trading for Clausen now...)

Pats crying out for a LB for 2 seasons, and the DL is getting shakier by the game.

I'm not BB, but I don't think this was a great move.
    Well if the guy turns out to be a shutdown corner he was worth it. Bodden is a decent no.2, its a question of whether Butler can be any better than Bodden. It was a need but I personally though not as big as that. Still Jerry Hughes and Sergio Kindle are still on the board and lots more very good OLB prospects so I'm not concerned.

I can see us doing a player trade now though, I expect to see Wilhite going.

He must really like him to draft him above Wilson.

There's a reason tho, his mechanics are awful. He won't be able to clear the D-line throwing like he does. No real spiral, not great at reading coverage...
    McDaniel doesn't agree. we'll leave it at that. There's a lot of screaming and shouting about Tebow though, which for my money is reactionary and sensationalist.

The guy has done it all at a college levl. You can go into mechanics etc, etc, but ultimately his college credentials put him in the picture. i think that's fair. The Rams went for an unproven QB at this level, with a trick shoulder, who hasn't had any experience with an NFL style Offense, and this is being lauded... there's a lot of BS going around about Tebow, and I'm not buying it.

There's a reason tho, his mechanics are awful.
    I'm sorry, but what the fck do you know about his mechanics right now. He showed excellent footwork at his pro day, he showed a new throw there too, he has been with many teams since then and its quite possible that he has improved even more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well if the guy turns out to be a shutdown corner he was worth it. Bodden is a decent no.2, its a question of whether Butler can be any better than Bodden. It was a need but I personally though not as big as that. Still Jerry Hughes and Sergio Kindle are still on the board and lots more very good OLB prospects so I'm not concerned.

I can see us doing a player trade now though, I expect to see Wilhite going.

He must really like him to draft him above Wilson.

I couldnt see us getting a 7th for Wilhite

I couldnt see us getting a 7th for Wilhite
    Sorry I meant Wheatley.

Sorry I meant Wheatley.

Same for Wheatley, Whitle appears to have more potential

I'm sorry, but what the fck do you know about his mechanics right now. He showed excellent footwork at his pro day, he showed a new throw there too, he has been with many teams since then and its quite possible that he has improved even more.

I know what i've seen of his mechanics in College. If you think someone can change it all in 4 months fair play but you're living in dream land. Tbh it's no shock to me that Pats fans are defending the pick... :rolleyes:

Fcuking hell, we let a proven DE in Raheem Brock go, so we can draft a kid out of college. there's talk of him playing Linebacker - but there were plenty of actual LB's left. I can't get my head around the Colts pick.

Not happy.

I know what i've seen of his mechanics in College. If you think someone can change it all in 4 months fair play but you're living in dream land. Tbh it's no shock to me that Pats fans are defending the pick... :rolleyes:
    It has nothing to do with the Patriots. Thats a ridiculous comment.

I guarantee you he makes it big in the NFL. I have been reading so much about what scouts look for in drafts and people keep talking about combine numbers, pro day numbers but the biggest thing they look for is production and you cannot fault Tebow in that category. All his intangibles are being underestimated too, he is a born winner, leader, hard worker, he almost always finds a way to get it done. You can't put that in somebody they either have it or don't have it.

It has nothing to do with the Patriots. Thats a ridiculous comment.

I guarantee you he makes it big in the NFL. I have been reading so much about what scouts look for in drafts and people keep talking about combine numbers, pro day numbers but the biggest thing they look for is production and you cannot fault Tebow in that category. All his intangibles are being underestimated too, he is a born winner, leader, hard worker, he almost always finds a way to get it done. You can't put that in somebody they either have it or don't have it.

Josh McDaniels has nothing to do with the Pats??? Really?? Every one everywhere is talking about how bad a pick it is.

The list of college "winners" who haven't made it in the NFL is pretty long. Tebow = a bigger Troy Smith. I.e. not an NFL player.

Josh McDaniels has nothing to do with the Pats??? Really?? Every one everywhere is talking about how bad a pick it is.

The list of college "winners" who haven't made it in the NFL is pretty long. Tebow = a bigger Troy Smith. I.e. not an NFL player.
    No everybody everywhere is not talking about how bad a pick it is.

Tebow has split people. There are those who believe he won't be able to change his throw.
    Then there are those who just hate Tebow for being a winner, popular, clean cut, religious dude or something else and they will shout from the rooftops that its a bad pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Good to see the Draft thread turn into a Tim Tebow thread. ridiculous drafting by McDaniels wasting that many picks to trade up. He has to hope now his gamble pays off. The Dilema is now do you stick with Orton and allow Tebow to grow or do you feed him to the Sharks and hope he swims his way out. Letting Tebow grow would be the better option but my guessing is the Broncos will throw him right in and in the long term it will wreck Tim Tebow as a QB. As for him being a hit or bust only time will tell.

Now lets change the record already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

As for the Pats pick. :rolleyes: I hope to good fook this kid turns out to be a baller or once again we failed come draft time. Fook sake lets hope the 2nd round is better. Right now that defense is no better off than it was before the draft and we still have a TE and WR to muster up from somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Tebow pick was an odd one alright but it seems to be getting way blown out of proportion everyone.I cannot understand the hatred for this kid.
    Watching the Espn coverage and Gruden who i believe knows a thing or two about QB's says he will make it,im guessing he is a better judge than most internet warriors out there.
    Young coach,young qb and young reciever.I guess a lot of what we will say about McDaniels is in this years draft.
    Any chance we have Tebow work on his throwing while Orton plays mostly this coming season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

raven136 wrote: »
    Tebow pick was an odd one alright but it seems to be getting way blown out of proportion everyone.I cannot understand the hatred for this kid.
    Watching the Espn coverage and Gruden who i believe knows a thing or two about QB's says he will make it,im guessing he is a better judge than most internet warriors out there.
    Young coach,young qb and young reciever.I guess a lot of what we will say about McDaniels is in this years draft.
    Any chance we have Tebow work on his throwing while Orton plays mostly this coming season.

Take a look at his drafting record, not exactly stellar. I doubt any broncos fan is happy with the pick, especially taking him before Clausen. It wouldn't be such a bad pick if Denver didn't have other holes to fill and could afford to reach in the first round but they can't. As a Raider fan I'm delighted though!

Crazy Al strikes again:pac:

How?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Originally Posted by eagle eye viewpost.gif
    Crazy Al strikes againpacman.gif
    How?
    +1 to Chucky's comment. Admittedly I havent seen much of mcclain before the draft but by all accounts this seems to be a pick based on ability rather than ht/wt/speed. An upgrade in our rush defense and that has to be praised as addressing a need

On another note, Clausen to Vikes anyone? Sit him for a year (assuming Favre plays).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

There is obviously something we don't no about Clausen. Something in his personality evaluation/interview or his medical.

He's dropped for a reason, a big reason.

As for tebow, I love the pick, I love the guy and I know he'll do imense in the NFL.

I'm glad the Titans got DE, it's just a pity it wasn't Pierre Paul.

I think the Pats did right in staying away from Bryant.

I liked how the 49'ers got two great O-Linemen. Apparently the reason they moved up was because they got word other teams were trying to move up for him. If you like a player take out the uncertainties and just go for him. So I like what the 49'ers did.

I was stunned at Alualu going at 10. I do rate him but think they could have traded wayyyyyy down if they think he's the guy they want.

Bills Taking Spiller was a weird one for me too. I suppose we could look back to hte viks taking peterson a few years ago. Eventhough they have good players their, Spiller could be a great.

I also liked the lions pick of Best. It's gonna be interesting to see how they do next year!.

Seahawks had a great first round! How Okung fell to them I'll never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

how good is the wilson kid that the Jets drafted?His stats look good.Great corners at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Bull**** jaguars draft DT Tyson Alualu....i cant even say anything more on the topic...im actually disgusted! they could easily have gotten him later in the round yet they waste a #10 pick on him!!! GRRRRRRR :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

i don't know what to make of Giants pick of JPP at 15. Yeah he looks a freakish athlete but he is inexperienced. We now have 4 DEs for 2 starting spots and an unhappy Osi. I expect JPP not be a starter so we will be paying 1sr round money for a back up. I really hope Reese has something up his sleeve with regard to LB and O Line.

Patriots pick aroung 9:30pm EST so 2:30am Irish time

I'd be a v happy Pats fan if:

22nd pick: Traded for 1st in 2011 and 2010 3rd
    44th pick: LB
    47th pick: TE
    53rd pick: DL (3 2nd rounders in no particular order)
    3rd round pick: WR
    119th pick: LB
    From the 7 6th & 7th round picks: P, RB, DL, LB, TE, WR & whatever your having yourself Bill...

What i like about the Pats pick was that Bill was willing to take McCourty at 22 but traded down 7 spots and picked up a 3rd (kinda filled my above criteria). So we are still on to pick a LB, DL and TE in the 2nd and a WR in the 3rd.

But i cant get over a CB/ST player in the first round. I wanted Odrick...he looked like Richard Seymour's younger brother!! How McCourty (which is the worst football name in the world) will help our defense next season or the season after is beyond me. I know special teams is important but 1st round pick important? I thought our secondary was above average last season and the only reason they were not better was because they had zero pass rush to help them...i still have nigthmares of Sanchez sitting in the pocket for wat seemed like hours before the 2ndry finally broke down then making an easy pass.

Ideal situation for today, would be trading our top 2nd round pick for Haynesworth (imagine Warren, Wilfork & Haynesworth as a front 3!!! if i was an OC i'd just punt everytime id see those 3 line up) I know hes unlikely to go to a 3-4 team but maybe the lure of the Pats might change that :o Then a TE and LB with the other 2 2nds and maybe another LB or WR with the 3rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

There is simply no way he'll go to a 3-4 team. Thats the only reason he's unhappy at teh redskins!

There is simply no way he'll go to a 3-4 team. Thats the only reason he's unhappy at teh redskins!

Sorry Im still ranting over the name McCourty...gimme a guy with a real football name like Taylor, Williams, Johnson or a pacific islander name that wouldn't look out of place on the All-Blacks team...but McCourty! The name McCourty should be on a McDonalds Dollar Menu, not on a Patriots' roster!!!

:o Poor guy...i wont even give him a chance due to his name...

What i like about the Pats pick was that Bill was willing to take McCourty at 22 but traded down 7 spots and picked up a 3rd (kinda filled my above criteria). So we are still on to pick a LB, DL and TE in the 2nd and a WR in the 3rd.

But i cant get over a CB/ST player in the first round. I wanted Odrick...he looked like Richard Seymour's younger brother!! How McCourty (which is the worst football name in the world) will help our defense next season or the season after is beyond me. I know special teams is important but 1st round pick important? I thought our secondary was above average last season and the only reason they were not better was because they had zero pass rush to help them...i still have nigthmares of Sanchez sitting in the pocket for wat seemed like hours before the 2ndry finally broke down then making an easy pass.

Ideal situation for today, would be trading our top 2nd round pick for Haynesworth (imagine Warren, Wilfork & Haynesworth as a front 3!!! if i was an OC i'd just punt everytime id see those 3 line up) I know hes unlikely to go to a 3-4 team but maybe the lure of the Pats might change that :o Then a TE and LB with the other 2 2nds and maybe another LB or WR with the 3rd.
    I didn't expect it but could understand it after discussing it with a mate(Pats fan too). We've got Marshall and Holmes in the division now so we have to be in good shape with our corners. Bodden is decent, Butler hopefully improves this year but when we use nickel and dime packages we are in a bit of bother. Springs ain't that great, Wilhite didn't really improve last season, Wheatley has been a major dissapointment. I had a look at a lot of the draft power rankings and McCourty was ranked between 17 and 35 with the norm being 27-30 so we got him in the right place and picked up a 3rd round pick.
    I don't see us drafting a wide receiver and I'd love to see it happen, Golden Tate is my main binkie in this draft and I think he is huge value now.

I think Belichick knew that our D was too old and has had a long-term plan to sort it out. He brought in Merriweather in 2007 with our only big pick.
    He spent four of our first five picks in 2008 on the D bringing in Mayo, Wheatley, Crable and Wilhite and four of our first six picks last year on Chung, Brace, Butler and McKenzie. I fully expect that to continue tomorrow with maybe a tight end taken in the third.

I just found out too that Jerry Hughes is represented by CAA which means he won't be a Patriot unless he changes like Ben Watson did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I missed last nights' draft so if anyone can put up or PM me a link to tonights' events, that'd be awesome. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

if anyone has a stream for day 2 could they PM it to me please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

espn stream here

http://www.atdhe.net/17920/watch-2010-nfl-draft

working ok at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

First pick of the night.......

Rodger Saffold, OT.

if anyone has a stream for day 2 could they PM it to me please.
    You don't accept pms.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    First pick of the night.......

Rodger Saffold, OT.
    Raiders projected first round pick still on the board.

Vikings take DB Chris Cook, Virginia.

Numbero two: Chris Cook, CB from Virginia to the Vikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

With the Viking not taking Clausen who ends up taking him? The Browns are an option but will they take another Domer? If I'm the Raiders I'd think seriously about him and let the Russel era die. Whoever gets Clausen now will have to pay him fcuk all and he has the potential to be solid if given the right support. Outside of that the Bills, Panthers or maybe the Niners are his only other likely destinations so we might see some trading taking place soon

I don't know what the Vikes long-term prospects for QB are tbh. I know little about cook, but he seems a bit average going by my brief internet searching.

Bucs take Brian Price, DT.

Fantastic move by the Bucs. Price played end at UCLA and teamed with McCoy at DT they have solidified their line very well with these two picks

Another DT for the Bucs, really setting building blocks there.

Whats the chance of the Chiefs taking Golden Tate? Cassel needs someone to throw to and Weis loved him at ND

frostie500 wrote: »
    With the Viking not taking Clausen who ends up taking him? The Browns are an option but will they take another Domer? If I'm the Raiders I'd think seriously about him and let the Russel era die. Whoever gets Clausen now will have to pay him fcuk all and he has the potential to be solid if given the right support. Outside of that the Bills, Panthers or maybe the Niners are his only other likely destinations so we might see some trading taking place soon

It must be tough for Clausen - expecting a nice paycheck and seeing it disappear. It could be good for him in the long run. Having to earn it could be a factor in character development for him.

Chiefs take a RB, Dexter McCluster.

It must be tough for Clausen - expecting a nice paycheck and seeing it disappear. It could be good for him in the long run. Having to earn it could be a factor in character development for him.

I've said the whole way through the draft process that I didnt rate him as highly as others seemed to but I saw no way that he would fall this low. Whatever team takes him will get a good, with the potential to be very good, player for very little outlay. as you say it could be good long term for him as it takes the pressure off

Chiefs add Dexter McCluster, RB.

• Advertisement
Advertisement