Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research Topic Titles

Options
  • 22-04-2010 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Basically doing Truman and the bombing of Japan (Hiroshima and Nagasaki).

Just need a title. Bit stuck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

YungJoshy wrote: »
    Basically doing Truman and the bombing of Japan (Hiroshima and Nagasaki).

Just need a title. Bit stuck.
    The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki by Harry Truman and the United states (insert date here). Just keep it simple:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Write your essay first, then give it a title.
    The one above is perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭YungJoshy

MavisDavis wrote: »
    Write your essay first, then give it a title.
    The one above is perfectly fine.

Thanks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

I prefer a sexier crime novel approach, something along the lines of:

"Nuclear Genocide: The Bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki"

zam wrote: »
    I prefer a sexier crime novel approach, something along the lines of:

"Nuclear Genocide: The Bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki"

Oh thats nice. Mind if I use that?

• Advertisement

Oh please do! :D

Oh please do! :D

haha thanks man. Huge help.

You might be able to help me, can you use a website as a source? and does it have to be a certain site.?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

haha thanks man. Huge help.

You might be able to help me, can you use a website as a source? and does it have to be a certain site.?
    As far as I know, it is acceptable to use a website as a source, but be careful with this: anyone can put anything on the web, basically, so think about how good the site(s) you intend to use are, who has put them up, are they reliable, is there an agenda / bias, etc. Some of this will be valuable for your "evaluation of sources" section as well.

Do NOT rely entirely on the internet, use at least a couple of published books / articles by historians. There is no scarcity of such material for this topic, your school or local library should have what you need.

As far as I know, it is acceptable to use a website as a source, but be careful with this: anyone can put anything on the web, basically, so think about how good the site(s) you intend to use are, who has put them up, are they reliable, is there an agenda / bias, etc. Some of this will be valuable for your "evaluation of sources" section as well.

Do NOT rely entirely on the internet, use at least a couple of published books / articles by historians. There is no scarcity of such material for this topic, your school or local library should have what you need.

Understood. How about newspaper articles? Currently using one from the Irish Times but it says this below it:

The User may not copy, reproduce, distribute, or create derivative works
    from the Content without expressly being authorised to do so by the
    relevant copyright owner. © Copyright 2010 The Irish Times. All Rights
    Reserved.

Also I can't seem to access any more newspapers on the irish times website bar the one I chose first.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

dont use wikipedia as a source

• Advertisement

eoins23456 wrote: »
    dont use wikipedia as a source

yup, took that into account already thanks again.

Understood. How about newspaper articles? Currently using one from the Irish Times but it says this below it:

Reserved.

Also I can't seem to access any more newspapers on the irish times website bar the one I chose first.
    Don't mind that:rolleyes:

Reserved.
    Properly cited quotes or references to an article or book don't constitute a "derivative work".

And in any case it's not a Leaving Cert student doing a history research topic that they're worried about: you're not publishing it, you're not making money out of it, etc. :)

In general, newspaper articles are fine, especially a solid newspaper like the Irish Times.

The Sun going "ZOMG!! They bombed Heroshama!!" ... not so much! :D

(Yes, the misspelling was deliberate.)

Thanks guys, really appreciate this.

One more thing and I'll leave you all in peace, is there any chance I could use somebodys Irish Times account just to look at one more paper? Cant seem to access it without an account?

You can use a website. I did.

You can use a website. I did.

http://www.cfo.doe.gov/me70/manhattan/nagasaki.htm

you think thats a good site as a source?

Thanks guys, really appreciate this.

One more thing and I'll leave you all in peace, is there any chance I could use somebodys Irish Times account just to look at one more paper? Cant seem to access it without an account?
    Use the New York times; looks very nice:)

theowen wrote: »
    Use the New York times; looks very nice:)

Ok thank you and good night. :D

Don't have one, I'm afraid.

I like to be able to rattle my newspapers when they annoy me! :D
    http://www.cfo.doe.gov/me70/manhattan/nagasaki.htm

you think thats a good site as a source?
    It's fine, I'd say. But don't rely entirely on it ... being seen to have consulted / referenced a number of sources, especially published historical studies, will be to your credit. Within reason ofc ... it's not a Masters you're doing! :D

Don't have one, I'm afraid.

I like to be able to rattle my newspapers when they annoy me! :D

It's fine, I'd say. But don't rely entirely on it ... being seen to have consulted / referenced a number of sources, especially published historical studies, will be to your credit. Within reason ofc ... it's not a Masters you're doing! :D

Thanks once again :D

• Advertisement

Got another Q guys sorry.

Is it wrong to use a website that may have some biased comments in it? There is only one biased comment in the article that I'm using but it does give alot of theorys from revisionists.

Thanks.

Got another Q guys sorry.

Is it wrong to use a website that may have some biased comments in it? There is only one biased comment in the article that I'm using but it does give alot of theorys from revisionists.

Thanks.
    You can use it yeah. Make sure to mention it in your evaluation. Say something like-because the source was biased in places, I was forced to continually check the information with my other sources.

Is this the US DOE website above?

What is the biased comment?

In general, one comment which appears biased on an otherwise solid website (e.g. an American govt. website in that case) would be something which you might draw attention to, I'd say, rather than invalidating the use of the site.

A website set up by a private individual or group simply to argue for / justify the use of the bomb (for example) would be something to steer well clear of, on the other hand ... or else you could choose to analyse the content / compare and contrast with more reputable sources ... basically deconstruct it.

I don't think they really expect you to do much of that for LC, though. Still, pointing out that you are aware of bias and can spot it is bound to get you an approving nod and a mark or two!

Here's the website,

http://www.essortment.com/all/presidenttruman_rywp.htm

It seems like a good website with information on a range of things. Here's the comment which is biased in my view:

" Truman’s motives, therefore, cannot be called into question in light of the results of his decision. At least in this case, the end justifies the means."

Advertisement