Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity bill to my address but with wrong MPRN number??

Options
  • 22-04-2010 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, i moved into rented accomodation on 01st Feb 2010 and my electricity bill from ESB has a billing period from that date. Today my landlord sent me a Bord Gais electricity bill for nearly 500eu for the same period even though we never had our electricity through Bord Gais. When i rang ESB i gave them the MPRN number on the Board Gais bill and while they wouldnt give me the address that MPRN number relates to, they said it was not my address. The weird thing is though, the Board Gais bill has the ''supply address'' as my address even though EBS confirmed the MPRN does not relate to my address. The landlord is insisting that we owe this money (the bill correspondence address is to his home). Does anyone know what we can do?? Again, we have never had electricty through Bord Gais (we had it from our moving in date through EBS) and EBS have confirmed the MPRN on the Board Gais bill is assigned to a different property. Help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Charcd wrote: »
    the bill correspondence address is to his home
    Sounds like he wants you to pay his bills?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Charcd

Thats what i was thinking! The letting agent had said he owns a number of properties so i wonder is he trying to stick me with a bill one of his other tenants left him with..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Do you have gas heating?

It could be that but it sounds like your landlord is pulling a fast one. Ask him to show you where in your property is this meter attached to the mprn number. If he cant explain it then flat out refuse to pay it.

Yes we have our Gas through Bord Gais and that bill has been paid (its assigned to this property and is in our names). Looking at the Bord Gais bill that the landlord sent us with the wrong MPRN number, i noticed the correspondence address is an apartment in another part of Dublin. So i presume because its an apartment that its not his home address but that its another property he rents. The only thing i dont understand is how the dodgy bill has a different properties MPRN number (and a different correspondence address) but it says that the ''supply adress'' is this property. Could he have given our address to Bord Gais as the address to one of his other properties? Namely this other apartment? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

So you have a Bord Gais bill and an ESB bill yourselves with the right mprn number on them and your landlord is giving you another bill with a wrong mprn number on it?

Cant understand how your landlord is expecting you to pay a third bill. I'd ring Bord Gais and have your bill and this extra bill in front of you, give them all the details and see what they have to say about it.

If that doesnt sort it I'd contact Threshold for advice.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Yes we have our ESB bill which has been paid (and EBS confirmed the MPRN number on that bill is def the one assigned to our address) and we have our Bord Gais bill (for our gas heating) which we have paid. And this other bill he has now sent us is another bill for electricity for the same period with an MPRN that EBS confirmed was NOT related to our address even though it says on the bill the 'supply address' is to here. I will try Bord Gais tomorrow and then try Threshold. I havent heard of them before. Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

www.threshold.ie

Are you certain that you are looking at the correct meter?

For clarity, its perfectly common for the billing address to be different to the supply address, the problem is when the MPRN doesn't match.

Ok i got onto Bord Gais today and they told me the MPRN number was actually a different address and that they would directly contact the landlord by telephone to let him know. So hopefully he will back off now and accept that the bill is not ours!!

Advertisement