Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Orwell DMS 22/04/10

• 22-04-2010 8:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

Just heard niceonetom won the semi-limit race and dirkvoodoo was 4th in limit.

Well done!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

I would just like to say, gratz Tom/Dirk, and haha Tom off to semi scratch with you no doubt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

haha Tom off to semi scratch with you no doubt!
    ????? what a good place to be.

great finish by tom he really got up through the field well and obviously finished the job in style ..

barrabus wrote: »
    ????? what a good place to be.

He wasn't looking forward to being kicked up so fast :) He'll have to compete with Blorg and aidan.offbeat now, stiffer competition! (presuming this gets him upgraded, which i imagine it will)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Levitronix also won the limit race. Well done to him, Tom and Dirk on their results tonight.

well done Levitronix!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Great win by Tom achieved in some style. I couldn't see him not promoted to semi-scratch; he will be well up for it. Remember he was also second in the semi-limit TT last week.

Phenomenal showing by Orwell in limit/semi-limit with eleven out of the twelve placings.

Well done to Levitronix (welcome to semi-limit :) and Dirk (you are in danger yourself!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Well done Tom (again). You are made for racing.

Dirk, well done. Good man. Bit of luck and confidence is sometimes all that is needed. Keep it up. You are way to stylish to be hanging out the back in races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

The limit looked like dirks race he ripped everyone apart on the drag just before the finish, if it had of finished there he would of got it, i was lucky to grab montacs wheel going up it, if he hadnt of dragged me up it i wouldnt of had a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭montac

Dirk, you did some serious damage when you got on the front at the end there! Well done on the win, Levitronix!

I didn't expect that race to be quite as fast as it was. I thought it would be a bit more cagey. Instead, we had a guy in blue, who just wouldn't stop attacking! Relax already!!

Great result in Semi Limit Tom! Well Done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

That was good fun. Just ran out of steam at the end. I got into a good position with about 2.5k to go, on the two Patrick's wheels, but suddenly found myself on the second wheel with a gap behind me. So we put the foot down. Unfortunately the finish was further than I had hoped and Tom and a few others caught us about 50m short of the brow of the hill. Finish was 400m (I think) after that. One of these days I'll do it right! Did 370W for the last 3.5minutes

EDIT Well done to Tom, Dirk, Levitronix and all the Orwell guys. Good results!

111723.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Well done to everyone taking part. Tom, blood tests will have to be carried out if this stellar rise continues!

I'll post a full report in my clog (need the hits to close the gap on ROK ON :)), but that was a good old romp. Definitely a lot messier than any of the open races I have witnessed, but I don't think the road surface/joggers/dog walkers/massive truck helped. Montac and Levitronix ended up, along with Caroline, doing most of the work on the front with everyone (except crazy blue man) happy to sit in until the drag.

Really enjoyed that, not enjoying the fact someone switched off the sky box while I was out and the liverpool match didn't record!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

montac wrote: »
    I didn't expect that race to be quite as fast as it was. I thought it would be a bit more cagey.

Alot of the semi scratch riders missed the start so jumped into the semi limit group, and were setting high pace, maybe thats why it was less cagey and more faster than normal

Will need to get you a bullseye jersey Tom, think you ll be a marked man , well done

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭montac

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    not enjoying the fact someone switched off the sky box while I was out and the liverpool match didn't record!!!

just watched the 2nd half. You didn't miss much! Yawn...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Well Done niceonetom and Levitronix for your respective wins. It was an easy enough race up in the limit group until Levitronix attacked. Good job also to Dirkvoodoo who did some nice work at the front but I would to take some merit for being his directeur sportif during this race that got him a 4th place :P

I had a hairy start, a bird pooped on my bike and my chain broke before the start, but tom saved the day and found a quicklink lying in his bag and fixed my chain :) ( hero )

I am enjoying the racing really. It's my 1st year doing all the races and it's addictive no matter the result. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

Well done to everyone, especially those who picked up points, the two guys in the limit group I congratulated I now realise were DirkVoodoo and Levitronix. It was my first race, not counting last weeks tt, and my tactics were definitely off! Misjudging the distance from the bridge to the finish, I went for it then, stayed away for a while but was swallowed and spit out by the time the hill came around, very much a newbies rush of bood type of thing! Great fun, though, will definitely be back next week.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

D'oh:
    Complaints have been received against the Usher IRC from the garden centre in Batterstown where the League Races start from.

The complaints were made in relation to acts of public indecency on the premises of the garden centre which has now upset and caused offence for the owners.
    The Irish Road Club is a sponsored club and as such looks appawling for the complaints to be made directly to the sponsor.

All riders be warned: The Garden Centre in Batterstown is out of bounds. The League Committee will shortly update what will happen in relation to the garden centre.

If other riders want to disgrace their club/sponsors name by carrying out such acts in the public eye, so be it. It will not be tolerated by the Usher Irish Road Club!!!

I also wanted to say thanks to the UCD guy who tried to drag me up that final hill after the limit group split up for the finish :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Well done all.

Not much to report from me.

The race was shorter than I expected, very quick. Sat at the back for the first lap, moved up after the bridge on lap 2 then got boxed in towards the finish and couldn't be bothered to fight my way out.

I think next time I'll just go early and hammer it out. It may be ultimately fruitless but it's a hell of a lot less frustrating than getting boxed in and just cruising home.

Sorry about all the moaning before the race, need to vent. Thanks El Tonto for the energy bar and DirkVoodoo for donating your bottle.

Need to sort out my logistics, cycling out to races with a heavy backpack is a pain (literally). If anyone fancies a Friday challenge, try and program "Brittas" as a destination into your Garmin 705 in under 15 minutes. I don't think it is possible.

Marshalling next week, so I don't expect to race alongside Tom in the league any time soon. :)

Right hamstring is buggered so a weekend off for me...

Lumen wrote: »
    Sorry about all the moaning before the race, need to vent.

Please, don't apologise. Pre-race comic relief helps to settle the nerves. I just wish I had recorded it.

• Advertisement

Please, don't apologise. Pre-race comic relief helps to settle the nerves. I just wish I had recorded it.

Yes I agree, it was very funny :) we were laughing about it again after getting home.

Yes I agree, it was very funny :) we were laughing about it again after getting home.

I think the accent makes it funnier, much like when Astramonti similarly yelled "f**k the Garmin!" it was the way he said it.

Well done to everyone, especially those who picked up points, the two guys in the limit group I congratulated I now realise were DirkVoodoo and Levitronix. It was my first race, not counting last weeks tt, and my tactics were definitely off! Misjudging the distance from the bridge to the finish, I went for it then, stayed away for a while but was swallowed and spit out by the time the hill came around, very much a newbies rush of bood type of thing! Great fun, though, will definitely be back next week.

David were you the guy in blue who kept doing suicides off the front on the last lap ?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭garminguy

these league races sound like pain and fun at the same time, you lucky jackeens!
    well done to everyone this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

levitronix wrote: »
    David were you the guy in blue who kept doing suicides off the front on the last lap ?

No, I was the guy in the Orwell kit (not that that really helps, given the amount of us!)who went for the break at the bridge on the second lap. Black and red Trek, if that helps?

Updated league table now available.

el tonto wrote: »
    Updated league table now available.

I am joint 2nd ... for now

I am joint 2nd ... for now

confident you'll be up in 1st soon eh? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

+1
    It was the only reason I used to cycle with the guy when in Dublin. Nothing like some comic relief to help one forget about ones own suffering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

el tonto wrote: »

From the irc site:
    Next weeks race is in Black Bull. The sign on will take place back at the Black Bull slip road.
    A bit more discretion needed with toilet requirements in front of the public before we lose this sign on location also.

I see some people have been moved around. Sorry to see Levitronix go, I think we could have formed a Bennati/Pozzato partnership in limit.

Just need to stay there a few more weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I see some people have been moved around. Sorry to see Levitronix go, I think we could have formed a Bennati/Pozzato partnership in limit.

Where did you get that info?

Lumen wrote: »
    Where did you get that info?

Orwell forum:
    Lots of movement this week.

Paul O'Brien and Sean McKenna added to Limit.

Cian Donnelly and Patrick O'Brien moved from Limit to Semi-Limit at their own request.
    Patrick Kindillon moved from Semi-Limit to Semi-scratch at his own request.

Ian Mellor demoted to Semi-limit at his own request because he's a crybaby.

Barry Dunne moved to Semi-Limit.
    Patrick Conlon and Tom moved to Semi-scratch.

Or did you mean my aspirations to ride for liquigas? Well, I used to think Contador was a good role model, but I think Bennati suits me better, I'm going to turn myself into a sprinter for next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Patrick Conlon and Tom moved to Semi-scratch.

There go my plans of shadowing Tom in the next club race . Congrats Tom!

EDIT: no wait, next race will not be DMS so my plan is back on.

Just keep 500 meters more in the tank for next week and your be bumped up dirk !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

It's a lot easier to write a report when you don't win. That's a nice thing to learn, so I'll leave it at that. I'm sure I'll have plenty to say now that I'm competing against the semi-scratchers though.

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement in this thread though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Just catching up on posts and have to say well done Tom & Dirk ;) also levitronix and montac.
    Caroline, your day is fast approaching so hang in there!

Just need to stay there a few more weeks!

Yeah then we ll do a naked oiled up sidi commerical :eek:

sy wrote: »
    Caroline, your day is fast approaching so hang in there!
    I very much doubt so. lol

Advertisement