Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stihl Brushcutter

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

There seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people on this thread, so I'd appreciate some advice. I'm thinking of investing in a combi for strimming and hedgecutting for domestic use. Budget is fairly tight, anyone got recommendations?

What would Ryobi be like?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ryobi are good enough, what would concern me is an electric start on a 30cc two stroke engine.
    I see it as just one more thing to go wrong, flat battery and you are stuck without even a pullcord to help you out.
    In a car you can use a jumpstart but a strimmer?
    I would just buy the plain pullstart one and save a lot of money.
    Do you really need a polesaw?
    This one is the same engine and quite a bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Adolf Hitler and his army were the biggest users and buyers of Stihl Chainsaws back in the 1930s and they swore by them must be a good make

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Ryobi are good enough, what would concern me is an electric start on a 30cc two stroke engine.
    I see it as just one more thing to go wrong, flat battery and you are stuck without even a pullcord to help you out.
    In a car you can use a jumpstart but a strimmer?
    I would just buy the plain pullstart one and save a lot of money.
    Do you really need a polesaw?
    This one is the same engine and quite a bit cheaper.

Thanks for the advice.

No, I have no need for the Pole saw, but do want a hedge cutter attachment. I was doing a bit more research last night, and they do have a backup pullstart. Also came across this one for £189

I would like the Brush cutter head aswell, the one you linked to doesn't have it, and I don't see it as an optional extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Qwerty? wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice.

No, I have no need for the Pole saw, but do want a hedge cutter attachment. I was doing a bit more research last night, and they do have a backup pullstart. Also came across this one for £189

I would like the Brush cutter head aswell, the one you linked to doesn't have it, and I don't see it as an optional extra?
    By Brushcutter you mean one made from metal? They are easily fitted but it depends on what you are cutting as to what style you get.
    I have triwing, 4 bladed and saw types depending on what I am cutting.
    The nylon ones work quite well and are fairly robust.
    Are you sure they have a pullstart? the photo of the back of the trimmer doesn't show any pullstart.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    By Brushcutter you mean one made from metal? They are easily fitted but it depends on what you are cutting as to what style you get.
    I have triwing, 4 bladed and saw types depending on what I am cutting.
    The nylon ones work quite well and are fairly robust.
    Are you sure they have a pullstart? the photo of the back of the trimmer doesn't show any pullstart.

the RBC30PHT seems to have.
    • Starter rope included as back up

mind you, if the electronic start is so good, why does it need a backup:P

I must have look around locally first to see whats available.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭corco2000

hello, I am looking a buying a Stihl kombi unit. I have about 10acres of land to maintain. I'll need a strimmer,hedge cutters and a blower primarily.
    Advice please on which model I should get? Where is best and cheapest place to buy and what should I be expected to pay for the unit and then each individual part?
    Thank you for advice.Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cavanman3000

defo go for at least the km 90 engine unit or bigger. there is a smaller one , which would be okay for the strimmer and blower but not for the hedgetrimmer. i would recommend the km 130 though it is the biggest kombi engine, we have one and it is a serious tool nothing slows it down.

you could try donegans in co cavan.thats who i deal with and they always do me a good deal. 042 9666725.

Advertisement