Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Son's BSO keeps dropping chain...

• 22-04-2010 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭

So, my son's BSO keeps dropping the chain. I took a look at it this evening and noticed how the freewheel was sticking. I degreased and oiled the chain and freewheel which seemed to help a bit but the freewheel is still binding at a certain point in its rotation. This will run the chain slack if he stops pedalling and I figure that's what's causing the drops.

Anyway, given that the freewheel is binding at a particular point, would taking it off and soaking it in degreaser for a couple of days help? Or is it time for a new one? There's no chain wear showing (bike doesn't get used enough) and no sprocket wear either...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

cdaly_ wrote: »
    So, my son's BSE keeps dropping the chain. I took a look at it this evening and noticed how the freewheel was sticking. I degreased and oiled the chain and freewheel which seemed to help a bit but the freewheel is still binding at a certain point in its rotation. This will run the chain slack if he stops pedalling and I figure that's what's causing the drops.

Anyway, given that the freewheel is binding at a particular point, would taking it off and soaking it in degreaser for a couple of days help? Or is it time for a new one? There's no chain wear showing (bike doesn't get used enough) and no sprocket wear either...

Replace it. Its a common fault on crap bikes, and if its a few weeks old Id be looking at warranty.
    Dont bother trying to open it, waste of time and effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Thanks kona. Bike's a couple of years old so no warranty. I've a couple of 7sp freewheels in the shed (this one's a 6sp) so I'll see will one of those fit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Thanks kona. Bike's a couple of years old so no warranty. I've a couple of 7sp freewheels in the shed (this one's a 6sp) so I'll see will one of those fit...

That will sort the problem, set the limit screws too on both the front and rear mechs to just make sure everything runs smooth :)
    Just limit the derailleur to 1-6 of the 7 speed freewheel and you will be fine, Shouldnt be any other problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Fitted the 7-sp this morning. All good so far...

Advertisement