Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What I Desire!

• 22-04-2010 10:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    so after much deliberation and complication I got my hands on a HTC Desire. Looks good so far, but I'm still using my old phone until I have the Desire set up properly. I'm new to the whole android thing and I never really was up to date with phones anyway so I'd appreciate any help or advice on getting myself set up.

Contacts: I currently have all my contacts stored on my Sony Ericsson G900. I sync this with MyPhoneExplorer and I can then export a CSV file to cabbage and to spreadsheets for work. I now need a solution that will enable me to do the same thing with my Desire. I'm not sure if synching with my Google account and then to the phone is a good idea as I don't want any email addresses or contacts on the phone, just the contacts I currently have and will want to have in the future. It would be great if the contacts could sync automatically the same way my Google Calendar does so if it's possible to do it via Google and be able to only sync phone contacts and then be able to export as CSV from Google to use with Cabbage and spreadsheets, that would be great.

Email: I currently use Thunderbird as my email client. I find it best for me as it's essential I have offline access to my emails. I have 4 email accounts set up in Thunderbird but I'd only ever need urgent access to one. I don't use my Gmail address at all. Is there any way I can go about being able to view new emails on the Desire, but for a copy to still be downloadable to Thunderbird? On my Sony Ericsson G900, if I checked my mail on it, the mail would still be downloadable to Thunderbird when I got home. I don't want mails I send, being sent from an @gmail account and would want them to be from @mymail.

Maps: Although the included Google maps are good, it's missing the ability to find addresses without connecting to the net. It's also missing the ability to calculate distance/directions with via points in the route. Is there any free map software that can be downloaded to the desire that has its own database of maps and can calculate routes with via points to solve these problems?

Voice Recognition: I'd like to be able to install the voice recognition function on the desire. It doesn't seem to be in the market place and what I've seen from Googling looks complicated. I'd just like to get the Voice to Text feature enabled so I get the little microphone icon in the keyboard.

Flashlight: On my Sony Ericsson G900, there was a "torch" function that turned the flash on constantly so it could be used as a pretty decent torch. I searched the app market but couldn't find anything.

MSN:Looking for a basic app to allow me to sign into MSN messenger on the desire and would like some suggestions.

So if anyone has any advice at all on the above I'd really appreciate hearing from you. The above requests are listed in order of importance and I think when I've done the first 2 I'll be able to put my sim in and start using it then :)

Any feedback appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Congrats on the new phone. :)

1. You can choose what contacts you want to see on the phone. I have thousands of contacts in gmail, but only a couple of hundred have phone numbers. In the "People" app, press Menu, View, and tick "Only contacts with phone numbers". Putting the effort into syncing them with gmail is worth it......

2. When you have set up your account, go into "Settings", "Send & Receive", and turn off "Delete Mail on Server" (its off by default anyway)

3. Don't think there is anything free that's offline .... if you get access to paid apps, you can pay for co-pilot. Navigation via Google maps is cool though... just activated for UK and Ireland this week.

4. Don't know anything about voice recognition, I'll leave that to someone else to answer.

5. There is a free app called Flashlight.... try it out. How hard did you look? :)

6. There are a few MSN apps. "Hi MSN" is free.... http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-himsn-Cqn.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

cormie wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    so after much deliberation and complication I got my hands on a HTC Desire. Looks good so far, but I'm still using my old phone until I have the Desire set up properly. I'm new to the whole android thing and I never really was up to date with phones anyway so I'd appreciate any help or advice on getting myself set up.

Contacts: I currently have all my contacts stored on my Sony Ericsson G900. I sync this with MyPhoneExplorer and I can then export a CSV file to cabbage and to spreadsheets for work. I now need a solution that will enable me to do the same thing with my Desire. I'm not sure if synching with my Google account and then to the phone is a good idea as I don't want any email addresses or contacts on the phone, just the contacts I currently have and will want to have in the future. It would be great if the contacts could sync automatically the same way my Google Calendar does so if it's possible to do it via Google and be able to only sync phone contacts and then be able to export as CSV from Google to use with Cabbage and spreadsheets, that would be great.
    Can't really help with that as I just use google contacts to sync my contact list for me. I'll let you know if I find a way.
    Email: I currently use Thunderbird as my email client. I find it best for me as it's essential I have offline access to my emails. I have 4 email accounts set up in Thunderbird but I'd only ever need urgent access to one. I don't use my Gmail address at all. Is there any way I can go about being able to view new emails on the Desire, but for a copy to still be downloadable to Thunderbird? On my Sony Ericsson G900, if I checked my mail on it, the mail would still be downloadable to Thunderbird when I got home. I don't want mails I send, being sent from an @gmail account and would want them to be from @mymail.
    I'm assuming you want to use your business email on the phone? As in you want to use cormie@(your domain name).com as the email? That's fairly easy to do if whoever is hosting the email account supports exchange activesync and if so you can just add it via the mail widget. If not then the only way is to create another gmail account and configure it to fetch mail from your business email and to set it's reply-to and sender address as being your business email address. Not as difficult as it sounds but I would need to know who's hosting your business email to give you the exact details.
    Maps: Although the included Google maps are good, it's missing the ability to find addresses without connecting to the net. It's also missing the ability to calculate distance/directions with via points in the route. Is there any free map software that can be downloaded to the desire that has its own database of maps and can calculate routes with via points to solve these problems?
    Nothing free unfortunately. There is copilot 8 which is only £19.99 and it's an excellent GPS app.
    Voice Recognition: I'd like to be able to install the voice recognition function on the desire. It doesn't seem to be in the market place and what I've seen from Googling looks complicated. I'd just like to get the Voice to Text feature enabled so I get the little microphone icon in the keyboard.
    Few simple steps.
    1. Download this file here
    http://www.hallerud.se/htc_ime_jonasl_hires_24.zip

2. Download a file manager called ASTRO off the Market

3. Unzip the file in to a folder on your SD Card (Just make a new folder).

4. Using ASTRO browse in to the folder and click on HTC_IME.APK, you do NOT need to install the other one "clicker.apk"

5. Go to Menu, Settings, Language & Keyboard and activate "HTC_IME mod"

6. Now go back to your homescreen and push the search button (The physical hardware button that is)

7. Long press the area that says "Quick search box" and when it comes up with a menu click on Input method and choose HTC_IME.

8. Now you will see that there is the Mic button to the left of the spacebar on the keyboard. If you press it now it won't do anything as the voice service is still not installed. So to fix that visit http://code.google.com/p/voicesearch/ on your phone browser and download and install voicesearch 2.1.

That's all there is to it.
    Flashlight: On my Sony Ericsson G900, there was a "torch" function that turned the flash on constantly so it could be used as a pretty decent torch. I searched the app market but couldn't find anything.
    I'll have a look on Google code and see if there any apps, there must be a few over there not on the market. I could have sworn I saw a few on the market though, try searching again.
    MSN:Looking for a basic app to allow me to sign into MSN messenger on the desire and would like some suggestions.
    Fring is a brilliant IM program and it works on a lot of different networks like msn/yahoo e.t.c.

So if anyone has any advice at all on the above I'd really appreciate hearing from you. The above requests are listed in order of importance and I think when I've done the first 2 I'll be able to put my sim in and start using it then :)

Any feedback appreciated![/QUOTE]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks a lot for the quick help!
    Mr E wrote: »
    Congrats on the new phone. :)

1. You can choose what contacts you want to see on the phone. I have thousands of contacts in gmail, but only a couple of hundred have phone numbers. In the "People" app, press Menu, View, and tick "Only contacts with phone numbers". Putting the effort into syncing them with gmail is worth it......

So is it only possible to have one list of contacts on Google intself? I was thinking of sharing some of my contacts with another phone, but again, I wouldn't want thousands of email addresses to be synched, even if they aren't shown.. Do you know how to go about exporting the contact list to CSV after all that at all?

2. When you have set up your account, go into "Settings", "Send & Receive", and turn off "Delete Mail on Server" (its off by default anyway)

3. Don't think there is anything free that's offline .... if you get access to paid apps, you can pay for co-pilot. Navigation via Google maps is cool though... just activated for UK and Ireland this week.

How do you get access to the paid apps section? I had a look in the market for co pilot and nothing came up?

4. Don't know anything about voice recognition, I'll leave that to someone else to answer.

Got it working from instructions below :)

5. There is a free app called Flashlight.... try it out. How hard did you look? :)

There's quite a few called flashlight alright, but they all seem to just turn up the brightness of the screen, I was wondering if one that uses the actual flash, constantly on is out at all I wonder?

6. There are a few MSN apps. "Hi MSN" is free.... http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-himsn-Cqn.aspx

Thanks, will have a look

Can't really help with that as I just use google contacts to sync my contact list for me. I'll let you know if I find a way.

I'm assuming you want to use your business email on the phone? As in you want to use cormie@(your domain name).com as the email? That's fairly easy to do if whoever is hosting the email account supports exchange activesync and if so you can just add it via the mail widget. If not then the only way is to create another gmail account and configure it to fetch mail from your business email and to set it's reply-to and sender address as being your business email address. Not as difficult as it sounds but I would need to know who's hosting your business email to give you the exact details.

Yes, that's right it's the business one I want. My business email address is hosted by blacknight.ie. I'm not sure about the exchange active sync, but I do know I use a pop3 thingy on thunderbird?

Nothing free unfortunately. There is copilot 8 which is only £19.99 and it's an excellent GPS app.

Thanks, wonder is it worth it :)

Few simple steps.
    1. Download this file here
    http://www.hallerud.se/htc_ime_jonasl_hires_24.zip

2. Download a file manager called ASTRO off the Market

3. Unzip the file in to a folder on your SD Card (Just make a new folder).

4. Using ASTRO browse in to the folder and click on HTC_IME.APK, you do NOT need to install the other one "clicker.apk"

5. Go to Menu, Settings, Language & Keyboard and activate "HTC_IME mod"

6. Now go back to your homescreen and push the search button (The physical hardware button that is)

7. Long press the area that says "Quick search box" and when it comes up with a menu click on Input method and choose HTC_IME.

8. Now you will see that there is the Mic button to the left of the spacebar on the keyboard. If you press it now it won't do anything as the voice service is still not installed. So to fix that visit http://code.google.com/p/voicesearch/ on your phone browser and download and install voicesearch 2.1.

That's all there is to it.

Got it working! Works ok with some things and others not so good :o

I'll have a look on Google code and see if there any apps, there must be a few over there not on the market. I could have sworn I saw a few on the market though, try searching again.

Fring is a brilliant IM program and it works on a lot of different networks like msn/yahoo e.t.c.

Any feedback appreciated!
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks again for the help, I'm falling asleep here so will check back anyway :)

Thanks a lot for the quick help!

Thanks again for the help, I'm falling asleep here so will check back anyway :)[/QUOTE]
    Ah, you'll get used to the voice recognition soon enough. Just try and keep your accent as neutral as possible and speak slow and clear.
    At the moment, paid apps are unavailable but I expect google will have that fixed fairly soon. Until then you're going to have to just buy it from the developers website and just download it manually.

As for the email, if you want push email you're going to need either a gmail account with the forwarding/masking settings I talked about earlier (Not a difficult thing to do in fairness) or you're going to need an exchange server. I'm guessing you're on Blacknight's Maximus hosting plan and you're using their POP3 mail service? If so then you won't be able to use push email and it will be only pull email (As in, you get email updates every 30 mins instead of instantaneously) which may or may not be good enough for you. If it is then all you need to do is tap on the mail widget and choose POP mail account and enter in the details that you entered in Thunderbird and you should be all set.

If you want push email let me know and i'll tell you how I set it up.

Thanks, I'm actually on Blacknight minimus package. I'm not sure whether that makes a difference? If it's not possible at all on blacknight then I might be ok with pull email. One thing I was thinking though was that it may actually be good to have a backup of all my emails stored on Gmail anyway, but I guess it would only be able to backup all the new mails I get and not the thousands I have stored already, if at all!

EU CoPilot is coming in at £58 which is a bit pricey. Is Copilot supposed to be the best I wonder? Doesn't appear to be any map apps by Garmin (who I'm used to).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

1. Check this link out. You can export from gmail too (there are a couple of CSV options and a vcard export option)

2. Paid apps - access to paid apps has not been enabled by google. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I have access on my Hero by rooting my phone and running Market Enabler.

3. Sorry, didn't know you wanted to use the 'flash' light. :) I had a quick google and nothing jumped out at me.

Mr E wrote: »
    1. Check this link out. You can export from gmail too (there are a couple of CSV options and a vcard export option)

2. Paid apps - access to paid apps has not been enabled by google. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I have access on my Hero by rooting my phone and running Market Enabler.

3. Sorry, didn't know you wanted to use the 'flash' light. :) I had a quick google and nothing jumped out at me.

Thanks again, had a look at the link you gave me but it seems that guys menu has more options than what I have? Perhaps he's using androids default where as the HTC desire has HTC Sense so is different? He mentions "contacts" I just have "people" :confused:

Is there no way just to sync a group in google contacts to my "phone" contacts rather than using my google contacts, from my phone? I tried a test sync with gmail and 4 contacts, and then 1 test group I made with 1 contact with a phone number in it. If I don't have "only show contacts with numbers" selected, all 5 show up, if I select that option, just the one shows up. Is there any way just to get that one group to show up without having to click the "only show contacts with numbers" option? I just don't like the idea of having everything synched. Also, is there any way to get rid of the "me/my contact card" contact and all the default groups like friends/coworkers etc? Ideally, I'd just like to sync A with B and leave it at that, A being just the one group in Gmail that I've created, and B being the phones actual phonebook so if I went to "people" all I'd see was the phones phonebook and could sync that to Gmail and then be able to export a CSV file from that from google. Doesn't seem possible though :(

Thanks, I'm actually on Blacknight minimus package. I'm not sure whether that makes a difference? If it's not possible at all on blacknight then I might be ok with pull email. One thing I was thinking though was that it may actually be good to have a backup of all my emails stored on Gmail anyway, but I guess it would only be able to backup all the new mails I get and not the thousands I have stored already, if at all!

EU CoPilot is coming in at £58 which is a bit pricey. Is Copilot supposed to be the best I wonder? Doesn't appear to be any map apps by Garmin (who I'm used to).
    It means you can't use push email unless you reroute the email through gmail. If you want push just input the POP3 settings in to the mail widget and you're sorted.

As for importing to gmail, you can effectively import all your old emails in to the account, mask your sender email to be the @vantasks.ie email and set up gmail to retrieve all the emails sent to the @vantasks.ie email address too.

So the question is, do you want push or pull email?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

I'm using eBuddy's app for Instant Messaging right now, you can put facebook chat and the google one on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bomber6

Regarding paid apps, an English SIM card will mean you buy stuff from the Market...or so I'm told. Will have to check

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies again!

To be honest, I'd be happy enough with pull email, but I'd like to have a backup of all mail accessible anywhere, as opposed to just on my laptop/thunderbird. This may not be so practical though and I think I'm overthinking it and I wouldn't really take advantage of it anyway and I've far too many attachments and things in my mail to backupanyway, it'd take ages to do properly and if it's not done properly, I'd prefer an alternatic, like just keeping it all to the PC and just pulling email when I think to do it. As long as, as was said, I can choose "don't delete from server on push/pull" and I can read urgent mails if necessary, then I think it'll be fine :)

Now it's just post number 8 above I'd love to know about and a way around it and then I think I'll be ready to start using the Desire properly once I sort out the contacts :)

The CoPilot app is a bit expensive to "test" at £58, how quick would you be able to get the distance/time of a route from say "home to mullingar to drogheda to home" on CoPilot? Some GPS apps just aren't made for planning so definitely don't want to risk so much money if it's not up to the task :)

Sorted the email, thanks :) Got one of the "screen" flashlights so now it's just contacts and a routing map!

I got ebuddy, but I don't like the fact you have to sign up for an ebuddy account, is there any msn app you can just sign in with your actual msn details I wonder?

Sorted the email, thanks :) Got one of the "screen" flashlights so now it's just contacts and a routing map!

I got ebuddy, but I don't like the fact you have to sign up for an ebuddy account, is there any msn app you can just sign in with your actual msn details I wonder?
    There is MSNDroid but personally I prefer fring simply because of how much easier it is to use. You have to make a fring account though but it only takes a few seconds anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

(Sorry for the slight hijack but Cormie has a lot of the same questions I have, so didn't want to create a new thread...)

I'll be moving to the Desire from a Nokia 5800 next week (assuming that is that I can find a Meteor store that has them in stock for upgrading customers!!).

Currently I use MSN/Windows Messenger for my IM needs, and Hotmail for my email (primarily because of the integration with MSN) and I access Hotmail either via the Web or Outlook 2007 (with the Outlook Connector plugin). I also have Hotmail setup on the 5800 and use the MSN client as well.

Understandably then I'm a bit worried by all these nightmarish problems of moving contacts from my old phone, getting my email running on it etc..

I do have a gmail account but to be honest I can't stand the interface (just seems very basic/cumbersome to me coming from the Outlook-style interface) so I'd ideally rather not have to setup all my contacts in gmail before I can then get them on the phone.

Equally I have a Facebook account too, but don't particularly need all those people (mostly people I went to school with or worked with in previous jobs) cluttering up my contacts lists.

Of course, I'm coming from a long line of Nokia phones and I've yet to even play with an Android handset so maybe I'm overstating the problem entirely?

Any advice much appreciated and again, sorry for the mini-hijack Cormie :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

To be honest, I'd be happy enough with pull email, but I'd like to have a backup of all mail accessible anywhere, as opposed to just on my laptop/thunderbird. This may not be so practical though and I think I'm overthinking it and I wouldn't really take advantage of it anyway and I've far too many attachments and things in my mail to backupanyway, it'd take ages to do properly and if it's not done properly, I'd prefer an alternatic, like just keeping it all to the PC and just pulling email when I think to do it. As long as, as was said, I can choose "don't delete from server on push/pull" and I can read urgent mails if necessary, then I think it'll be fine :)
    I have a similar need, and instead use gmail as the main centralising email application. In gmail if you go to "Settings -> Accounts and Import" you can add POP3 accounts which gmail will fetch mail from and integrate. You can also apply labels and filters as they come in.
    You can ask gmail to leave the mail there if you want, or allow gmail to pull the mail, and then get your desktop client (thunderbird/outlook/etc) to pull email from the POP3/IMAP server of gmail.

As for sending from one email. You can do that too :). As you set up new POP account you can choose to send from that address. It'll send a little email to it that you can verify and it's done. You can always add these through the same menu. Then within gmail you can also set the default email address under the same menu.
    So is handy if you need to get email from a@x.com, b@y.com and c@z.com and want to always appear to be sending from b@y.com ;)

I prefer Meebo as it signs in to many different IM sites. But if all you want is MSN then search the market for "Hi MSN". Works a charm.
    Is there no way just to sync a group in google contacts to my "phone" contacts rather than using my google contacts, from my phone? I tried a test sync with gmail and 4 contacts, and then 1 test group I made with 1 contact with a phone number in it. If I don't have "only show contacts with numbers" selected, all 5 show up, if I select that option, just the one shows up. Is there any way just to get that one group to show up without having to click the "only show contacts with numbers" option? I just don't like the idea of having everything synched. Also, is there any way to get rid of the "me/my contact card" contact and all the default groups like friends/coworkers etc? Ideally, I'd just like to sync A with B and leave it at that, A being just the one group in Gmail that I've created, and B being the phones actual phonebook so if I went to "people" all I'd see was the phones phonebook and could sync that to Gmail and then be able to export a CSV file from that from google. Doesn't seem possible though :(
    To be honest your trying to think about how to circumvent what the phone does best - sync with gmail.
    The important thing is to get your gmail contacts set up right - if you have groups setup within gmail you can narrow the contacts menu by selecting the group icon (second from left at the bottom) and then select the group you want. If you also have the option to show only those with numbers, it'll also refine that group list.
    The me/my contact card is permanent. This idea has been on smartphones for quite a while - the idea being you can just push your "business card" to someone via Bluetooth, sms or other.
    I haven't seen a way to delete the default "phone" groups - but of a pain really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    (Sorry for the slight hijack but Cormie has a lot of the same questions I have, so didn't want to create a new thread...)

I'll be moving to the Desire from a Nokia 5800 next week (assuming that is that I can find a Meteor store that has them in stock for upgrading customers!!).

Currently I use MSN/Windows Messenger for my IM needs, and Hotmail for my email (primarily because of the integration with MSN) and I access Hotmail either via the Web or Outlook 2007 (with the Outlook Connector plugin). I also have Hotmail setup on the 5800 and use the MSN client as well.

Understandably then I'm a bit worried by all these nightmarish problems of moving contacts from my old phone, getting my email running on it etc..

I do have a gmail account but to be honest I can't stand the interface (just seems very basic/cumbersome to me coming from the Outlook-style interface) so I'd ideally rather not have to setup all my contacts in gmail before I can then get them on the phone.
    Each to their own.. Main thing most miss when moving between them is the folder and message preview. The former isn't needed when you put some effort into labels, and I agree on the latter - would be so nice :(
    Anyways - you can sync Outlook using HTC Sync. Go to HTC site and download. You then sync with your outlook over cable. I think it's jsut calendar and contacts.
    Equally I have a Facebook account too, but don't particularly need all those people (mostly people I went to school with or worked with in previous jobs) cluttering up my contacts lists.
    Don't sign in then :)
    You can also turn off the facebook in the contacts list through the View Menu - just deselect Facebook.

No problem Kaiser, similar enough request anyway ;)

RikD wrote: »
    I have a similar need, and instead use gmail as the main centralising email application. In gmail if you go to "Settings -> Accounts and Import" you can add POP3 accounts which gmail will fetch mail from and integrate. You can also apply labels and filters as they come in.
    You can ask gmail to leave the mail there if you want, or allow gmail to pull the mail, and then get your desktop client (thunderbird/outlook/etc) to pull email from the POP3/IMAP server of gmail.

As for sending from one email. You can do that too :). As you set up new POP account you can choose to send from that address. It'll send a little email to it that you can verify and it's done. You can always add these through the same menu. Then within gmail you can also set the default email address under the same menu.
    So is handy if you need to get email from a@x.com, b@y.com and c@z.com and want to always appear to be sending from b@y.com ;)

Thanks for that, I'll have a think about it, but I think I'm quite happy with the way I've set it up now. Basically the mail is kept on the server and my phone checks it every hour or whenever I set it, or whenever I choose. If there's a new mail that thunderbird hasn't pulled already I'll get it and be able to view it and delete it when I'm done with it off the phone to keep things organised and then when I go home and turn thunderbird on, I can download it off the server and it's removed from the server there and I have my permanent copy stored on Thunderbird.

I prefer Meebo as it signs in to many different IM sites. But if all you want is MSN then search the market for "Hi MSN". Works a charm.

Thanks, will give them a look!

To be honest your trying to think about how to circumvent what the phone does best - sync with gmail.
    The important thing is to get your gmail contacts set up right - if you have groups setup within gmail you can narrow the contacts menu by selecting the group icon (second from left at the bottom) and then select the group you want. If you also have the option to show only those with numbers, it'll also refine that group list.
    The me/my contact card is permanent. This idea has been on smartphones for quite a while - the idea being you can just push your "business card" to someone via Bluetooth, sms or other.
    I haven't seen a way to delete the default "phone" groups - but of a pain really.

Thanks again for that, but it appears to be a bit of a problem for me. To simply go to my desired group requires me to always click the group icon and then always click the group I want. I'd much prefer a way to just pull one group from Google and sync that with the phone contacts (even if you sync 100 contacts from Google at the moment, "phone contacts" is still at 0. Ideally I'd want there to be no groups (on the phone) and just a long list of all my contacts that I currently have on the phone, with no contacts from any other accounts such as gmail default account, gtalk or my contact card or anything like that. Would just make it much easier and straight forward to have one list and sync one list and just have to maintain one list and not have to go through a route of menus every time I want to see that one list. Bit disappointed I can't do what is basically the simplest most basic option without all the bells and whistles :(

On another note, can anyone confirm whether they have CoPilot Live 8 working on the HTC Desire itself? It isn't listed on the developers/manufacturers compatibility list, although the Nexus One is and according to this page: http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=11956034558&topic=367422 a representative from CoPilot has said it's still under testing for the Desire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Totoro_

Is there any apps that can play .srt (subtitle) flies on movies ??

Just installed Meebo for msn, it's brilliant and exactly what I want. No need to create a meebo account, just signs straight into whatever IM you want and has a very nice and easy layout!

So now I just have the contacts and maps to sort out and I'm sorted :)

Just to note, I found an app that uses the camera flash led as a flashlight :)

It's called FlashApp and works well!

Anyway, I've not ticked off all the boxes so thanks again for all the help, just thought I'd post that for anyone else interested :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement