Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salvage, Hrta milsim game, Monday the 3rd of May.

Options
  • 22-04-2010 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭

Salvage:

The Last War has blown itself out; survivors of the apocalypse scavenge the carcass of the old world to live.
    Resources are scarce and life cheap, so a recently-destroyed convoy is a prize worth fighting for - both for the inhabitants of the nearby town of Salvage and for The Priest's wasteland acolytes. But there's more going on around Salvage than meets the eye. Why wasn't the convoy picked clean already? What deadly secret do the survivors hold? And who's watching?

A post-apocalyptic milsim game with multiple objectives to consider, optional role-playing motivations and an evolving storyline.
    Ammo limits and mortality rules will be in effect.
    Mid cap's only, Non-winding magazines.
    The game will run all day, so carry lunch in!

Big thanks, to evilrobotshane, for putting it all togetter, thanks Shane.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Dread-Lock

I think you mean 3rd of May ;).

And sounds awesome, I'll be there.
    P.S. Nice one Shane!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Yeah, good job Shane, and thanks Paul for hosting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭JonnyTwoCombs

Where would one sign up for this post-apocalyptic nightmare scenario, and when does it start?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

Where would one sign up for this post-apocalyptic nightmare scenario, and when does it start?
    Sign up on the day at HRTA! Briefings at 1030 and game on at 1100, so I'd say try to be there by 1000 at the latest. You know how long loading all those magazines can take, after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Sounds interesting very stalker-esk look forward to seeing some more information, great opertunity for anyone to put together an interesting loadout

• Advertisement

Here's some information on the two player factions in the game.
    THE VILLAGERS: People of all walks of life who've managed to scrounge together enough to keep the town now called Salvage alive, based mainly on its stockpile of medicine jealously guarded within the pharmaceutical factory. The team has one medic but has access to a clinic which functions as a MASH per the game rules. One player is designated as The Councillor, head of the team, which is a semi-LARP role. Optionally, players should dress in civilian clothing.

THE ACOLYTES: Survivors who have been forced to adopt a nomadic lifestyle under the leadership of the charismatic Priest. Recent victims of an outbreak of disease, they are desperate for medical supplies but Salvage refuses to trade, so they are resigned to use of force. The team has up to three medics. One player is designated as The Priest, head of the team, which is a semi-LARP role. Optionally, players should dress in rag-tag military clothing and equipment.
    Appropriate clothing would be appreciated but won't be enforced. Still, I hereby reserve the right to look at you funny if you turn up in full historically correct Operation TELIC kit or a computer game character costume (unless it's a dude from the Fallout games).

The game will use a slightly stripped-down version of the Rules of Engagement rule set, available here. Many thanks to the Rules of Engagement guys for making these rules available for use. The main elements that might be different to what you're used to:
    • Real-capacity ammo loads. If your gun's real-life equivalent takes 30 rounds in a mag, you load 30 rounds in a mag. Pick your shots, use that single-shot setting, and practise your reloading drills!
    • 10-minute bleed time, 15-minute respawn. Getting hit is something to be avoided if possible, but allows for interesting tactical problems trying to get medics to the wounded. It gives you time to grab some food and reload your mags though.
    • Medics can bring you back up by tying a bandage around your arm, and after that, around your other arm. Third hit is instant death. Enemy medics can do this too, and take you prisoner!
    • As well as magazine capacities, magazine load-outs are restricted by role. Take a look at the rules, but for a rifleman it's maximum of 10 primary mags and 4 side-arm. We won't be using the ammunition weights rules.
    • You can drag injured people about in a simulated carry, although that requires two people to do the carrying. Short drags into cover can be done by literally dragging; if you don't want someone trying to haul your fat ass by your el cheapo eBayBanned Multicam rig, you're permitted to say "Keep your damn hands offa me!", the one time you're allowed say anything other than calling for a medic while in bleed time.

Booking isn't required, but I've set up a pre-registration thing so you can get your name in for a faction ahead of time, and so we can see what the balance is like and everything. It's a nice facility, it allows people to offer and request lifts and stuff.

http://airsoft-booking.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=681

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭captaindanwaldo

Sounds ace im intrested, il try put a suitable rag tag loadout together, is there a cap player on this

Sounds ace im intrested, il try put a suitable rag tag loadout together, is there a cap player on this
    Nice one, that'll be great! Nope, no player cap, up to what the site can actually physically take so we should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Sounds good, I always like a good post-apocalyptic story myself :)

How are you deciding on team leads? Have you picked someone already who will be briefed on the story line to keep the roleplay going? Or will you picking/briefing them on the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

Me and my gas mask are there, time to rock out the wasteland raider load out. Sawn off shot guns and foul language here we come

• Advertisement

kdouglas wrote: »
    Sounds good, I always like a good post-apocalyptic story myself :)
    I'm glad this is getting a good response actually, I wasn't sure if people'd be interested in a trip to Club Post-Apocalypso. Salvage will be the first game in the Aftermath setting. I have another, much more complicated one, mostly-written which might happen later in the summer if this goes well.
    How are you deciding on team leads? Have you picked someone already who will be briefed on the story line to keep the roleplay going? Or will you picking/briefing them on the day?
    Teams will be divided down the middle from the player pool on the day, with costumes and preferences catered for as best as possible. Non-player characters and the like will be portrayed by folks from my own group (ACOG, an acronym so lame it's almost cool).

I don't want to ram LARPing down throats that don't want it, so optionally any player may draw a motivation and goal randomly from a deck, which'll give them something else to be working on, possibly at the expense of the greater good of their team. I won't give examples here to keep from giving away what the shady guy on your team might be up to, but they'll be available for anyone who'd like to throw a little ham acting in with their airsoft, a bit more immersion in the setting.

The team leaders is something I'll ask for submissions for ahead of time once I've drawn up a decent description of what it'd involve, and they'll get the required information ahead of time. Basically, their first loyalty is to the story and their character, second to their team. A bit of scenery-chewing and fist-shaking at the dastardly opposition would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

this really looks like allot of fun very Stalkerish i'll diffidently be coming to this now just to get a proper loadout sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'll be there, sounds fantastic :D

Bit confusing if teams are split on day but I guess its the best way, jsut bring two outfits?

O JESUS WHAT AM I GONNA WEAR?!?!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Post apocalyptic looking rags?

I'd just wear my old student clothes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

I'm there too Shane! Sweet... Now to perfect the ideal fallout loadout!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Added to calendar, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭gungun

ill try my best to make it to this, would be my first milsim game so ill try get a decent redneck loadout :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

i'll be there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Here's some information on the two player factions in the game.
    THE VILLAGERS: People of all walks of life who've managed to scrounge together enough to keep the town now called Salvage alive, based mainly on its stockpile of medicine jealously guarded within the pharmaceutical factory. The team has one medic but has access to a clinic which functions as a MASH per the game rules. One player is designated as The Councillor, head of the team, which is a semi-LARP role. Optionally, players should dress in civilian clothing.

THE ACOLYTES: Survivors who have been forced to adopt a nomadic lifestyle under the leadership of the charismatic Priest. Recent victims of an outbreak of disease, they are desperate for medical supplies but Salvage refuses to trade, so they are resigned to use of force. The team has up to three medics. One player is designated as The Priest, head of the team, which is a semi-LARP role. Optionally, players should dress in rag-tag military clothing and equipment.
    Appropriate clothing would be appreciated but won't be enforced. Still, I hereby reserve the right to look at you funny if you turn up in full historically correct Operation TELIC kit or a computer game character costume (unless it's a dude from the Fallout games).

The game will use a slightly stripped-down version of the Rules of Engagement rule set, available here. Many thanks to the Rules of Engagement guys for making these rules available for use. The main elements that might be different to what you're used to:
    • Real-capacity ammo loads. If your gun's real-life equivalent takes 30 rounds in a mag, you load 30 rounds in a mag. Pick your shots, use that single-shot setting, and practise your reloading drills!
    • 10-minute bleed time, 15-minute respawn. Getting hit is something to be avoided if possible, but allows for interesting tactical problems trying to get medics to the wounded. It gives you time to grab some food and reload your mags though.
    • Medics can bring you back up by tying a bandage around your arm, and after that, around your other arm. Third hit is instant death. Enemy medics can do this too, and take you prisoner!
    • As well as magazine capacities, magazine load-outs are restricted by role. Take a look at the rules, but for a rifleman it's maximum of 10 primary mags and 4 side-arm. We won't be using the ammunition weights rules.
    • You can drag injured people about in a simulated carry, although that requires two people to do the carrying. Short drags into cover can be done by literally dragging; if you don't want someone trying to haul your fat ass by your el cheapo eBayBanned Multicam rig, you're permitted to say "Keep your damn hands offa me!", the one time you're allowed say anything other than calling for a medic while in bleed time.

Looks pretty dang good to me.

Furious I wont be able to make it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭JonnyTwoCombs

Sign up on the day at HRTA! Briefings at 1030 and game on at 1100, so I'd say try to be there by 1000 at the latest. You know how long loading all those magazines can take, after all...

Yes Shane :D I well remember how long it takes to load ALL those mags :eek:

I will try my best to make it up, now Mmmmmmmmmmmm how to explain this to the boss :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

ill be up, if my m4 is all better, its the only gun iv mids for! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Post apocalyptic looking rags?

I'd just wear my old student clothes :P
    I'd recommend Blacks/Grays.

Perhaps Urban Camo bottoms, Black T-Shirt with some Kneed Pads/Elbow Pads and a Balclava.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

thermo wrote: »

I'm sure you can find someone to borrow an AEG off if not, it's not as if stanags are some kind of rare low compatibility magazine or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭citizenken

Can you book me and about 6 others from Aon .Looking forward to it.:)

Cheers
    http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1987/aonlogo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭FunkBlaster87

Any cap on the amount of 40mm grenades you can bring( please say no :D)?
    How about claymores?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭G.I Joseph

Awww man I just found the perfect leather jacket for this Ill look like a real wastelander!! Cant wait for this. Great idea Shane really different , I cant wait.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

G.I Joseph wrote: »
    Awww man I just found the perfect leather jacket for this Ill look like a real wastelander!! Cant wait for this. Great idea Shane really different , I cant wait.
    :cool:

oh god no joe your going for the mad max look. although it'l be mad joe :p

Any cap on the amount of 40mm grenades you can bring( please say no :D)?
    How about claymores?
    Maximum of 6 40mm grenades, I'm afraid (along with 8 mags for the primary gun and 4 for a sidearm). No limits on claymores though! I mean, how many have you got? :)

http://www.rulesofengagement.ie/rules_roles.php

Okay, although booking isn't required, I found a handy facility for pre-registering, so if you'd like to get your name in ahead of time for a particular faction, head along to this. It also allows people to offer or request lifts, and things like that.

http://airsoft-booking.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=681

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

thermo wrote: »

Problem solved, iv been offered the loan of a gun!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement