Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salvage, Hrta milsim game, Monday the 3rd of May.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

now iv to decide on a faction!what way are people leaning towards?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Drachnien

*insert string of swear words here!* why the hell do i have to be over in england that weekend doing a swords and magic LARP!

I really hope this does well enough to happen again !

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Can I bring my larp dagger and stab people in the back;););)

Seriously, I plan on coming along. I have cloths to play a villager, but have no gun and never done airsoft before. So I'd appreciate some kind of role to keep me occupied for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

TheDoc wrote: »
    O JESUS WHAT AM I GONNA WEAR?!?!?!?!

Just dress normally Doc, you'l look the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

how many hand grenades you allowed carry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

"Players are permitted to carry any combination of up to 8 hand grenades of any type in any combination"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Dread-Lock

I need 6 more Thunder B's. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Dread-Lock wrote: »
    I need 6 more Thunder B's. :p

i'll give ya a lend of my unopenned ones if your on what ever faction i go for :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 docinabox

Sound brilliant would love to go if I find a lift down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

docinabox wrote: »
    Sound brilliant would love to go if I find a lift down.

where abouts are ya based. someone coming from your way may give ya a lift

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 docinabox

andy_g wrote: »
    where abouts are ya based. someone coming from your way may give ya a lift

In Castlebar, Mayo. Still waiting on gear in the post though so im not 100% if i'll be going yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭demonspawn

Anyone know if there's a bus from Swords that heads out that way? Seems to be only about 6 km but not sure how long that would take to walk. If anyone else is going who doesn't have a lift maybe we can meet in Swords and share a taxi?

Also, the only mag I have for my M14 is a high-cap. I'm gonna see if Hobby Airsoft have any in stock but if they don't does anyone know where I can get some before the game? It's a Cybergun M14 SOCOM and I think the mags are compatible with TM.

bus ... airsoft ... does not compute.

I think there's a bus eireann that leaves you a fair auld walk from the site, mind you, we saw some kids making that walk last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

tadcan wrote: »
    Can I bring my larp dagger and stab people in the back;););)

Seriously, I plan on coming along. I have cloths to play a villager, but have no gun and never done airsoft before. So I'd appreciate some kind of role to keep me occupied for the day.
    Hiya Tad! Great to see someone from the gamer community's hoping on joining in.

I'm afraid that imitation knives are completely out, which is the norm in airsoft in Ireland. The potential for complication is just too damn big so it's a blanket policy in this case, sorry. You can poke people with your fingers and say "knife kill!" though. :) (in a world of accurate fully automatic ranged weapons, this makes you an immense hardass)

I've run this over in my head, and although there'll be some LARP elements the game is 90% wargame and 10% LARP, or not even that - there just isn't room in this one for a first-timer who's unarmed. However, we'd be delighted to have you along, and will sort you out with a spare gun one way or another, if you're okay with getting down with the line infantry. You can have a personal motivation, which'll be available for all the players, but bear in mind most of these folks have never LARPed, so go easy on 'em. :)

I don't mind a hike, just don't want to miss the 10:30 start. I guess a taxi wouldn't be too expensive, no more than Bus Eireann anyway.

Drachnien wrote: »
    *insert string of swear words here!* why the hell do i have to be over in england that weekend doing a swords and magic LARP!

I really hope this does well enough to happen again !
    magic+8+ball+yes.jpg

Have fun over there! Random encounters and experience points. And drunken singing.

demonspawn wrote: »
    I don't mind a hike, just don't want to miss the 10:30 start. I guess a taxi wouldn't be too expensive, no more than Bus Eireann anyway.

According to RedBarns website this is the bus you want:
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1263393896-101.pdf

It goes from town through the tunnel and you'll have to request to be let off. I'm not sure about your prospects for getting back on when you're going home if any or indeed how convenient it is (you're looking at going into the city for it).

The walk is three and a half kilometers and google says it'll take you three quarters of an hour. I reckon you're better off just hoofing it up from Swords. On which note Google (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Main+St&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&geocode=FQy3LwMdCBah_w%3BFeN8MAMd69ag_w&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=17&dirflg=w&sll=53.459942,-6.219152&sspn=0.004682,0.009645&ie=UTF8&ll=53.460549,-6.217425&spn=0.009364,0.01929&t=h&z=16) gives us this route being six and a half kilometers and an hour and a quarter unburdened. You'll need to leave longer than that if you're carrying much kit and even longer if you think you'll want a sit down after. The good news is I rode this route on my motorbike and it shouldn't pose too many issues to a sensible walkist.

My personal recommendation is that you just cave in and buy a car.

Stonewolf wrote: »

My personal recommendation is that you just cave in and buy a car.

NEVA!! I grew up in the U.S., I'll never pay the ridiculous prices for petrol and insurance in this country! lol Thanks for the info though, 3 km isn't too far. Legs haven't failed me so far! xD

andy_g wrote: »
    i'll give ya a lend of my unopenned ones if your on what ever faction i go for :P

You have unopened Thunder B's? That's just cruel.....
    And I guess I'm joining whichever faction you do :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

NEVA!! I grew up in the U.S., I'll never pay the ridiculous prices for petrol and insurance in this country! lol Thanks for the info though, 3 km isn't too far. Legs haven't failed me so far! xD

where are you comin from mate?
    im headin on moday so i could prob pick ya up on the way and give ya a lift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

This is exactly the sort of game that could make me finally start airsofting like I've been planning to...
    Or do you guys think it would be a little much for a complete beginner? :pac:

Kazuma wrote: »
    This is exactly the sort of game that could make me finally start airsofting like I've been planning to...

No, I'd say if it interests you and you understand the type of game it is then come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Dread-Lock wrote: »
    No, I'd say if it interests you and you understand the type of game it is then come along.
    Well if I do go I'll be reading the specific rules for this event thoroughly, been meaning to start for quite a while now, so I'm already familiar enough with the honour system, that sort of thing...
    But I'm fully open to helpful pointers in the right direction...will the site be renting gear as usual on the day?

Kazuma wrote: »
    Not at all; once you've familiarised yourself with the rules the only problem you'll have is that you'll be incompetent and bewildered, but that happens to us all. :) My second airsoft game ever was the HRTA May Day milsim last year, actually.

The problem with renting gear is that they don't have appropriate magazines, which are required for this game because of the post-apocalyptic ammo shortage type of thing going on. I'd say if you're definite you want to get into airsoft, see if you can scrape the dough together to get to an airsoft shop and buy a starter gun of your own with maybe 5 non-winding mags. Downside is an outlay of about 250 quid; upside is the feeling of intense coolity. Alternately, have a look at what you can find in the Airsoft Adverts sub-forum nearby. If this isn't possible, drop me a PM and we'll see what we can figure out.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Anyone know were i can get mid cap mags for this event then ? i only have high caps for my M4

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

However, we'd be delighted to have you along, and will sort you out with a spare gun one way or another, if you're okay with getting down with the line infantry. You can have a personal motivation, which'll be available for all the players, but bear in mind most of these folks have never LARPed, so go easy on 'em. :)

I spent last weekend playing paintball, so I have no problem getting down and dirty crawling in the mud.

If there are no spare guns, then I can play a medic.

jeawan wrote: »
    Anyone know were i can get mid cap mags for this event then ? i only have high caps for my M4
    Looks like Quality Airsoft Supplies have a recent shipment in, of the highly-recommended MAG brand (assuming they're talking about STANAGS and not some other type of magazine there). Mosey on over to their thread and ask them. Actually don't mosey, leg it, time's short!

Right, well the return trip will probably be to Swords if you can't get some helpful sod to give you a lift. Here's the route you'll need to walk:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=R129&daddr=53.509471,-6.236293&hl=en&geocode=FQlvMAMd_3uh_w%3B&mra=mi&mrsp=1,0&sz=15&sll=53.505635,-6.222467&sspn=0.018709,0.038581&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=15

It's a request stop so you'll need to ask the driver when you get on to let you off at "The turn off for Ballyboughal" and be on the ball in case he forgets (there's a filling station on the left followed by a left turn with a junction going off right at some industrial units, a gatso after the turn on the right hand side and then a right turn with the junction right after it on the left (it's semi-concealed so be on the lookout)).

The walk itself is simple enough, go down the Ballyboughal road, over the bridge and keep going until you get to a crossroads where you go left, the site is just down the road, around a right turn, it's the gravel entrance before the ploughed field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Lift going if you're interested. 2 free spaces in the car.

• Advertisement

Right, we're going to need people to portray the leadership roles of either faction - The Councillor and The Priest. This is an odd role, probably not something you'll have tried before, but potentially lots of fun. Here's what it's about and what's required:
    • As faction leader, you'll make broad tactical decisions like division of manpower, priority of objectives and so on.
    • You'll divide your faction into sub-units and designate a team leader for each - having this type of thing laid out officially is important in milsim-type games.
    • You'll interact with some other partially and completely role-played characters.
    • Make sure the story elements trickle down to the lowliest members of the faction. They need to know about developments, reasons they're pursuing objectives, what's going on and why. Not because it'll help them get the job done, but because it makes the game more more interesting and fun when you can follow the story, and I want this game to be fun!
    • All of the above will ideally be done in the personality of your character. If you think assigning team leader roles to the biggest toady rather than the most experienced is what your character would do, then do that! If you think your character would be more concerned with a full-on frontal assault for revenge than with cleverly defending key objectives, then do that! Your first responsibility will be to acting your character - the success of your faction is a secondary concern. :) That said, of course your character wants his empire to come out on top.
    • If desired, you are just as free as any other player to go out and brap the jayzis face off as many people you can find.
    What I'm looking for is:
    • At least a few games of airsoft under your belt. Doesn't have to be milsim or anything, but just a bit of experience with the culture of the skirmish field, in terms of behavioural norms, tactical considerations, etiquette and other stuff that's hard to put words on.
    • Willingness to put story ahead of everything else!
    • Ability to chew the scenery, improvise dialogue, rant about incompetent buffoons and so on without getting all embarrassed and hiding in a corner.
    If you're up for it, please apply by dropping me a PM. I'd like to know which faction you'd like to lead, why you'd be good at it and what sorts of ideas you have for what to do with the faction.

Enthusiasm for the job is far and away more important than any other thing you might be able to stick on your CV, although if you can claim "lived for two-years just outside Chernobyl, have run several partially ruined towns, only have one eye, got kicked out of the Society for Creative Anachronism because they said I was too much of a hammy over-actor" then bonus points baby.

If you're interested, regardless of whether you find the idea a bit intimidating or not, please let me know!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement