Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salvage, Hrta milsim game, Monday the 3rd of May.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

sounded like a great success, look forward to seeing the pictures :)

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Absolutely epic first game of airsoft for me, can't wait to see what else you have in the works shane :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Cheers again to Shane and Co and to Paul for hosting it today. It was possibly the best craic I've had in a North Dublin site near The Naul this weekend! :D

Joking aside, today was good craic. Sure Doc, I did threaten once or twice to do mean and nasty things to you for your 'larping' but in your shoes I'd have done the same (and I have to say you and Fayer handed us our arses in the village in the afternoon clearing those buildings - well done lads).

Today was my first at HRTA and it will not be the last - tactical burgers rock! Also fantastic to meet a few heads that I've seen posting up here - Doc, Fayer, Jeawan, Jesse and Daryll, Dread-Lock, Thermo - nice to meet ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭jesse shortall1

Cheers again to Shane and Co and to Paul for hosting it today. It was possibly the best craic I've had in a North Dublin site near The Naul this weekend! :D

Joking aside, today was good craic. Sure Doc, I did threaten once or twice to do mean and nasty things to you for your 'larping' but in your shoes I'd have done the same (and I have to say you and Fayer handed us our arses in the village in the afternoon clearing those buildings - well done lads).

Today was my first at HRTA and it will not be the last - tactical burgers rock! Also fantastic to meet a few heads that I've seen posting up here - Doc, Fayer, Jeawan, Jesse and Daryll, Dread-Lock, Thermo - nice to meet ye.
    ha nice to meet you man that was great when we finally got the left flank clear:)great day

any heads up on pics or vids:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Also fair dues to those who were trying milsim for the first time, but also the folk who arnt really into larping, yet went along with it and kept the ball rolling.

Raging ive to wait ages for another game...like..a week..**** sake

Milsim is the way forward.

I'd love to know what was actually going on today - unfortunately being stuck in a ditch having a prolonged game of stalemate with Dread-Lock for most of the first half of the day didn't exactly lend itself to seeing the bigger picture - but that's no reflection on todays game and setup and more a reflection of my lack of ability in being able to push on and keep from getting bogged down.

No, all in all, total win today. Even if we didn't actually win. But still win. Sod it, ye know what I'm trying to say...

Has anyone said yet that airsoft was the real winner today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭P.K

I'd love to know what was actually going on today - unfortunately being stuck in a ditch having a prolonged game of stalemate with Dread-Lock for most of the first half of the day didn't exactly lend itself to seeing the bigger picture - but that's no reflection on todays game and setup and more a reflection of my lack of ability in being able to push on and keep from getting bogged down.

No, all in all, total win today. Even if we didn't actually win. But still win. Sod it, ye know what I'm trying to say...

And dont forget all that time you spent downed:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭citizenken

Epic day, my first visit to Hrta, definitley not my last,The role playing milsim was something I had'nt tried before (been to mac a few times but its a bit different), but I thouroughly enjoyed it, even the treachery;) (larping)?all in all an education,and some superb players who I can now put a face to.
    Be seeing you all again, soon..:):)
    oh and the burgers:D:D

true the spirit of all the lads(nearly all of them):puntil we got betrayed and shot in the back:D

• Advertisement

P.K wrote: »
    And dont forget all that time you spent downed:D:D

PK, with all due respect, when next we meet I intend to make you pay for pointing that out! :D
    Well played today by the way.

citizenken wrote: »
    Epic day, my first visit to Hrta, definitley not my last,The role playing milsim was something I had'nt tried before (been to mac a few times but its a bit different), but I thouroughly enjoyed it, even the treachery;) (larping)?all in all an education,and some superb players who I can now put a face to.
    Be seeing you all again, soon..:):)
    oh and the burgers:D:D
    Tactical burgers AND milsim are the way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Another good days milsim, now iv more faces for names, lovin the tactical burgers! It's days airsoft,,,,,,,,,,,,,, my red dot will never forget! :p
    hope to see you all out on the field again soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

Thanks a million for all the kind words! There was so much amazing play and things happening today that I can't even remember the half of it.

Regarding more LARP, an option for players was supposed to be having individual objectives, which I completely forgot about until just after starting the game, so I spent the entire day with three decks of objective cards in my pocket. Mad sorry I am. I know information on the story wasn't trickling down too well to the front lines, but anybody I talked to when I was in-character seemed interested and willing to put effort into pursuing it, so I think that bodes well for the future of this type of story-based event.

What was going on was:

A convoy of folks who'd managed to get enough engine parts and fuel together to head for a better life were voyaging across the post-apocalyptic midlands. Unbeknownst to most of them, they were carrying a biological weapon left over from the Last War. Sanjuro Corporation (mercenaries), working for what remains of or at least calls itself the Government (although not actually under their orders), hit the convoy as it passed near Salvage, killing most of the folks in it and making off with the briefcase containing the bio-weapon.

However, upon closer inspection in a hazmat lab, the case turns out to contain four bottles of pre-War alcoholic spirits. Sanjuro send in an operative to make contact with both sides who are squabbling over the bits of the convoy (that was the first time I came into the game in-character, around 3 o'clock). He meets with both leaders individually and tells them that they want the case, they don't care about the scrap between the town and the Acolytes, and that if they don't get the bio-weapon they have a nuke they're going to use to prevent the bio-weapon getting released. Find the briefcase, I'll be back.

Later, the operative returns (the second time I came into the game), with new information from one of their agents saying the weapon wasn't in a briefcase at all, but surgically implanted in one of the passengers of the convoy. "The fact that we're still breathing in and out proves that it wasn't one of the ones we killed; a few must have survived." Find the survivor, my boss is going to nuke the place in 45 minutes.

The Acolytes didn't know anything about that, but the Villagers had managed to get pretty much the full story from the survivor who had tipped his hand too far for his own good. I arrived in the village to find him sedated on the floor of the medical clinic, thanks to their medic and a bag of medications from the factory. The Councillor and some villagers hauled the unconscious carrier through enemy lines to an evacuation point, from which he was taken to the lab to have all this extraneous meat and bone around our bio-weapon chopped off.

Sanjuro didn't actually have a nuke, but that's neither here nor there.

As regards the score, although play was pretty evenly-matched over the course of the day, at the end the objectives were mostly in the Village's hands, so they won by a large points margin. Time holding the enemy headquarters was almost exactly equal for both sides, so it came down to scavenged bits and fuel and medications, most of which ended up in the Village. The survivors (some of them, at least) were working on nicking bits of scavangeable bits and fuel to get the bus up and running again, but didn't quite get enough by the end of the game.

So victory for the Village, nobody gets nuked because that couldn't happen, nobody gets bio-weaponed which is a stroke of luck, and the Acolytes are routed and scattered to the wastelands from whence they came. Salvage retains most of its medication stockpile and gains some interesting bits and pieces, including parts to rebuild a rudimentary computer system, a teddy bear which teaches them to love once again, and Readers Digests from the '60s. And adult incontinence nappies. There is an apocalypse on, you know.

Snaps I took throughout the day are here.

And now the interminable thankyous. You can skip past this because you won't find it interesting.

Thanks to Paul, who's been going far above and beyond the call of duty to help airsoft in Ireland since day 1; it was an honour to run a game at HRTA.

Ronan and Sean for writing the Rules of Engagement and making them openly available, because otherwise there'd have been no rules by which to play today (also I'd never have started playing airsoft).

Co-marshal Dave, co-writer Cian and The Councillor Liam, from the Airsoft Cadre Of Gamers (yes, ACOG, see what we did there).

thermo for taking on the role of The Priest at the last minute when nobody applied for it and Cian from ACOG found himself with a sick baby at the last minute.

Doc and Fay from the Band of Hawks for agreeing to act as survivors without really knowing what it entailed, and playing an absolute blinder.

Everybody who put effort into a costume. There was some intimidatingly good stuff out there today, and I'm not naming names because I didn't get everybody's, but holy crap guys, that was excellent. The delightfully pleasant weather let y'all down by not looking the part as much as the players did.

Hugh and Dwane from ACOG and P.K. from the Band of Hawks for helping out in any way they were asked, practically from the moment the game was announced.

Tad and Kazuma for making this their first airsoft experience! Hope to see more of y'all out there!

And of course everyone who attended, shot people, enacted clever plans, did anything epic\immense\ridiculous, spread the plot, nicked things from the enemy, snuck up on people, threw grenades, dived into cover, jumped out a window and all the millions of other great things that happened.

Finally, if I get around to it...
    Aftermath: Once Upon a Time in Hellsgate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭citizenken

Thanks a million for all the kind words! There was so much amazing play and things happening today that I can't even remember the half of it.

Regarding more LARP, an option for players was supposed to be having individual objectives, which I completely forgot about until just after starting the game, so I spent the entire day with three decks of objective cards in my pocket. Mad sorry I am. I know information on the story wasn't trickling down too well to the front lines, but anybody I talked to when I was in-character seemed interested and willing to put effort into pursuing it, so I think that bodes well for the future of this type of story-based event.

What was going on was:

A convoy of folks who'd managed to get enough engine parts and fuel together to head for a better life were voyaging across the post-apocalyptic midlands. Unbeknownst to most of them, they were carrying a biological weapon left over from the Last War. Sanjuro Corporation (mercenaries), working for what remains of or at least calls itself the Government (although not actually under their orders), hit the convoy as it passed near Salvage, killing most of the folks in it and making off with the briefcase containing the bio-weapon.

However, upon closer inspection in a hazmat lab, the case turns out to contain four bottles of pre-War alcoholic spirits. Sanjuro send in an operative to make contact with both sides who are squabbling over the bits of the convoy (that was the first time I came into the game in-character, around 3 o'clock). He meets with both leaders individually and tells them that they want the case, they don't care about the scrap between the town and the Acolytes, and that if they don't get the bio-weapon they have a nuke they're going to use to prevent the bio-weapon getting released. Find the briefcase, I'll be back.

Later, the operative returns (the second time I came into the game), with new information from one of their agents saying the weapon wasn't in a briefcase at all, but surgically implanted in one of the passengers of the convoy. "The fact that we're still breathing in and out proves that it wasn't one of the ones we killed; a few must have survived." Find the survivor, my boss is going to nuke the place in 45 minutes.

The Acolytes didn't know anything about that, but the Villagers had managed to get pretty much the full story from the survivor who had tipped his hand too far for his own good. I arrived in the village to find him sedated on the floor of the medical clinic, thanks to their medic and a bag of medications from the factory. The Councillor and some villagers hauled the unconscious carrier through enemy lines to an evacuation point, from which he was taken to the lab to have all this extraneous meat and bone around our bio-weapon chopped off.

Sanjuro didn't actually have a nuke, but that's neither here nor there.

As regards the score, although play was pretty evenly-matched over the course of the day, at the end the objectives were mostly in the Village's hands, so they won by a large points margin. Time holding the enemy headquarters was almost exactly equal for both sides, so it came down to scavenged bits and fuel and medications, most of which ended up in the Village. The survivors (some of them, at least) were working on nicking bits of scavangeable bits and fuel to get the bus up and running again, but didn't quite get enough by the end of the game.

So victory for the Village, nobody gets nuked because that couldn't happen, nobody gets bio-weaponed which is a stroke of luck, and the Acolytes are routed and scattered to the wastelands from whence they came. Salvage retains most of its medication stockpile and gains some interesting bits and pieces, including parts to rebuild a rudimentary computer system, a teddy bear which teaches them to love once again, and Readers Digests from the '60s. And adult incontinence nappies. There is an apocalypse on, you know.

Snaps I took throughout the day are here.

And now the interminable thankyous. You can skip past this because you won't find it interesting.

Thanks to Paul, who's been going far above and beyond the call of duty to help airsoft in Ireland since day 1; it was an honour to run a game at HRTA.

Ronan and Sean for writing the Rules of Engagement and making them openly available, because otherwise there'd have been no rules by which to play today (also I'd never have started playing airsoft).

Co-marshal Dave, co-writer Cian and The Councillor Liam, from the Airsoft Cadre Of Gamers (yes, ACOG, see what we did there).

thermo for taking on the role of The Priest at the last minute when nobody applied for it and Cian from ACOG found himself with a sick baby at the last minute.

Doc and Fay from the Band of Hawks for agreeing to act as survivors without really knowing what it entailed, and playing an absolute blinder.

Everybody who put effort into a costume. There was some intimidatingly good stuff out there today, and I'm not naming names because I didn't get everybody's, but holy crap guys, that was excellent. The delightfully pleasant weather let y'all down by not looking the part as much as the players did.

Hugh and Dwane from ACOG and P.K. from the Band of Hawks for helping out in any way they were asked, practically from the moment the game was announced.

Tad and Kazuma for making this their first airsoft experience! Hope to see more of y'all out there!

And of course everyone who attended, shot people, enacted clever plans, did anything epic\immense\ridiculous, spread the plot, nicked things from the enemy, snuck up on people, threw grenades, dived into cover, jumped out a window and all the millions of other great things that happened.

Finally, if I get around to it...
    Aftermath: Once Upon a Time in Hellsgate

Well when you do Im in..:)Thanks again for a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

I had a great day, thanks to all involved and I can only say "up with this sort of thing".

We did somewhat overstep our brief but it all seemed reasonable at the time and it provided a bit more depth than "some of the guys on the village team wear different coloured hats".

Argh, I knew I'd forget something obvious...

HUGE thanks to Fiona from South-East Airsoft for going all-out - driving up from Wexford in the morning, selling stuff that made the difference between a good number of people not being able to play and being able to, and then buying and cooking all those burgers we were eating, on the house. Outstanding, hugely appreciated, and a life-saver.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

4576438932_1bca0e5fde.jpg

Cant stop loling at that

ninja strike!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

TheDoc wrote: »

Cant stop loling at that

ninja strike!

SNAKE!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

The survivor "team" did a lot of odd sort of stuff so here's a summary of what I got up to.

I started out down by the white van, was picked up by some villagers and along with Fayer taken to their mash where they promptly left us completely alone. We revived by having been in the mash for a while and with nobody around to tell use what was going on or why we were there we decided to make a dash for it (I grabbed their siphon tube on the way out). As we were making our escape I was spotted by the councillor whose intentions I didn't know at that point and made a dash for it, when some people turned around and pointed guns at me I shot at them but took a hit and was then executed.

When we (Fayer was also executed) re-spawned we just walked into the Acolyte camp and stood around like we were meant to be there where a long conversation ensued between the survivors as to what we were going to do, it was at this point that Tad told us he had a bio-weapon in his chest and we decided we were leaving him behind. We also stuffed some salvage in our pockets and hid their jugs to slow their looting of our convoy down. The plan as I understood it was to get our guys up and running and then turn on the acolytes, although the villagers weren't doing so good this took the intervention of myself and Fayer to achieve. I then shot a fair number of acolytes in the back only to be betrayed by some other survivors who had their own plans.

At this point the villagers weren't too happy with their state of affairs so when myself and Dwane re-spawned Shane asked us if we could side with them, which we'd already decided to do anyway as we wanted to locate our briefcase full of booze, find out what the hell was going on and maybe get truckin' North again. This turned out to be easy enough, we approached the villagers via the super noisy but well covered river route and made a peace with them, we'd help them and in exchange they'd help us get our bus rolling again, and any of them that wanted to come with us to paradise were welcome to join us.

I think at this stage the acolytes went back to the safe zone en-mass so there was a lot of looting of their base and some confusion over where the loot was meant to go but it all ended up in the village hall eventually just in time for the villagers to need re-spawning en-mass and it all to go right back over to the acolyte base.

I was having fogging issues at this point and was therefore in a foul mood so I took an extra long re-spawn and when I came out I told Shane I was going to steal items of salvage from both sides and hide them in one of the vehicles so that the survivors could get away from this crazy place, he said the only appropriate vehicle was the bus. Again I pretty much just walked into the acolyte base, grabbed some stuff and stowed it upstairs on the bus. I then roped Dwane and Tad into the plan and together we got 6 bits onto the bus including a few stolen from the village hall. Remarkably despite the acolytes posting someone upstairs on the bus they never looted any of it. I'd just gotten a bundle of books from the Councillor and myself and Dwane were on our way to loot the town hall again when we ran into the Councillor, village medic and "government agent" carrying Tad away somewhere, they opened fire on us and I ran. Apparently they thought we were going to attack them for doing something suspicious with one of us, we were going to leave Tad behind anyway and were happy for them to keep him.

I managed to make my escape from the village down to the river where I encountered some villagers who didn't know what was happening but were suspicious of the book under my arm. They started radioing in and knowing what they would find out if they made contact I opened fire but my mag ran dry and that was me done for the day.

So in short, I never found out what happened, didn't find my precious briefcase full of pre-war booze and didn't escape this madness to a paradise of sandy beaches and beautiful women but I did make things pretty interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Interesting read. I'd say about 99% of that info never readed the villagers.

As an afterthought, it might be a good idea to have a sort of narrator on the radio every so often.

TheDoc wrote: »

Cant stop loling at that

ninja strike!
    That was the business.

"Day seems to be going pretty well."
    "Yup. Not bad."
    "Knife kill, knife kill."
    "What?"

Swiftly followed by:

"Sniper! There's a sniper out here! Get out here, I've only got a pistol; I'll watch the prisoner!"
    "Where is he?"
    "Knife kill."

There was a ton of cool stuff happened. Anybody got stories to tell? The village medic jumped out a window to escape a grenade; Dread-Lock held an entire flank pretty much single-handedly for ages; Fayer went after medication for the other survivors so hard he invaded the village right past it.

Bringing out the survivor carrying the bio-weapon near the end was great. The Councillor and village medic were carrying him and we came around a corner and found ourselves face-to-face with two other survivors, and there was this long moment where we all stared at each other. I didn't know what was going on, but apparently the villagers were thinking "Crap, we're rumbled, they know we're handing over their mate" and the survivors were thinking "Crap, we're rumbled, they know we're nicking their stuff". At exactly the same time everybody ran in four different directions firing wildly.

Yeah - Doc was well sneaky with that little episode. All I'll say is that Defenderdude was muttering about 'future blue on blue' prospects!

Dread-lock and the Left Flank was a laugh too.
    Started out with three villagers pinning three of us down before we hit one of there's and decided to try take their medic out. That led to prolonged and pointless engagement that had us down to pistols after ammo ran out or primary guns were knocked out. By then it seemed Dread was the only one left and we'd run down to two (myself and Hardtop). I managed to crawl over The Mound to get an angle on Dread and as he was successfully taking aim on my baldy head, Hardtop legged it around the mound in the open, stood a few feet away, said 'how's it going' before brapping him!
    Honour was only partially restored by taking Dread prisoner. Good laugh though...

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Ah me and my big mouth. Well hey it got the plot out there somewhat.

It would be interesting to hear if people wanted more talking plot or less. Since more talking means less fighting.

From what I understand the plot wasn't part of the objectives to get points from the items and flag raising. Left in the hands of roleplayers, we formed a third faction, which wasn't really planned.

In larp there tends to be many small groups with their own objectives plans. There are no victory conditions, its about the experience of playing in the game.

Obviously Milsim is primarily about roleplaying. I know some people where not happy with the treachery. Its the norm at larps. The part of the game at the end with the convoy working with the village, but not trusting each other, secretly doing things behind the others back is pure larp.

So get stuff = points = milsim
    Solve problems with talking/fighting = roleplay

What kind of mixture of the above two would airsofters like.

I had a great time playing. Just have to learn to not be hit so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

TBH i enjoyed it yesterday tried to larp if was asked question directly me and a few of the villagers didn't really trust them survivor's at all when they switched to us but followed along with orders anyway but watched are backs , which kinda added to the fun of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Necron99

sounds like a great day was had, kicking myself I couldn't make it. Had the clan over to annoy me all weekend.

Can't wait to see what you have planned for the next one, which I shall definatly make :D

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭flashinbluelite

Me and DEAFender dude walking along.........

then suddenly from behind i hear...

"knife kill"

im like "huh"

"knife kill, KNIFE KILL"

still quite confused whats going on....

"knife kill".............i finally get it.....i drop to the ground

"knife kill" defenderdude is downed.......
    Doc runs between two buildings....
    a hail of BB's follow him......."HIT" he screams , "Dam it , im on your team" he follows his upset cry of hittage with......
    "BLUE MEDIC" his final cry.....
    I sit on the ground with a smug look on my face, yes i was pwned by a hand that was in fact a knife, but that bb....... was in fact a little bit of honesty in a day riddled in lies....

GREAT day good work to all....

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Me and DEAFender dude walking along.........

then suddenly from behind i hear...

"knife kill"

im like "huh"

"knife kill, KNIFE KILL"

still quite confused whats going on....

"knife kill".............i finally get it.....i drop to the ground

"knife kill" defenderdude is downed.......
    Doc runs between two buildings....
    a hail of BB's follow him......."HIT" he screams , "Dam it , im on your team" he follows his upset cry of hittage with......
    "BLUE MEDIC" his final cry.....
    I sit on the ground with a smug look on my face, yes i was pwned by a hand that was in fact a knife, but that bb....... was in fact a little bit of honesty in a day riddled in lies....

GREAT day good work to all....

You know i think i shot him i came around the corner saw red team and opened fire :)

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭gungun

i had a bit of the skirmish "kill kill" in me at one point, saw someones german helmet (not sure who that was) over the top of the mound infront of the bus and without think lept up and said knife kill, as i crawled back down i heard doc burst into laughter, i just thought to myself: "aaahhhhhhhhhh shhhhhhite" :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭madmaxi

Argh, I knew I'd forget something obvious...

HUGE thanks to Fiona from South-East Airsoft for going all-out - driving up from Wexford in the morning, selling stuff that made the difference between a good number of people not being able to play and being able to, and then buying and cooking all those burgers we were eating, on the house. Outstanding, hugely appreciated, and a life-saver.

You are more than welcome Shane, it was our way of feeding the crowd on the go.:)
    In fairness, Steve ordered them, Paul and myself cooked and you boys ate them. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement