Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moycullen Fire

Options
  • 23-04-2010 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭

Don't know whether to put it in City or County forum, apologies if it's not in the appropriate

Just seen in Facebook theres a huge fire in Moycullen by a number of status updates.

Can anyone shed some light?

Comments

PomBear wrote: »
    Don't know whether to put it in City or County forum, apologies if it's not in the appropriate

Just seen in Facebook theres a huge fire in Moycullen by a number of status updates.

Can anyone shed some light?

Saw this alright, was playing soccer up the Drom(Salthill Devon-Tonabrucky-2mins up the backroads from Knocknacarra) at 8 and you could see a fire burning in the distance, looked quite big considering it was a distance away, don't think it was that far away?... it looked walkable although i suppose there is clear sight through the fields so maybe it was further then it looked.

There was one burning and smoke coming from 3/4 areas to the sides with no visable flames, didnt look like there were any houses near there so from that aspect it should be ok, although it looked like an area the fire brigade would struggle to reach bar on foot

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I was driving home from a job in Westport and it looked spectacular in the didtance once i got near Headford. Looked massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Simarillion

They're gorse fires between Moycullen and Spiddal. About 700 acres on fire. Pretty phenomenal.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0423/breaking5.html

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

City->County

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pbt20

7EB9A823B13B4333AF9178874BABEC31.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Fire was on the north side of the Road from spiddle-Moycullen near moycullen.

Cars just about made it through...some turned back.
    Flames were across the road !!

Brigade arrived around 6:30pm...hope they control it.

Heard of a big mountain fire in Kilkieran Connemara earlier...helicopter out.

Hope these fires are not malicious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

ArraMusha wrote: »
    Fire was on the north side of the Road from spiddle-Moycullen near moycullen.

Cars just about made it through...some turned back.
    Flames were across the road !!

Brigade arrived around 6:30pm...hope they control it.

Heard of a big mountain fire in Kilkieran Connemara earlier...helicopter out.

Hope these fires are not malicious?

A woman in a car saw two lads lighting fires, I think it was in the Connemara View or some other paper. That fire you mention is still going though it looks much smaller now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Leilany

I drove through that one earlier, it was spreading so quickly it was scary.
    I have since seen 3 fire brigades heading out towards oughterard, the latest one only going out there 5 minutes ago!!

Advertisement