Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this "Eldorado" wood?

Options
  • 23-04-2010 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all :)

Browsing through a wood sample set from a supplier i came across that nicely colored wood labeled "Eldorado". However searching the Internet for "wood" and "eldorado" did not yield many relevant hits. The only thing i found is that it is used by a snowboard maker but i still have no idea of what it is.

I asked the supplier, but he himself does not know exactly what it is. It seems to come from Brazil. He did previously ask his supplier but did not get any useful information...

From the small sample i have it seems medium heavy and quite hard - hardly dent it with a fingernail.

What is this "Eldorado" wood?:

Eldorado%20Wood%20Sample%2001_800.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 patmurris

Well, after asking around, i determined this timber is most likely Canary wood - Tarara Amarilla , Centrolobium spp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

patmurris wrote: »
    Well, after asking around, i determined this timber is most likely Canary wood - Tarara Amarilla , Centrolobium spp.
    Looks like rosewood to me mate cant be sure but they use it to make the necks of guitars, out of curiostity where did you get the sample

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 patmurris

tiocimarla wrote: »
    Looks like rosewood to me mate cant be sure but they use it to make the necks of guitars, out of curiostity where did you get the sample
    Well, rosewood is rather vague... Guitar fingerboards are usually made with east indian rosewood (Dalbergia latifolia) which is much darker with some purple in it. Maybe you mean 'bois de rose' aka tulip wood? I've seen a lot of pictures and got several similar opinions, this is most certainly canary wood. It comes from a French supplier: Kauffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

Yes the sample you have up is far duller that the stuf i have worked with. My friend snapped his guitar in a jam with a few friends and i had the job of fixing it. the sample of cherrywood is almost identicle to the grain and colour of the neck i mended. its a quality wood

Advertisement