Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uluru / Ayers Rock would you climb it?

Options
  • 23-04-2010 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Well would you?

I think I would. I know its a sacred place for the Aboriginal owners and they give the following reasons not to climb it:

1. The climbing route is a sacred path of spiritual significance that is only taken by few Aboriginal men on special occasions.

2. People have been hurt and people have died when climbing Ayers Rock. The traditional owners feel responsible for these accidents.

But if I was to go all that way to the red center and not climb it I feel like I would regret it.

Uluru / Ayers Rock would you climb it? 29 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    27%
    DocrobinphraddoMahatma coatMellorCathalDublindunleakelleherStinicker 8 votes
    Don’t know until I get there.
    72%
    CiaranCThe SweeperpclancyhusseyBacchusneilmDiageio_MandoriansmithXavi6Coileach dearginternelligentTraqkazza90210m@cc@RedNiamhyhairyleprechaunscientific1982NikNakOooafkasurfjunkiejonnybravo 21 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No cause I'm afraid of heights

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Furthermore, the sandstone rock suffers erosion and human waste is washed down into waterholes by rain.

I personally wouldn't, in the same way I wouldn't piss on or walk over a church altar. I'm not part of these people's culture but if it's sacred to them, then I think it's worthy of respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

No
    m@cc@ wrote: »
    Furthermore, the sandstone rock suffers erosion and human waste is washed down into waterholes by rain.

I personally wouldn't, in the same way I wouldn't piss on or walk over a church altar. I'm not part of these people's culture but if it's sacred to them, then I think it's worthy of respect.

I wouldn’t piss on it but it’s a sacred path of spiritual significance that is taken by few Aboriginal men on special occasions so it’s not the same thing as an altar that is never walked on. Aboriginal men walk on it. To me it’s more akin to walking up Croagh Patrick then dancing on the alter of a church.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

When I went there a few years ago I remember the tour guide giving us a huge talk on why we should climb it - disrespectful etc etc

the next day there was a school tour with flouro purple tshirts with the print
    "Australian NT cultural tour - <name of school>"

and they all climbed it :rolleyes:

Doc wrote: »
    I wouldn’t piss on it but it’s a sacred path of spiritual significance that is taken by few Aboriginal men on special occasions so it’s not the same thing as an altar that is never walked on. Aboriginal men walk on it. To me it’s more akin to walking up Croagh Patrick then dancing on the alter of a church.

Yeah, but it's not all Aboriginal men. It's a select few and in that sense, it would akin to church clergy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

But they ask you NOT to walk up it their sacred site.

Which is not really comparable to walking up Croagh Patrick where everyone is welcome ......

hussey wrote: »
    But they ask you NOT to walk up it their sacred site.

Which is not really comparable to walking up Croagh Patrick where everyone is welcome ......

It's the same as in the Sacré Cœur in Paris, it would be nice to take photos and you probably could get away with it, but because you're asked not to, you just don't do it.

I guess there is the argument that the aboriginals don't own Uluru but I dunno, I just respect the wishes of the people of the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Was there last week and didn't climb it. Regardless of the aboriginal rules (which I think should be respected), what's the point. You get a higher view of the vast nothingness that surrounds it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No
    Think I'd want to climb up it if I'd gone that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

No
    Been there done that, tour guide said don't mind the all that rubbish and climb it if you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭dunleakelleher

No
    Well would you?

I think I would. I know its a sacred place for the Aboriginal owners and they give the following reasons not to climb it:

1. The climbing route is a sacred path of spiritual significance that is only taken by few Aboriginal men on special occasions.

2. People have been hurt and people have died when climbing Ayers Rock. The traditional owners feel responsible for these accidents.

But if I was to go all that way to the red center and not climb it I feel like I would regret it.

Ya, i would. Why not.
    1. What about our sacred places. Hill of Tara, Newgrange and so on.
    2.People have been killed on Skellig Michael.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It is a difficult decision, tbh. I never felt the urge to climb it but part of me felt I wished to respect what culture the Aborigines had left, and another part thought 'sure no one owns a bloody rock, when will I be here again, etc'.
    When I got there, it was closed off anyway, so I walked around the base. I think I probably saw a lot of cool aspects of the rock that way, from all the different sides and even managed to bump into a Thorny Devil. I guess I was glad the rock was closed that day, as it made my mind up for me, plus I am lazy :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

No
    Climbed it, it was great, would recommend it to everyone, the Abbos want you to go there and spend loads of your money, but ask that you dont partake in the one thing that most people go there for :confused:

I could think of many off colour analogies for that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Climbed it, it was great, would recommend it to everyone, the Abbos want you to go there and spend loads of your money, but ask that you dont partake in the one thing that most people go there for :confused:

I could think of many off colour analogies for that ;)

Where are you getting your information :confused:

The Aborigines were forced.... sorry I mean "negotiated" terms with the Aus government in which they would be given back Uluru but only after "leasing" it to the Aussies for 99 years. The Aborigines don't want you or your money, the Aus government do. The Aborigines have simply accepted that people will visit Uluru but at the very least request that you do not walk it. It is a very sacred place for them.

Been there done that, tour guide said don't mind the all that rubbish and climb it if you want

Classic!

Advertisement