Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving family to Rathowen

• 23-04-2010 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Just wondering what is around for 2 boys 7 and 9 to do?

Is there a local GAA club?
    Is there much activities on for kids in the area or is everything in Mullingar?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

When I was younger there was nothing to keep kids entertained in the village itself if you ask me. I don't know if its changed since.

From what I recall (I lived outside of the village) there was table tennis and basketball held down in the hall once or twice a week (but I think this may have been in Winter only but not sure). The nearest GAA club would be either Bunbrosna or Streete/Multy. I also think a kids rugby team has recently been set up over in Streete. There may be activities held in Edgeworthstown on a Saturday as my brother did guitar lessons for a while a few years back.

I've been out of Rathowen for a few years now but I know when I was growing up there wasn't much to do unless you liked table tennis or basketball.

On a positive note, its not the worst place to live, very accessible and having the bus stopping in the village is definitely a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

Thanks for your reply..........am killed trying to figure out the best place to buy a house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

will your children be going to school locally? i know in multyfarnham theres plenty of gaa and a youth club for the local children. they do all sorts of activities like art and cooking and go to the lake for activities during the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Hmm interesting

:)there is a local GAA club in Bunbrosna and Rathowen but also in Streete 3 villages within 5-6miles of each other. There is also a large playground area just opened in both Streete and Rathowen as recently as 3mths ago. i moved out to Lismacaffrey (6miles past Rathowen church) 12 mnths ago last December gone but my 8yr old still plays for his team in Mullingar, depends on what you are looking for but Rathowen is a nice quiet place still on the N4 and easy access to Mullingar or Longford town for Shopping:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

there's only a matter of miles between Rathowen, Multyfarnham, Edgeworthstown and Streete. If you did not mind traveling that far to drop the kids off Rathowen is fine. Its a quiet place and very accessible god forbid you were ever left without your car for some reason.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies!

The driving is no problem, we have 2 cars in the family.

Have been to visit the village and its def quiet.

If we get the house my 2 will be attending the local NS alright.
    Big change, their current school has 170 pupils, and their old school in Dublin had 700!!
    I have been googling Mullingar facilities and there seems to be plenty on there (and we dont mind the driving) anyway.

We're a same sex couple so another query is what the local attitudes are likely to be, worried because it is such a small village.

Ta again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Hmm interesting

can be narrow minded with some of the older population, which is true of any village in Ireland or the world over for that case. But on a whole I don't think people really mind your sexual orientation so long as your willing to have the craic(no pun intended:D). It can be a lovely place and will be as friendly or as private as you want it to be good luck either way

Well I spent ages on google and Mullingar has loads in it to do.

I think we were a bit spoiled living in Dublin, where everything is within a small radius and there is so much choice BUT its much better living on a country lane than right beside the M1/M50 ! (it has taken a while getting used to single lane driving ! lol)

Sounds like Rathowen is a nice quiet village. Just have to wait and see about this house buying business now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

I have relatives in Rathowen and they enjoy living there, It's a nice
    village and there is plenty to do for kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

mollzer wrote: »
    Mullingar has loads in it to do....

Are you for real man, Mullingar ?!?!

How long have i been gone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

cinema
    bowling - and kids play area
    swimming -2 pools
    fishing
    boating
    sports - GAA, soccer, rugby, athletics, cycling
    gyms - 3/4 at last count

Why move to Rathowen??? there is very little in that village. and the main road runs through it, so its not the safest for kids.
    Why not get a house closer to Mullingar. Or even Longford?

cinema
    bowling - and kids play area
    swimming -2 pools
    fishing
    boating
    sports - GAA, soccer, rugby, athletics, cycling
    gyms - 3/4 at last count

Why move to Rathowen??? there is very little in that village. and the main road runs through it, so its not the safest for kids.
    Why not get a house closer to Mullingar. Or even Longford?

And a tennis club and music school!

The reason for move to Rathowen is house with a large site. Unfortunately when looking for a house to purchase its near impossible to find a country house with a large site (1acre or more) within our price range,near any big towns. I know, because I have looked. Daft.ie is my best friend the past few months!

The village itself is tiny, and has the N4 as its main road, but it is within shouting distance of Mullingar and the M4 to Dublin, plus railway station in Edgeworthstown.
    Thanks for all replies on this.

mollzer wrote: »
    And a tennis club and music school!

The reason for move to Rathowen is house with a large site. Unfortunately when looking for a house to purchase its near impossible to find a country house with a large site (1acre or more) within our price range,near any big towns. I know, because I have looked. Daft.ie is my best friend the past few months!

The village itself is tiny, and has the N4 as its main road, but it is within shouting distance of Mullingar and the M4 to Dublin, plus railway station in Edgeworthstown.
    Thanks for all replies on this.

remember there are two schools in Rathowen!
    plus a few more small rural schools around the area - eg Glen which is near Edgeworthstown

remember there are two schools in Rathowen!
    plus a few more small rural schools around the area - eg Glen which is near Edgeworthstown

Is the 2 schools in the village both catholic? or one catholic, one church of ireland?
    And I would be interested in finding out the names of other schools in the area, just to broaden the choice... thanks

one school is catholic ethos, the other church of Ireland. much less kids in the c.o.i school.

I'd say Glen is the nearest rural school to Rathowen. then you have Edgeworthstown. Legan. Ballynacargy.

one school is catholic ethos, the other church of Ireland. much less kids in the c.o.i school.

I'd say Glen is the nearest rural school to Rathowen. then you have Edgeworthstown. Legan. Ballynacargy.

Thanks a million for the reply.

Advertisement