Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

oil boiler went on fire

• 23-04-2010 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Im living in a 3 bed semi d in wexford. 5 rads upstairs and 5 downstairs. my oil boiler went on fire due to faulty wiring a couple of weeks ago and im up to my tonsils with plumbers. feel like im being done so any advice much appreciated. Ins company are gonna pay out for it and have approved the quote i got but now i want to make the best use of the money.

1st guy quoted me 2200 to replace boiler and burner all in
    The girl from ins company said this price was very steep and get a second quote

2nd guy quoted me 1800 for a gem high efficiency boiler and burner and do a few bits with the rads upstairs.
    ins company happy with that and so was i.

I had never heard of gem boilers so i decided to ask a friend of a friend about them and he said they're not in the country anymore so its going to be a nightmare to get parts in the future.

I had asked the 2nd plumber would i have any issues with getting parts for it and he said no.

A friend of mine has a contact in the business and he said he can get me a firebird burner and boiler and pump with a nice housing for 1300. so i would just need to get someone to fit it but i dont think its high efficiency.

any advice much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

For €1300 the Firebird will be HE.

Gem is Gercross or was. they use a riello burners as do most other boiler makers inc firebird, so getting parts won't be a problem.

Across the makers there isn't a huge differance in price of boilers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

I used to use Firebird but I use Grant now, I find them far superior and they are a bit cheaper too. They are also the most efficient on the market according to the SEDBUK website. They also use Riello RDB burners and every heating merchants in the country would have parts for them. Make sure your heating system is power flushed before the new boiler goes in.

Advertisement