Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 320d E46 - Is the 136bhp reliable?

Options
  • 23-04-2010 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking at cars specifically 3 series bmw's around 2-4k.

One of my friends told me that the 320d is very unreliable with turbo failures and swirlflaps and dual mass flywheels. - Is this true?
    Or is it just the 150bhp version that has all the problems?

Would I be better off going for a 318i petrol over the 320d?
    Or would I be better off with the fuel savings of the diesel and just hope I'm lucky and nothing goes wrong?
    I don't do really high miles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi,

One of my friends told me that the 320d is very unreliable with turbo failures and swirlflaps and dual mass flywheels. - Is this true?

Or would I be better off with the fuel savings of the diesel and just hope I'm lucky and nothing goes wrong?

The petrol version is fairly reliable once you look after the cooling system. If your not doing massive mileage that the one to go for in terms of reliability.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi,

the swirl flap problem is a very easy problem to fix, just change the crank case breather filter at every service and your laughing, its only an extra 12e iirc.

i know i would rarther the 6 spped 150bhp version tbh.

try buy a car that this has been done on before so you know theres no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

Hi,

no swirl flaps on the 136bhp model iirc and turbo is not as unreliable as the 02-04 150bhp model. at this age and price range a 2.0 318 is probably a better buy from a reliability point of view

Advertisement