Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rolex Watch problem

Options
  • 23-04-2010 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi I have a Rolex Zephyr mid seventies (I think) and it keeps perfect time - except when I wear it. Every time I put it on my wrist it loses about twenty mins in the hour. If I take the watch off it will keep perfect time again. This is only a recent problem... Does anybody have any ideas?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sounds like serious positional errors creeping in. Could be a balance problem. Which way do you leave it when you take it off your wrist? Presumably on a flat surface face up? OK try it face down and see the diff, then try it in upright in a watch case and see the difference of any. Of one of them is obviously off there's the position it doesnt like. If you stand a lot then the vertical crown down position might be the problem? Id get a watchmaker to regulate it and see if that sorts it. I doubt it will. 20 mins per hour is a lot. I'd say something in the balance has gone screwy.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mollio

Hi thanks for the reply... I will try as you suggested and see... but I think I will have to bite the bullet and bring it in for repair... I just hate feeling I'm being over-charged just because it's a rolex...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe seek out an independent watchmaker rather than a main dealer(who will likely pass it on to an independent guy or gal anyway).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Do you haev any contact with magnetic fields or eclectrical fields? Magnetism can slow or stop old watches and if its brief you may not notice.

I had an old omega I'd set beside the bed at night and it would be stopped in the morning. Wtf? It was my gf's mother who suggested the clock/radio/alarm by the bed was to blame and she was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Do you haev any contact with magnetic fields or eclectrical fields? Magnetism can slow or stop old watches and if its brief you may not notice.

I had an old omega I'd set beside the bed at night and it would be stopped in the morning. Wtf? It was my gf's mother who suggested the clock/radio/alarm by the bed was to blame and she was right.

Magnets in the speakers play havoc with various metals in the mechanism of the watch. I used to hear a small humming/buzzing sound at night. It drove me mad as I could not locate the source. Eventually figured out it was my Omega interacting with the clock radio (largish speaker). The watch now goes on a different shelf;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 henryhenry1

mollio wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the reply... I will try as you suggested and see... but I think I will have to bite the bullet and bring it in for repair... I just hate feeling I'm being over-charged just because it's a rolex...

Try Time express in Middle Abbey st above Twisted Pepper, he is reasonable.....or the guy on Dawson street who deals in rolex's, surely cheaper than weirs

never thought of that... kept the watch beside my bed but a lot of electrial stuff in the room. Funnily I kept the watch in a hall table drawer while deciding what to do... I tried wearing it aagin recently and it's started to keep perfect time again - regardless of whether I'm wearing it or not.

Try Time express in Middle Abbey st above Twisted Pepper, he is reasonable.....or the guy on Dawson street who deals in rolex's, surely cheaper than weirs
    will do thanks

Advertisement